Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm... at least you keep your rifle I'm guessing. As for drop in rails, yes, Midwest Industries has 7" drop in's. You can put rails on 7" Magpul handguards. FAB Defense, Surefire and Daniel Defense also have 7" drop in quad rails.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Does anyone even make 7" Drop in Rails anymore? I'm going to look into a KAC RAS. Aimpoint Optic, and probably a Surefire Scout.

Suggestions welcome, and I'll update this later on when I know more.
    Wow, that sucks hard.

Samson makes a STAR-CX that is a drop in. Rainier was offering them but I don't see them on their site anymore.
    http://www.samson-mfg.com/mm5/mercha...gory_Code=STAR
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    Wow, that sucks hard.

Samson makes a STAR-CX that is a drop in. Rainier was offering them but I don't see them on their site anymore.
    http://www.samson-mfg.com/mm5/mercha...gory_Code=STAR
    Open up Gunstruction and just start a new build and choose the Handguard. You can select the sort by length. Don't know if the dept. patrol rifle is going to have an A2 sight, but if it does you might want to go with a quad rail with a cutout for the sight and just leave it in place. It won't interfere with a red dot but you might need to put a red dot on a riser depending on which sight it is.

Do let us know how it works out for you. I do also agree that it sucks that they are doing so, on the other hand though, it is probably better that all the patrol rifles are dept. patrol rifles rather than ones officers have as their own. As someone else pointed out - if it has to get used and then has to become evidence for ballistics verification etc. then it's better that it's a dept. rifle than your own. That way at least they can issue you another one until they put that one back in service. If I were a LEO (and I did some time in the Navy as Shore Patrol), I'd sure hate to have my own rifle locked up until they got around to handing it back. If it was needed as evidence in a court proceeding before getting it back for a situation of a perfectly legitimate use of it, that could certainly take a while.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha.kilo View Post
    Yeah, but the first time you get into a shooting you will be glad you were using the agency's rifle. Having your $3K Noveske is sitting in evidence for 3 years would suck even more.
    Excellent point.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha.kilo View Post
    Yeah, but the first time you get into a shooting you will be glad you were using the agency's rifle. Having your $3K Noveske is sitting in evidence for 3 years would suck even more.
    For most I would agree. If that happened, I'd just grab another Noveske of the bakers dozen out of the safe.

Seriously, I agree with what you're saying. However, if I got into a shooting, having a 3k Noveske Rifle in an evidence locker for a few years is the least of my concern.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So I finally transitioned over to a Smith and Wesson M&P15 yesterday. The class was 1 day, and I shot about 500-600 rounds total for the day. The primary goal of the class was to zero our optics, back up sights, put some rounds down range to ensure it was running, a few drills, and then a qualification. Here's a brief summary:

I decided to go with all new accessories, since my previous patrol rifle was set up perfectly for me. It'll be relegated to the HD gun now. This was a basic M&P15 MOE. As you guessed, it came with a MOE Stock, MOE Grip, and MOE Handguards. The department also includes a Vickers 2 point sling. I thought the setup on the sling was hokey, as they used the FSB with a GG&G mount. My preference would be a QD attachment. Anyhow, before there was any shooting done we had a chance to add our approved accessories first. I added the following:

Knights Armament 7" RAS Rail
    Knights Armament Foregrip
    Aimpoint PRO
    Troy Industries Rear Sight

No Light you say? Yes, it's true. I haven't decided on a light yet, will probably use the Arisaka Scout Body down the road, but for now I'm working dayshift, so the light isn't a big deal right now. At the time I considered also including a Battle Arms Development BAD-ASS and a Raptor. However, I wanted to run the gun first, and see how I felt about dumping another $120+ of my own money into a department gun.

When it came to the malfunction drills, after an hour my hands were tired, and my fingers hurt. The standard milspec charging handle for a lefty like me sucks. Repeated malfunctions every 3rd round really makes you appreciate bigger latches. I also had to mortar my gun several times, and since it was also muddy and wet, my hands slipped off of the charging handle several times.

During lunch, I drove to the house and grabbed a Raptor and a BCM Mod 0 Comp.

Summary:

I actually enjoyed shooting the gun, but a few things reminded me that S&W makes a mediocre gun. The gun shot noticeably harder than say a mid-length. I'm guessing the gun is slightly overgassed, the carbine buffer probably didn't help either. The BCG was still an AR15, not F/A. Otherwise, it looked like any other $750 off the rack AR.

Larger latches on a charging handle are a must for me.

Guys running red dots were noticeably faster in acquiring their targets and engaging. Shooting when it turned dark, was a challenge for guys using the carry handle, FSB.

The A2 Birdcage is the most underrated $10 item.

Total Cost of accessories: $660

Pictures of the gun, and more thoughts later.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    That really sucks that LEO's, such as in UW's case has to buy their own accessories.
    On one hand yes, on the other, it SCREAMS 'tax deduction'.

And what do they know that you don't need 26 different versions of optics and 8 suppressors for your 'business operations' all to be written off of your taxes....

Thermal optics and NV here we come!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tax deductions for non-reimbursed equipment is pretty overrated. Anything over 2% of your adjusted gross income... that's a high threshold.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Seriously, I agree with what you're saying. However, if I got into a shooting, having a 3k Noveske Rifle in an evidence locker for a few years is the least of my concern.
    BINGO! LOL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Last time I thought about taking a tax deduction for work gear it actually raised my paid taxes. I don't bother anymore. I just suck it up and know it goes with me when I leave.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to say that your old duty rifle is probably my favorite of your rifles I've seen pics of.

DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I have to say that your old duty rifle is probably my favorite of your rifles I've seen pics of.

Yeah, that beats the S&W
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    You know it! But I'm still interested to see the MOE rifle.

UW - what color furniture is the MOE? Did you do another two-tone like the Noveske?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have an honest question for you LEO's. I don't know where you all live so I'm curious. Why do your police departments have you having patrol rifles? I know our Sheriff and our deputies all personally. They carry their Glocks of course. They have AR's - I shoot with them. They don't carry the AR's in their patrol pickups. Could some of you who do have patrol rifles let me know why your police departments have you do so? I live in the middle of nowhere in the Rocky Mountains on Idaho. So, it's basically a zero crime area. Everyone here has guns anyway. What situation would have you using your patrol rifle?

I lived overseas for 23 years. I do remember that the police officers in Boston had shotguns in a rack in their cars.

I know you LEO's face a lot of difficult challenges every time you go on shift. You have my deepest respect for what you do. My only law enforcement was my Shore Patrol turns in the Navy. I'm just curious as to why your departments have you having patrol rifles. What situations do you think you would have to use a rifle in instead of your pistol?
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not Leo but the answer is pretty simple. The LA shooting in the early 90's. LEO's were outgunned and ever since no departments wants to be outgunned. Would you want to take a shotgun or a Glock to an AR fight? You want to at least have the same firepower your enemy will have as a minimum.