So this isn't a traditional "custom" build but I thought I'd post it here.

Today, I got an email from the department telling me in late November I would have to switch my patrol rifle to an issued gun, the Smith and Wesson M&P15. I don't think this is even the MOE version. This wasn't a request but a directive. I have to change over.

So the gun comes with basically nothing, no light, no red dot, no anything. If we want accessories, we have to buy them ourselves. They have to be from an approved list, and one of the armorers will put it on. However the accessories can not be permanent. So, I'm stuck with drop in handguards, sling attachments that don't involve replacing the end plate, and things of that nature.

For the last ... oh I don't know almost 5 years, I've been using a personally owned Noveske. I've had zero issues with the gun, and it worked well for me. I'm going to miss my patrol rifle. The rifle started life as a Stock Skinny MOE version. The gun has worked well for me, and it's been as accurate as you'd expect from a CL-Noveske Barrel. The Centurion Arms C4 Cutout Rail is a little old-school-ish with the quad rail, but it's worked well and has a lot of dings and anodizing missing getting beat up from a class or two. The only thing I had always been meaning to swap out was the Surefire M952V for a Scout Light.

Here's a picture Stick took for me last year:

I'll have to give it some thought on what kind of accesssories I will require to bring a Stock M&P15 up to snuff with a white light, red dot, and quality sling.

Does anyone even make 7" Drop in Rails anymore? I'm going to look into a KAC RAS. Aimpoint Optic, and probably a Surefire Scout.

Suggestions welcome, and I'll update this later on when I know more.