Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There's a third option. I recently built 2 back to back rifles, with some overlap, and with everything else going on in my life, scheduling, ordering and getting things lined up for two rifles became pretty tiresome. I have my custom Harley, I have other guns I like to shoot, I, like everyone else here, has a life outside the realm of AR platform rifles.

Still, although I was putting together two rifles literally back to back, I kept having a nagging feeling that I really wanted a 7.62 (AR-10). However, I had hunting rifles to get ready, rifles I wanted to shoot more, etc, and the thought of organizing and assembling all the parts to make yet another rifle really had me soured on the whole idea.

Then, out of nowhere, I got one unbelievable hell of a deal on a DPMS AR-10 with a known round count of exactly 20, and about 5 minutes to make a yes or no decision. I bought it. Knowing I didn't "like" it.
    The stock sucked, the upper receiver was railed, but it had an old A2 style hand guard, some really funky front gas block with a short piece of rail that was offset from the rail about 1/4 in., a crappy trigger, and so forth.

So, I ordered a NIB BCG, a CMC "flat" trigger 3lb., a CTR Stock, a set of KNS anti-rotation pins, a low profile gas block, and waiting on MI to decide which of their Keymod rail to send me. I happened to have a Weaver Tactical scope mounted in a QD P.E.P.R. mount with a Burris Fastfire III on top. A brake was thrown in on the deal.

The whole point being, if you buy a gun with a flat railed stock, you can shoot the crap out of it, and add this or that, and evaluate each change as you go. You may start off with a diamond in the rough, is what I'm getting too. You start with a basic gun, and you take it one step at a time, as far as adding this or that. Soon you'll know what does and doesn't work for you, and end up with a whole different animal, than what you brought home from the gun store.

I knew my preferences so well, that I was able to just make a short list and get on the 'net and order what I wanted, putting all of 15 or 20 minutes of thought put into it. Years ago, when I got some of my first "civilian" AR, I was where many people are now. As I acquired more rifles, and more "stuff" became available, I felt I was obligated to dress up my rifle like a Christmas tree, but didn't know where to start, as I meandered through the booths at the gun shows. I built a couple of "craptastic" rifles, before I had to do a reset, and now I can almost pick out what I want and almost always be right, as far as pleasing myself.

Consider buying a quality plain rifle, and then experiment with one thing at a time. Over a years time you should have what you want, rather than a box or two of very expensive shit you'll regret ever having bought.

Make sense? Sometimes my "authoring" skills don't translate to well, but I think you'll know what I mean, and might find a very happy medium. Also, all those skills you'll learn from disassembling parts, trigger's, safeties, and what have you, by the time you're through, you'll have obtained the skills to pretty much build your second (as Rob_S advised). You'll not need a team of people to hold your hand or do this or that for you. Maybe just a little help and guidance with some of the more tricky aspects.

Anyway, that's a third choice, that follows Rob_s's simple advice: buy first, build second.

What ever you choose, as always, have fun. If you ever get to the point that it's not fun, as I have, and I'm sure many others have, then it's time to step back and take a breather for a while, then come back supercharged and ready to move forward. And that, my friend, is my "philosophical" take on the subject.
    Last edited by FortTom; 30 September 2014 at 20:05.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads

Philosophical Thread on First AR Build

A good middle ground would be to buy yourself a lower and all the lower parts, build that with premium components that you want, and slap a complete upper on it.

And wouldn't you know, I just saw this pop up in the classifieds http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...st.php?p=64173