Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The AX556 is nice but very expensive, but so is the new billet Umbrella lower and the Noveske Gen 3. Considering price the the SanTan is maybe the best deal, the Mega and Rainier are a close second though once you throw in the price of a Norgon. But what do I know I'm a righty.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads

Ambi lower comparisons

I don't see any ambi features listed for the Noveske. Did I miss something.? Interesting, it looks like the Umbrella lower licenses the ADAC feature from AXTS like Rainier.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the only ambi feature I see listed on the Umbrella is the ADAC?

-john
    Last edited by bzdog; 22 September 2014 at 20:10.

Downloads
    Uploads
    POF has a right side bolt release, as well. I've owned a POF P308 Recon for about five years and it works well.
    I'm also wrong handed, but after fourteen years of military service, and twenty plus in LE working on a traditional AR, I find myself defaulting to training and ignoring most of the ambi features on my ARs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aero Precision Ambi Gen2 is the best value out there, it is compatible with the amazing BAD-ASS ST safety selector, and the right side lever releases and locks back the bolt. The AXTS is amazing, but I can build an Aero up with a Geissele SSA, and a Vltor A5 kit for the same amount as a stripped AXTS.

Another option is to purchase the PDQ lever and have a machinist mill out you lower of choice for it. I've done 2 for myself like this and so far it has worked flawlessly.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/spare-pa...-receiver.html
    Last edited by VIPER 237; 22 September 2014 at 21:07.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    I don't see any ambi features listed for the Noveske. Did I miss something.? Interesting, it looks like the Umbrella lower licenses the ADAC feature from AXTS like Rainier.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the only ambi feature I see listed on the Umbrella is the ADAC?

-john
    The Noveske and Umbrella were listed not for being ambi but for being high priced lowers with less features.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by specopsscout View Post
    POF has a right side bolt release, as well. I've owned a POF P308 Recon for about five years and it works well.
    I'm also wrong handed, but after fourteen years of military service, and twenty plus in LE working on a traditional AR, I find myself defaulting to training and ignoring most of the ambi features on my ARs.
    One of my southpaw friends says the same. The only ambi features I've seen him purchase are selectors and battery assist levers.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    I found that I was asking myself the same question earlier this year and ended up deciding on the AXTS AX556. IMHO it is worth the asking price. It truly needs to be handled to be fully appreciated. I waited two months for mine and took delivery in June of this year. Currently they are in stock and ready to ship.

The ergonomics of the controls on both sides of the receiver are what sets the AX556 apart from the rest. Examples being that the left side mag release is easier to depress than say a Norgon (which I have on a Rainier Arms RUC) and the right side bolt release is slightly angled and towards the rear. Again these things can't be appreciated until put into use. Keep in mind that I'm a righty that shoots both left and right handed. I just appreciate ambidextrous function.

Here is my build utilizing the AX556 with other carefully selected high quality parts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have both models of the AXTS, and I've spent some time with the KAC guns.

As a right-handed shooter I really don't get the point, like, at all, of the ambi craze. I guess it just comes from the type of shooting I do not benefiting, and knowing several lefties that shoot with us that don't do much of anything to modify their guns to their affliction. Of course, I think the whole "lateral transition" thing is way over-done too, so there is that.

What do the AXTS lowers retail for? I have one of the forged with just the bolt-hold function and one of the billet like is pictured in post #22. What do some of the other options sell for?
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    As a right-handed shooter I really don't get the point, like, at all, of the ambi craze. I guess it just comes from the type of shooting I do not benefiting, and knowing several lefties that shoot with us that don't do much of anything to modify their guns to their affliction. Of course, I think the whole "lateral transition" thing is way over-done too, so there is that.

What do the AXTS lowers retail for?
    I think it stems from the idea of a SHTF scenario in which, for one reason or another, you can no longer use your dominant shooting hand - requiring to use your other side for fire controls.

According to the website, it runs for $429.99.

Curious - is there much of a difference between STT-15 and the AXTS lower? It doesn't seem like there's that much, to justify the $100'ish price difference.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ambi lower comparisons

What do the AXTS lowers retail for? I have one of the forged with just the bolt-hold function
    That sounds like the ADAC model which AXTS no longer sells, however they are licensing that feature to Rainier and Umbrella, so you could check prices on those.

and one of the billet like is pictured in post #22. What do some of the other options sell for?
    This sounds like the current AX556 which is $430 as noted by Thompson, above.

-john
    Last edited by bzdog; 23 September 2014 at 12:33.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ambi lower comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Curious - is there much of a difference between STT-15 and the AXTS lower? It doesn't seem like there's that much, to justify the $100'ish price difference.
    If I understand correctly, they offer similar functionality except I don't think the San Tan has the bolt *catch* functionality.

As far as quality, dunno how the San Tan rates. Looks like it's priced at $290, so $140 delta.

Yah, if you don't mind losing the bolt catch, there are several options to choose from.

If you want the bolt catch, there are a couple options.

If you want both, I think the AX556 is the only game in town AFAIK.

-john
    Last edited by bzdog; 23 September 2014 at 12:38.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe the mag-release-bolt-catch is what AXTS patented, so only those lowers and those that they licensed should have that feature, I would think.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    I think it stems from the idea of a SHTF scenario in which, for one reason or another, you can no longer use your dominant shooting hand - requiring to use your other side for fire controls.
    I understand the theory, I don't buy the concept. I can shoot a legacy gun one-handed with my left hand just fine. I think this is all largely snake-oil.

My favorite is the guys that can't hit the broad side of a barn in under 72 hours STRONG SIDE that want to work lateral transitions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me, since I shoot lefty, it's about making things easier.

I can manipulate the regular safety with my index finger just fine, but doing it with my thumb is easier.

Re.the bolt lock/release, I can reach it with my index finger, so having that part be ambi makes no difference to me and I fear it adds a button on the inboard side that could be accidentally tripped.

An ambi mag release that is as protected as the right sided one, is what I really want. Is it a must have part? no, but I really wish I didn't have to do these extra movements to put in a new mag.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    If I understand correctly, they offer similar functionality except I don't think the San Tan has the bolt *catch* functionality.
    Oh .... I never even thought of that. My mind skipped over the bolt catch/release.