Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I supply my own handcuffs and boots. Everything else is provided.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was a reserve for six years in a small town, they have three full time officers. Each officer gets a check once a year to buy whatever gear they want or think they need. All firearms and vests are bought buy the department, they also buy the vests for the reserves but not your sidearm. The reserves are not paid, but get $100 a quarter to buy gear with.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I work at a large Federal Agency. We were given working and dress uniforms and a duty belt at the academy. I replaced the issued SERPA holster with a Safariland, bought a X300 for the duty gun, bought the Safariland open top double mag-holder, suspenders, and a FastMag to store one rifle mag. The issue Danners are OK, but I am looking at trying some Lowas or Salomons, now that they come in all black. I still want to set up a plate carrier, and I could also use some comms stuff.

ETA: On the bright side, buying this stuff helps out in tax season.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Been meaning to ask this for awhile but didn't want to start a new thread. I need some advice on advancement. Can any of you older guys share some hard lessons learned when it comes to moving up the ranks in a department?

I'm 3 years into my job and not where I want to be professionally, problem I'm running into personally is there are very limited positions and the guys in them almost always stay until retirement. Any recommendations?

Downloads
    Uploads
    DutyUse, in any profession the problems are similar. Generally, the best way to advance is to be willing to move to a new place and take a new job there. Get the job first where there is a place who needs you. Then move to the job. It's takes a bit of a leap of faith in yourself to do so. In a 10 year period I tripled my salary by doing that 3 times.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    Been meaning to ask this for awhile but didn't want to start a new thread. I need some advice on advancement. Can any of you older guys share some hard lessons learned when it comes to moving up the ranks in a department?

I'm 3 years into my job and not where I want to be professionally, problem I'm running into personally is there are very limited positions and the guys in them almost always stay until retirement. Any recommendations?
    If your ultimate goal is to rise up the ranks to administration, I would leave your current department.

I work in a medium sized agency, and the last 4 years I've been on the verge of a promotion, but it never happened due to various reasons, budgetary being the main one. Generally, you have to have several factors work in your favor, doing well on civil service tests is the first. Then you need some turnover, timing, and of course a little luck never hurts.

For me, it's been timing. While I've been on my department, I've seen the promotion lists go down 16 deep in a 2 year period. I finished the last list I was on that expired at #2. Never even sniffed a promotion. I don't think was meant to be in my situation, due to timing and some other shit I won't get into.

I think to have a shot, you need a larger department, or if your department is smaller, all the guys ahead of you are close to retirement age. 3 years is nothing though, personally, I don't have any respect for guys trying to supervise that have less than 10 years experience on the road. That's just my personal opinion, not saying there isn't some competent supervisors with less experience. If you want to move up fast, you should just take the tests as soon as you're eligible, and not care what guys like me may think.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    DutyUse, in any profession the problems are similar. Generally, the best way to advance is to be willing to move to a new place and take a new job there. Get the job first where there is a place who needs you. Then move to the job. It's takes a bit of a leap of faith in yourself to do so. In a 10 year period I tripled my salary by doing that 3 times.
    That is what everyone tells me and it's solid advice. After I graduated college and was a year in I had an offer in a desirable position.

However my family and I have to much invested in our land and home. I can't walk away from it.. It's a generational farm that I could never give up, so unfortunately I'm stuck commuting at the moment with little hope of advancement in the near future. That's why I need tips on standing out amongst my peers without being seen as a KA

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    If your ultimate goal is to rise up the ranks to administration, I would leave your current department.

I work in a medium sized agency, and the last 4 years I've been on the verge of a promotion, but it never happened due to various reasons, budgetary being the main one. Generally, you have to have several factors work in your favor, doing well on civil service tests is the first. Then you need some turnover, timing, and of course a little luck never hurts.

For me, it's been timing. While I've been on my department, I've seen the promotion lists go down 16 deep in a 2 year period. I finished the last list I was on that expired at #2. Never even sniffed a promotion. I don't think was meant to be in my situation, due to timing and some other shit I won't get into.

I think to have a shot, you need a larger department, or if your department is smaller, all the guys ahead of you are close to retirement age. 3 years is nothing though, personally, I don't have any respect for guys trying to supervise that have less than 10 years experience on the road. That's just my personal opinion, not saying there isn't some competent supervisors with less experience. If you want to move up fast, you should just take the tests as soon as you're eligible, and not care what guys like me may think.
    I have the opposite problem unfortunately, I'm stuck in a managerial position but want to be in the field. Without divulging to much I'd rather be on the beat then where I am currently pushing papers and assisting field agents.