Downloads
    Uploads

L3/ Insight ATPIAL-C Class1/3R IR Laser

TNVC is accepting pre-orders for the ATPIAL-C for civilian use. If you've ever wanted to own a PEQ-15, but could not either obtain one, afford one, or were worried about the complete lack of support if you ever needed warranty work, this IR laser device is for you.

Description:

The ATPIAL-C (Advanced Target Pointer/Illuminator Aiming Laser – Commercial) is a multi-function Class1 & Class 3R Infrared/Visible laser from L-3/Insight Technology. It features an Infrared Laser Pointer, Visible Laser Pointer (Red), and Infrared Laser Illuminator. Based on the standard issue AN/PEQ-15 (Class IIIb) for the U.S. Warfighter, the ATPIAL-C’s Class1/3R power makes it completely eye-safe and available to the general public. Class1 Infrared Lasers feature a 0.7mW rating which is not restricted by the FDA. Class1 Infrared Laser Pointers will easily reach out to 450 yards, encompassing most target engagement ranges when paired with a night vision goggle for the civilian and law enforcement professional. Considering that Gen3 Night Vision Goggles have a maximum target identification range of 100-115 yards, the 450 yard range of the ATPIAL-C is perfect.

The ATPIAL-C is a MILSPEC laser system, taken off the same production line as its full power counterpart, the ATPIAL. The only difference is the ATPIAL-C is fitted with a Class1 infrared laser pointer diode and Class 3R infrared laser illuminator (fixed focus) diode, instead of the full power (restricted) Class IIIb diodes. All other parts, components, and accessories are exactly the same as the standard issue AN/PEQ-15. The Red Visible and Infrared Laser Pointers are slaved so that zeroing one will zero the other in tandem. The Infrared Laser Illuminator is a true laser illuminator system, producing no bright downrange visible signature as seen in infrared LED’s. In order to stay within civilian legal guidelines, the Illuminator is lower power, able to reach 150 yards and is non-adjustable. This is perfect for short to medium range engagements. Like the full power ATPIAL, the ATPIAL-C’s Infrared Illuminator can be used to wash out the bloom of the Infrared Laser Pointer at engagement distances.

The ATPIAL-C is a low profile laser system that mounts to any standard M1913 Picatinny Rail. It’s design allows it to sit lower on the rail than most other lasers, creating a “saddle bag” affect, so as not to impede the shooter’s sight picture when mounted at the 12 o’clock position. Its glass-reinforced high-strength polymer body housing is very robust and impact resistant. The unit features a simple dial selector for changing the output settings on top of the housing. Activation is achieved via the included remote pressure pad or on-board “fire” button. A rear-facing battery compartment makes changing batteries simple and convenient, even when the unit is pushed all the way forward against a standard AR Front Sight Base (by the way: you should never store your expensive night vision and lasers with the batteries installed). Windage and elevation adjustments require a small flat head screw driver and produce positive clicks.

The ATPIAL-C is the closest thing an individual can get to the standard issue full power ATPIAL.

Specifications:

Manufacturer: L3/ Insight Technology
    Dimensions: 4.6″(L) x 2.8″(W) x 1.6″(H)
    Weight: 7.5 oz. w/ Battery
    Power: One (1) 3V DL123A Battery
    Battery Life: >6 Hours in Dual High
    Waterproof: 6 Meters for One Hour
    Warranty: 1 Year Warranty

Infrared Laser Spec:
    —————————————————-
    IR Laser Class: Class1
    IR Laser Output: 0.7 mW
    IR Laser Divergence: 0.5 mRad
    IR Laser Wavelength: 820nm – 850nm
    IR Laser Range: >450 Yards

Visible Laser Spec:
    —————————————————-
    Visible Laser Class: IIIR Red
    Visible Laser Output: 4.6 mW
    Visible Laser Divergence: 0.5 mRad
    Visible Laser Wavelength: 605nm – 665nm
    Visible Laser Range: >25 Meters in Direct Sun

IR Illuminator Specs:
    —————————————————-
    IR Illuminator Class: IIIR Infrared
    IR Illuminator Output: 3 mW
    IR Illuminator Divergence: 105 mRad
    IR Illuminator Wavelength: 820nm – 850nm
    IR Illuminator Range: >150 Yards

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've always wondered what this device is for. Is it for marking targets for incoming laser-guided munitions? Or is it for the infantryman with night vision to use as a laser pointer for his individual weapon? Both, perhaps?

Downloads
    Uploads
    What the hell is a Class IIIR? That's not really an acknowledged class in all of the (innumerable) laser safety officer classes I've had to take/give.

Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    I've always wondered what this device is for. Is it for marking targets for incoming laser-guided munitions? Or is it for the infantryman with night vision to use as a laser pointer for his individual weapon? Both, perhaps?
    This is certainly not a laser pointer (which would be more along the lines of an IZLID) and it's definitely not for marking targets for guided weapons (which requires a 3b laser in a MUCH higher power output class). Personally, I think it's for guys with commercial NODs that need a non-FDA laser...and for guys that want to dress up their rifle to look MILSPEC YO!!1!1!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me, it's a $1200 photo prop.

Got do some limited night shooting with NODs, expensive habit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's for ZeroDarkThirty reenactments.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think they did a good job of making something that the mil uses for civvies. But that's way too rich for my blood. Nice to have though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is there really even much application in the civilian world of the psuedo AN/PEQ-15?

My only thought, would be in close quarters where you aren't able to acquire your sights (due to the cover available, etc) - and then use and shoot off of the laser, since you can zero it (if I read that right).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hunting with NODs is about the only other practical application I can come up with.