Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Free computer help offer - from me

To everyone in this forum,

I am a computer engineer and I am the computer repair company in this sparsely populated valley here in Idaho.

I offer all of you members of this forum free information and advice should you run into a problem with your computers. I will not suggest you spend a dime that isn't necessary. If you have a problem, contact me and I will help you fix it. I'll call you if needed while you are at your computer. IF companies are begging you for money for anything DO NOT PAY them. You don't need what they are offering for your own personal computer. Web space does have to be paid for if you have a web site and even web space can be found for free.

If you have computer questions, just ask. I've been a computer engineer for over 30 years. Both hardware and software.

-Will-

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, you sir must be a glutton for punishment

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mighty fine offer WH. Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Go figure, right after I had one that died. I had to give up my Vista OS for Windows 8.1. Any suggestions on a WiFi extender? Thanks for the incredible offer. Hopefully you don't get too abused.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Go figure, right after I had one that died. I had to give up my Vista OS for Windows 8.1. Any suggestions on a WiFi extender? Thanks for the incredible offer. Hopefully you don't get too abused.

Give Windows 8 a solid month. Take your time and learn it. Its a solid OS unless you are just that attached to the start menu.
    I started using 8 when it was at dev release and haven't looked back. Windows 10 dev release is today and I will start using it today. I am in the same business as the OP.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    There are a couple ways to extend WIFI range, but first figure if you actually need to. Without know what/why you would want to extend the range it's hard to suggest what you need to do. In general, WIFI routers will provide signal easily to 150 ft. plus. Most will be good up to 250 ft. reliably. You could simply have a signal obstruction situation and just moving the router 15 ft. will solve it if it's a signal problem you are having in your house.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    Give Windows 8 a solid month. Take your time and learn it. Its a solid OS unless you are just that attached to the start menu.
    I started using 8 when it was at dev release and haven't looked back. Windows 10 dev release is today and I will start using it today. I am in the same business as the OP.
    There are some things you can do with Windows 8 that will make it easier and more familiar to use. One of them is to install ClasicShell. It's a free shell utility that will give you a start menu that looks like XP, Vista or Windows 7. That brings back all the easy access points for things like the Control Panel. Just look up ClassicShell in google or go to classicshell.net to download a copy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So the big question?

Factory built?

Or Home built?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    So the big question?

Factory built?

Or Home built?

Actually, I have some of both

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    There are some things you can do with Windows 8 that will make it easier and more familiar to use. One of them is to install ClasicShell. It's a free shell utility that will give you a start menu that looks like XP, Vista or Windows 7. That brings back all the easy access points for things like the Control Panel. Just look up ClassicShell in google or go to classicshell.net to download a copy.
    MS did the start menu justice in Windows 10. So far been running the developer preview of Windows 10 Enterprise for the last week and really like it. FYI shortcut key in Windows 8 for any power user is "Windows Key + X"
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i have done the write to zero on my comp several times, and allegedly stopped un needed programs from running. what absolutely HAS to run so i can stop more stuff from slowing me down? lake_eyes1963@yahoo.com thanks for any advice you can give me. it's an e machine, windows 7 home premium. 4.00 GB RAM with 3.75 usable,, 64 bit
    Last edited by lake1963; 4 October 2014 at 21:01.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not looking for help, I am a tech for a local shop and studied embedded systems engineering for a couple years before I switched to mechanical engineering tech. I dread the days we get Win 8 and Win Vista machines in at work.

I too am running Win 10 tech preview and I am loving it so far. Switched from Se7en on my primary machine. Some of the stuff is still kinda funky but I can get used to it. Its not liking some of my Win 7 drivers though. At least its not as bad a hacking together drivers for a Toshiba Portege M200 to run win 7 like I did a few years back. Being a Linux user when I can I appreciate the multiple desktops but hate that it always resets to one after boot!

Lake, we would need to know what is running and what you do on it to say what would be safe to disable on boot or not. Do NOT trust most of the software out there that says it can make your computer faster. Some of it does nothing and the rest seems to cause problems. Probably 50% of what I do at work is clean up from those "PC Optimizer!" junkware suites.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am awesome! I managed to break yet another computer, this time the Toshiba laptop that's about 7 years old. It was having some display issues already, but now I managed to crack the screen and totally kill it. Oh, and there was a prior cup of coffee on the keyboard issue...

It looks like I'll pick up a lower end replacement, like the ASUS X551MAV-RCLN06, (15.6", 4GB DDR3L Memory, 500GB Hard Drive, DVD Drive, Intel Celeron N2830) for about $250. I have a strong suspicion that repairing the old one would be pointless, as it wasn't really anything high-end to begin with. It's interesting to see that many of the low end laptops now come without an optical drive and only onboard RAM, with no room for expansion.

Use for this would be email, web surfing, occasional photo editing, occasional DVD playback and Netflix. I'm open to input.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Without an optical drive, you won't be playing any DVD's. Since it's an older laptop you can probably get a screen to replace in it for about $50. A keyboard for around $20. PM me the model of your Toshiba. I'll look up what the parts can be had for.

Keep in mind that any new computer now is going to have Windows 8 in it. Also, simply replacing it means you don't get any of your files out of it that you may want - not even your favorites list from your web browser.

If you do decide to go ahead and replace it, let me know. I'll tell you how to get that hard disk out, pack it up and mail it to me. I'll copy whatever files you want from it, put them on optical disks for you or a flash drive and send them back to you. I can connect the laptop drive to my test bench computer and copy whatever you want from it. Again, just let me know the model of your Toshiba so I can give you the correct instructions for removing the hard disk if you want to go that route.

My philosophy for buying a laptop is go as cheap as possible. All the 'bells and whistles' the manufactures want people to pay for are a waste of money because 'most' people use their computers to get on line, check their mail, come to forums like this one, look up something on the net, buy stuff from the net, copy pictures from their camera, print some stuff, use Facebook (and maybe play some of the flash games there), and maybe do video calls with family members. Other than that, some people do use their computer for bookkeeping. Every low price computer on the market will do all these things just fine.

Companies don't make lots of money and salesmen don't make money by telling you this though.

If you're planning on buying a new computer, let me know and I'll check which models are available at really good prices and give you some recommendations. I'll also give you some helpful tips on how to keep your laptop alive the longest.

Spilling coffee on a laptop is a VERY bad idea by the way
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ended up picking up a new one at a ridiculous price, just $164.09! Staples did a Best Buy price match, let me use a $75 coupon, plus a $5 reward coupon. I'll be able to recover all data from the old one and just transfer files to an external drive.

Low end ASUS model, but workable for where it will be used.