Back Story:
I recently went nuts and spent a bit of money building a 300 BLK pistol. I was about half way through the build when I started looking at ammo prices, at which point I decided I needed to finally get into reloading.

What I started with:
Some time ago, my dad was given part of a Lee Loadmaster setup. He got the press, 2 5-hole die holders, a couple of shell plates, and assorted small parts. He just let it sit in the garage for the longest time, and didn't show any signs of using it, so with his permission I took it off his hands.

Where I'm at now:
I've ordered some of the things I need to get started, including Lee's 3-die set for 300 BLK, a Lee depriming die, the correct shell plate (I think... explained below), case prep tools, and the small primer feed system for the Loadmaster. I also have 1 box of 150gr bullets (I don't remember which ones right off hand), two kinds of IMR powder, and 400 CCI Small Rifle Primers. I've been collecting .223/5.56 brass for a little while, I figure I have a few hundred casings, maybe as much as 1000. I also bought a 2" chop saw to cut the .223 brass.

The shell plate I ordered is different than the plates that I got with the press. The new one has a kind of star-shaped lug on the bottom to contact the indexer. The other two have 5 individual lugs evenly spaced. The new plate's center hole is deeper than the other two, and so it engages more of the center post on the carrier. The new plate will not fully seat onto the carrier, and won't even rotate when I try to force it on. I don't want to try and drill or file either part, because I know I'll ruin the alignment by doing so. Fortunately, a new carrier isn't expensive, and since the old one has a crack where the priming lever is attached, I went ahead and ordered a new one.

I've also completely disassembled the press and thoroughly cleaned it, and applied some Hoppe's gun lube to the shaft and bearings. I'll be getting some grease and an oil can to properly lube everything before putting it to use.

What I still need:
I need to acquire a powder system, which I'm basically set on the Pro Auto Disk, a rifle charging die, a jig for cutting .223 brass, a tumbler, and a reloading manual, along with more knowledge. Also, I will be either building a new bench, or adding onto the one build into my garage to create a reloading space. Eventually I'll get the parts to do other calibers, and I need to get a chrono to properly work up some good loads. For now, so long as I stay within the guidelines of various manuals, I figure I'll be ok.

It'll probably be another month or two before I load my first bullet, but I certainly look forward to seeing if I can save money over buying 300 BLK factory ammo!