Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Automotive Paint?

Does anyone know anything about automotive paint? Particularly how to strip it off without damaging the underlying metal?

At my work they bought us all Yeti cups that look like this:

The only thing is they ordered a custom paint job on them that has an (ugly) company logo on it.

If nothing else I want to strip the paint off of the cup. Eventually if I can find someone to do it they will repaint it with my name on it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the same cup and thought mine was just Stainless steel? A lot of people are doing either auto paint or cerakote. Just about any reputable pained can do it for you...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    I have the same cup and thought mine was just Stainless steel? A lot of people are doing either auto paint or cerakote. Just about any reputable pained can do it for you...
    Mine is stainless steel, that's why I want to be extra careful about not damaging the cup. If I can figure out some kind of paint stripper that will take off the paint that will be good.

Honestly I don't want to spend a fortune on a frickin' cup.... but at the very least I want to take that ugly ass logo off it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Mine is stainless steel, that's why I want to be extra careful about not damaging the cup. If I can figure out some kind of paint stripper that will take off the paint that will be good.

Honestly I don't want to spend a fortune on a frickin' cup.... but at the very least I want to take that ugly ass logo off it.
    Mine appears to be bare stainless is what I was getting at. Also the above picture is just a piece of paper.. the only logo on embossed(raised words" yeti") at the bottom of the cup. It isn't going anywhere without removing some serious amount of metal...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Basically they hired an auto body shop or someone to paint the cups with the company logo on them... apparently it wasn't cheap for the paint job...but I am just wondering if there is something I can buy at the auto parts store or where ever that I can at least make it look like stainless steel again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ohh well that bit of info helps... mineral spirits should remove it without damaging the SS.. at worst send it off and have it redone... its not like you paid for the cup

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    ohh well that bit of info helps... mineral spirits should remove it without damaging the SS.. at worst send it off and have it redone... its not like you paid for the cup
    Mineral spirits... OK.... I was thinking finger nail polish remover but that paint job they put on there is pretty thick. I don't want to scrape it, sand it, or blast it because it might hurt the metal.

Basically whatever I end up using needs to pass a test... if you pour it on the hood of your car then wipe if off it should be bare metal... but not damage the metal.

Once I strip the paint off the cup will be fine :)

I can then ask around about getting a new paint job.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good luck lol

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Check Lowes or Home Depot for a small can of MEK. Use it outside, preferably with a respirator. It's much stronger than paint thinner, mineral spirits, etc. Shouldn't hurt stainless steel, but you can always test it on the underside of your cup, first.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Check Lowes or Home Depot for a small can of MEK. Use it outside, preferably with a respirator. It's much stronger than paint thinner, mineral spirits, etc. Shouldn't hurt stainless steel, but you can always test it on the underside of your cup, first.
    If you look at the picture above... the top line of the 'Yeti' sticker down to that bottom line where they connected the base is where it's painted from. The base is bare stainless steel.

I will try that. That is the kind of thing I was wanting... something that will strip it right off. MEK.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Brake fluid does the trick nicely of removing clear coat and base coat. Not sure about whether it might alter SS, though... always test on an inconspicuous area first. Preferably not the wife's car! [BG]
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aircraft paint remover.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Aircraft paint remover.
    I think a lot of times, that's MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone).

Downloads
    Uploads
    It should be 70-80% Dichloromethane if it's a good brand.