Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Patrol Rifle Swap

So this isn't a traditional "custom" build but I thought I'd post it here.

Today, I got an email from the department telling me in late November I would have to switch my patrol rifle to an issued gun, the Smith and Wesson M&P15. I don't think this is even the MOE version. This wasn't a request but a directive. I have to change over.

So the gun comes with basically nothing, no light, no red dot, no anything. If we want accessories, we have to buy them ourselves. They have to be from an approved list, and one of the armorers will put it on. However the accessories can not be permanent. So, I'm stuck with drop in handguards, sling attachments that don't involve replacing the end plate, and things of that nature.

For the last ... oh I don't know almost 5 years, I've been using a personally owned Noveske. I've had zero issues with the gun, and it worked well for me. I'm going to miss my patrol rifle. The rifle started life as a Stock Skinny MOE version. The gun has worked well for me, and it's been as accurate as you'd expect from a CL-Noveske Barrel. The Centurion Arms C4 Cutout Rail is a little old-school-ish with the quad rail, but it's worked well and has a lot of dings and anodizing missing getting beat up from a class or two. The only thing I had always been meaning to swap out was the Surefire M952V for a Scout Light.

Here's a picture Stick took for me last year:

I'll have to give it some thought on what kind of accesssories I will require to bring a Stock M&P15 up to snuff with a white light, red dot, and quality sling.

Does anyone even make 7" Drop in Rails anymore? I'm going to look into a KAC RAS. Aimpoint Optic, and probably a Surefire Scout.

Suggestions welcome, and I'll update this later on when I know more.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any ideas for the reason behind the switch to the M&P 15?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Any ideas for the reason behind the switch to the M&P 15?
    The department is going with switching everyone. Before they had the money to buy rifles, you didn't have to carry a rifle, or you could go with an older Ruger Mini.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh ok - so it seems like standardization across the board then.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sucks you have to give up what isn't "broken," but frankly, you still have better leeway than I do....my office's carbine is a Colt 6920 with a Surefire rail, Surefire M952, Eotech 512, VFG, and single-point sling....I removed the M952 and added an X300U; other than the light, I can't change anything to it.

Drop in rail? My favorite is still the Vltor CASV-EL. I still have a Daniel Defense Omega 7.0 on an LMT upper.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by browcs View Post
    Sucks you have to give up what isn't "broken," but frankly, you still have better leeway than I do....my office's carbine is a Colt 6920 with a Surefire rail, Surefire M952, Eotech 512, VFG, and single-point sling....I removed the M952 and added an X300U; other than the light, I can't change anything to it.

Drop in rail? My favorite is still the Vltor CASV-EL. I still have a Daniel Defense Omega 7.0 on an LMT upper.
    If I'm reading you correctly, at least you didn't have to buy the light and Eotech. That really sucks that LEO's, such as in UW's case has to buy their own accessories. Is that common? I think that's B.S. If cops defend the taxpayers, taxpayers foot the bill, or that's the way it should be. Never had to buy "accessories" in the MIL. Same concept.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 10 September 2014 at 17:49.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    DD EZ Car rail is drop in. https://danieldefense.com/rail-syste...0-carbine.html

I think I would prefer the new Magpul M-LOK with the extended handguard like the C4.
    http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG538/MOE-SL

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have any accessory suggestions for you but I will say this about my M&P...it will eat any ammo you feed it. I have had zero issues even with crappy Herbert ammo ($5 for box of 20, im talking this stuff makes wolf look like pristine top shelf ammo).
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1
    Last edited by Computalotapus; 10 September 2014 at 18:05.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the links. You know... I never even thought about MI still producing drop ins...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Thanks for the links. You know... I never even thought about MI still producing drop ins...
    You are welcome. I'm an MI fan and I've been spending a lot of time on their website agonizing over what to do with my Adams Arms piston system pistol build, so I am intimately familiar with their product lineup.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    If I'm reading you correctly, at least you didn't have to buy the light and Eotech. That really sucks that LEO's, such as in UW's case has to buy their own accessories. Is that common? I think that's B.S. If cops defend the taxpayers, taxpayers foot the bill, or that's the way it should be. Never had to buy "accessories" in the MIL. Same concept.

FT
    Yes...you read it right. Everything is agency-owned; I only swapped the weaponlight to get something smaller with more power and throw; they can always tell me to remove it since it wasn't provided. The bad thing is that my work rifle is set up differently from my personal rifles.

Not common for Fed LE agencies which is whom I can speak for.....they provide it all in most cases.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you put any thought into the Troy Delta or Charlie? Lets you keep the delta ring and grip cap in place plus still gives you real estate in front of the sight post; If that's what you were looking for. Really sucks they won't let you run what you had.
    It's difficult to soar with eagles, when you work with turkeys...

Downloads
    Uploads
    That noveske was sexy, sucks about the policy shift.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, but the first time you get into a shooting you will be glad you were using the agency's rifle. Having your $3K Noveske is sitting in evidence for 3 years would suck even more.