Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    I'm not Leo but the answer is pretty simple. The LA shooting in the early 90's. LEO's were outgunned and ever since no departments wants to be outgunned. Would you want to take a shotgun or a Glock to an AR fight? You want to at least have the same firepower your enemy will have as a minimum.
    Good point. I wasn't here in the US in the early 90's so I don't know what happened. I spent 23 years overseas. I don't see anything wrong with LEO's having AR's - I was just wondering what situations they think they would need to use them in.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    ...What situations do you think you would have to use a rifle in instead of your pistol?
    Pistols suck, but are portable, so they are carried more readily than a rifle. Benefits of the Patrol Carbine include: superior terminal ballistics (sometimes referred to as "stopping power"), superior accuracy, superior range, greater magazine capacity, ability to defeat soft body armor, less chance of over-penetration, and a few more I won't go into. Different departments have different policies on who is authorized to carry one and when they are deployed. However, if you have access to a Patrol Carbine during an incident where it's reasonable to foresee a potential lethal threat and you elect leave the superior tool behind, you're a fool.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Troy makes nice drop in rails.
    BRUUUHHHH....Do you EVEN OPERATE?!?!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Pistols suck, but are portable, so they are carried more readily than a rifle. Benefits of the Patrol Carbine include: superior terminal ballistics (sometimes referred to as "stopping power"), superior accuracy, superior range, greater magazine capacity, ability to defeat soft body armor, less chance of over-penetration, and a few more I won't go into. Different departments have different policies on who is authorized to carry one and when they are deployed. However, if you have access to a Patrol Carbine during an incident where it's reasonable to foresee a potential lethal threat and you elect leave the superior tool behind, you're a fool.
    I do agree it would be very foolish to leave the superior tool behind. As I have stated I have no problem with LEO's having AR's or whatever else they need. I was just curious as to what situations you LEO's might come up against when you need them. Some of you live in cities with drug dealers and other assholes. I live in the mountains where there is no crime to speak of. Our deputies have life pretty easy in comparison to a NYC cop. I have a good friend who is a NYC police sergeant. He's just sticking it out now to get his retirement so he can move his family out of that shithole.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    He's just sticking it out now to get his retirement so he can move his family out of that shithole.
    Best wishes to him.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Soisauss View Post
    Troy makes nice drop in rails.
    Troy Rails and Nice... what alternate universe is that?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm just curious as to why your departments have you having patrol rifles. What situations do you think you would have to use a rifle in instead of your pistol?

Just sayin...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    BINGO! LOL
    Again, I don't care about the less than 1% chance I'll lose my rifle to an evidence locker. Statistically, I could go several careers worth of calls and never shoot anyone with my patrol rifle. If I happen to lose it for a few years, big deal. I want to have the best possible weapons system I can afford, even if it's on my own dime, if that happened.

Good point. I wasn't here in the US in the early 90's so I don't know what happened. I spent 23 years overseas. I don't see anything wrong with LEO's having AR's - I was just wondering what situations they think they would need to use them in.
    Our department has already had several active shooters in the last decade. It doesn't happen often, but when it happens again, I want the best possible weapon possible to defeat the thread. A handgun is a shitty weapon to kill someone. How many of us are comfortable engaging someone at 50+ yards with a handgun? Especially, if that person is shooting back with a long gun? A patrol rifle offers more range, ammo capacity, and accuracy, what's not to like about the platform?

Downloads
    Uploads
    And slowly drifting back to the Smith and Wesson M&P15 topic...
    I've been impressed with the trigger in these. While still a mil-spec style trigger, it's very smooth. My particular one reminds me of the ALG ACT trigger and is WAY smoother than any of the Colt's I have, even after a high round count.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    And slowly drifting back to the Smith and Wesson M&P15 topic...
    I've been impressed with the trigger in these. While still a mil-spec style trigger, it's very smooth. My particular one reminds me of the ALG ACT trigger and is WAY smoother than any of the Colt's I have, even after a high round count.
    Surprisingly, I did get a decent trigger on my M&P15. Feels like a nicely broken in milspec trigger. I doubt S&W did anything to the trigger specifically though. It was probably one of those, you sometimes get lucky and get a decent trigger in your factory gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Troy Rails and Nice... what alternate universe is that?
    Okay, I'm obviously missing the memo here lolol what's wrong with them that I have not heard of? Lol I have one of their 3 piece free float drop in rails that I used on the A4 build lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Soisauss View Post
    Okay, I'm obviously missing the memo here lolol what's wrong with them that I have not heard of? Lol I have one of their 3 piece free float drop in rails that I used on the A4 build lol
    Troy is decent, just not what I'd consider "nice"

Machining and anodizing leave a lot to be desired. There are also just much better designs out there. Plenty of people use them without issue, just not for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Troy is decent, just not what I'd consider "nice"

Machining and anodizing leave a lot to be desired. There are also just much better designs out there. Plenty of people use them without issue, just not for me.
    ahh fully understood.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quick Snap Shot of most of the changes:

Knights RAS, VFG
    Troy BUIS
    Aimpoint PRO
    Rainier Raptor

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quick Snap Shot of most of the changes:

Knights RAS, VFG
    Troy BUIS
    Aimpoint PRO
    Rainier Raptor

Looks about on par with what most GI's are using bro, set up wise. There rifle systems have killed a lot of bad guys, of course they are colts and FNs. At least it isn't a Mini 14 lol! Merry Christmas by the way.