Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I shot a lot of two gun matches in Montana. The whole club was run by a USAF Master Sergeant who had us run drills over and over, with a monthly informal match for some money.

I now focus mainly on fundamentals. I don't shoot for groups, necessarily, but I try to focus on first rounds hits of a target of a given size at a given range within a given amount, from various positions. I really enjoyed getting behind a bipod and scope and shooting at long ranges, but I find a lot of satisfaction in making hits on small targets from awkward positions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    People shooting.
    Do that a lot, do you?
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    How do you guys define "recreational shooting". That's what I consider my match shooting. Are you talking about plinking? Something else? What do you plink... at?
    I should have been more clear about the term. For me, recreational shooting is:
    -zeroing/confirming zero
    -satisfying my OCD need to know how each gun groups on paper at 100
    -slapping some steel at distance
    -random plinking on some buddies' property
    -function/accuracy testing of handloads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do that a lot, do you?
    Can't say really, lawyers would kill me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a recreational shooter here as well. I like silhouette targets at varying distance. Prefer pistol over rifle. Most of my shooting anymore is with my sister, working on defensive shooting.
    It's difficult to soar with eagles, when you work with turkeys...

Downloads
    Uploads
    How do you guys define "recreational shooting". That's what I consider my match shooting. Are you talking about plinking? Something else? What do you plink... at?
    Going to the dollar store and buying up the melons and heading to the desert. Watching a watermelon explode never gets old. Thats my definition of recreational.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Naytwan View Post
    Going to the dollar store and buying up the melons and heading to the desert. Watching a watermelon explode never gets old. Thats my definition of recreational.

When I was in college we would go plinking. Always stopped at Walmart for a case of Sam's Choice cola to shake up and use as targets. Very entertaining.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I was in college we would go plinking. Always stopped at Walmart for a case of Sam's Choice cola to shake up and use as targets. Very entertaining.
    Yeah, we had a bunch of dollar store sodas as well. Your right very entertaining.

Downloads
    Uploads
    New here, but I shoot at the range and coyote hunt with my ar. I built it for those purposes and also as a home defense gun. It's the gun my wife shoots the absolute best. It's just an overall well functioning firearm. I just barely started coyote hunting last month, so I haven't actually taken one yet, but soon hopefully!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by surfish95747 View Post
    New here, but I shoot at the range and coyote hunt with my ar. I built it for those purposes and also as a home defense gun. It's the gun my wife shoots the absolute best. It's just an overall well functioning firearm. I just barely started coyote hunting last month, so I haven't actually taken one yet, but soon hopefully!

Yotes are evasive lil rascals
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Recently I've been pushing myself in the precision arena, and within the limitations of my rifle (std chrome-lined M4 barrel free-floated, std trigger) I've been making some improvements. Last weekend I was able to shoot a 8" group at 686 yds (1.1 MOA) with Fiocci Exacta 77 SMK.

BTW, this is an awesome forum! I've lurked and read the articles since the site's beginning, but Stick's giveaway was the impetus to join the forum itself, and now I'm wondering why I didn't do it sooner.
    If you are local to me (F-M area) send me a PM, I'd love to shoot sometime.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm somewhat new too. Welcome fellas!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I try to build all my rifles with hunting in mind, one of the reasons I like the .277 line for an AR so much. I do like trying to make the tiny bug holes here and there mostly because it lets me know all my fundamentals are consistent and well a half inch group or better at 100yds is pretty dang satisfying. Recently got to shoot the steel at distance and liked it so much I got a set in the mail now, I think it will up the fun level of shooting for the wife alot. Would love to do some 2 or 3 gun eventually but the downside of middle GA is most of this is done several hours north of me. Just not alot of ranges in the area. Starting to get more into trying some drills and practice with the AR as a defensive weapon since ive truly come to like the platform and hey it can't hurt right I just like to shoot anyway. But honestly for defensive drills I try to stay more in tune with the handgun since this is what I would have on me in places I feel a real world threat could possibly happen.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm still testing the one I built. I don't think I'll be hunting deer with it when hunting season starts in around a month. I'm likely to go ahead and use my old .303 Lee Enfield. Haven't decided yet for sure though. During the dark nights of winter it will be the go to gun for checking the livestock. I've had to shoot at coyotes and wolves and on the pitch black nights, that's a problem. That's why I built the AR - so it would have the tac light available.

Partly it will depend on if I can get any heavier grain ammo above 55 grain. If I don't, then I'll most definitely be using my .303 or my 30/30 lever action Marlin. 55 grain .223 is a pretty crappy bullet for taking down a whitetail deer and I have 2 deer tags I'll fill.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    I'm still testing the one I built. I don't think I'll be hunting deer with it when hunting season starts in around a month. I'm likely to go ahead and use my old .303 Lee Enfield. Haven't decided yet for sure though. During the dark nights of winter it will be the go to gun for checking the livestock. I've had to shoot at coyotes and wolves and on the pitch black nights, that's a problem. That's why I built the AR - so it would have the tac light available.

Partly it will depend on if I can get any heavier grain ammo above 55 grain. If I don't, then I'll most definitely be using my .303 or my 30/30 lever action Marlin. 55 grain .223 is a pretty crappy bullet for taking down a whitetail deer and I have 2 deer tags I'll fill.
    Sounds like a 6.8 upper needed. Would be cool to take some deer with the Enfield though.