Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ruger AR-556 Direct Impingement Rifle

Ruger has recently announced their newest MSR dubbed the AR-556. This rifle uses the conventional gas tube gas system and should appeal to those looking for a traditional AR. Probably the most notable thing about this firearm is its suggested retail price of $749. Ruger always sets the MSRP a bit higher than actual price. These rifles are already selling for under $600 with several online retailers.

I have had one of these rifles for several weeks, being one of Ruger's jury testers prior to launch. I have primarily been running the rifle with inexpensive Tula and have yet to have an issue.

Here I am playing around on the range. We're running rifle with frangible. The target is twenty yards downrange.

Movement Drill with Ruger AR-556: http://youtu.be/Uahy_BFZtkA

Downloads
    Uploads
    MSRP may be $749, but I bet shelf price will be about $699.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Mack View Post
    MSRP may be $749, but I bet shelf price will be about $699.
    Many people are seeing these at their local shops at $575 or thereabouts according to other forums.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Copy of Partial Mag Dump Ruger AR-556: http://youtu.be/cCCj1Z9jcbA

Here's a short video I slowed down using YouTube's website. Pretty neat that we can pick up a few sounds that aren't noticeable at normal speed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    Many people are seeing these at their local shops at $575 or thereabouts according to other forums.
    Jesus...I should go buy 2.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm hoping Ruger will produce this same model in 300 Blackout. I really think a $600 300BLK would help propel the cartridge into the main stream.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I'm having just as much fun--maybe more--playing around with YouTube as I am with this new rifle!

http://youtu.be/oU8eZgynH28

http://youtu.be/cCCj1Z9jcbA

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's odd that Ruger released this during a time when the market is saturated. With that said, I think this will be a good seller for Ruger due to their name recognition, low price-point and established distribution. Leave it to Ruger to use a semi-auto carrier with an exposed firing pin and notched hammer. The QD on the front sight base shows promise, but the location on the bottom could be better. Ruger is one of the few manufacturers that actuals has the ability to make CHF barrels and the 1/8 twist is a decent compromise and should cover just about all of the more common loads. With the lack of chrome lining, I'm surprised they did not take the Melonite route; perhaps cost was more of an issue.
    http://www.ruger.com/products/ar556/...eets/8500.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    Local shop is selling them for $620 OTD.
    Pretty darn good price for what your getting.

And I know a lot of Ruger fanboys that will get one.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm tempted to picked one up just to test out, but I'm wondering if they will release other variants soon. A mid-length would be nice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Leave it to Ruger to use a semi-auto carrier with an exposed firing pin and notched hammer.
    Forgive my lack of knowledge - but how is this bad? Or am I misinterpreting your tone?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Forgive my lack of knowledge - but how is this bad? Or am I misinterpreting your tone?
    It's not bad perse, but why not just throw in a M16 carrier?

I'm sure this rifle will be decent but to me, this is just cost cutting and cheapness I have no interest in.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's odd that Ruger released this during a time when the market is saturated. With that said, I think this will be a good seller for Ruger due to their name recognition, low price-point and established distribution. Leave it to Ruger to use a semi-auto carrier with an exposed firing pin and notched hammer. The QD on the front sight base shows promise, but the location on the bottom could be better. Ruger is one of the few manufacturers that actuals has the ability to make CHF barrels and the 1/8 twist is a decent compromise and should cover just about all of the more common loads. With the lack of chrome lining, I'm surprised they did not take the Melonite route; perhaps cost was more of an issue.
    http://www.ruger.com/products/ar556/...eets/8500.html
    The QD sling swivel is certainly a neat and novel idea but its location on the bottom of the front sight base demonstrates Ruger's hunting rifle roots. Ideally Ruger would have included sockets at 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 to satisfy all users but probably anyone wanting to run a tactical sling will be adding some type of railed handguard with its own sling sockets.

I do wish Ruger would have nitrided or chromed the bore and chamber and I believe the decision was made not to add any coating strictly as a cost-saving measure. Maybe we'll see a more "professional" grade rifle in the future.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm tempted to picked one up just to test out, but I'm wondering if they will release other variants soon. A mid-length would be nice.
    I've actually been quite pleased with mine. It has been awhile since I've messed with a bare bones AR. It is kind of fun and I've been pleasantly surprised.

My plan now is to add a Troy Delta forend and add a sling. I had initially thought about changing out a bunch of parts but will just stick with the Troy forend for the time being. I'm not crazy about the furniture but it works fine so no need to replace it just because.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    The idea with the notched hammer and bolt carrier is to keep someone from removing the disconnector with the intent of making a machinegun. The notch in the carrier will snag on the hammer if the hammer isn't held by either the sear or the disconnector.

The notch in the carrier removed metal so the hammer is cocked partially by the firing pin. This causes wear and tear to both the firing pin and its retainer. It doesn't happen often but the wear can lead to broken firing pin retainers.

Colt used the notches for years but finally went away from them. As far as I know, Ruger is the only company using the notches now.