Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ruger's threaded delta ring.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Troy drop-in railed handguard fits fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    The idea with the notched hammer and bolt carrier is to keep someone from removing the disconnector with the intent of making a machinegun. The notch in the carrier will snag on the hammer if the hammer isn't held by either the sear or the disconnector.

The notch in the carrier removed metal so the hammer is cocked partially by the firing pin. This causes wear and tear to both the firing pin and its retainer. It doesn't happen often but the wear can lead to broken firing pin retainers.

Colt used the notches for years but finally went away from them. As far as I know, Ruger is the only company using the notches now.
    Ah ok ... I think I get it ... kinda haha (more of a visual learner). So then you're saying Ruger uses an AR-15 BCG for this rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    It's not bad perse, but why not just throw in a M16 carrier?

I'm sure this rifle will be decent but to me, this is just cost cutting and cheapness I have no interest in.
    Yep, I know what you mean. My guess is that this particular rifle is to cater more towards people who aren't into higher end stuff like us. Curious, is there a notable price difference to manufacture an AR-15 BCG vs M-16 BCG?

For the most part, a lot of the complete factory rifles I've looked at all had M-16 BCGs (granted I've only looked at higher end companies).

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm sure this rifle will be decent but to me, this is just cost cutting and cheapness I have no interest in.
    Agree. I'd pony up the extra 150$ and get a proven Colt...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is the "Colt notch" on the bottom of the bolt carrier. Note the exposed firing pin.

And here is the corresponding notch on the hammer that is designed to catch the carrier.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Ah ok ... I think I get it ... kinda haha (more of a visual learner). So then you're saying Ruger uses an AR-15 BCG for this rifle?

Yep, I know what you mean. My guess is that this particular rifle is to cater more towards people who aren't into higher end stuff like us. Curious, is there a notable price difference to manufacture an AR-15 BCG vs M-16 BCG?

For the most part, a lot of the complete factory rifles I've looked at all had M-16 BCGs (granted I've only looked at higher end companies).
    I don't think the rifle will disintegrate in your hands or anything because of the AR15 carrier. It will still function just fine.

I do believe, Ruger is catering to a certain market, and because they were trying to keep costs down as much as possible, had to cut some corners. Might be a great starter AR15 for someone's kid.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is the "Colt notch" on the bottom of the bolt carrier. Note the exposed firing pin.
    I'm sorry, I'm lost as to where on the carrier you're speaking of. I know what notched hammers look like; just not the corresponding section on the carrier.

I do believe, Ruger is catering to a certain market, and because they were trying to keep costs down as much as possible, had to cut some corners. Might be a great starter AR15 for someone's kid.
    At just under $600, I couldn't agree more.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This should help with your question.

http://weaponsman.com/?p=11263

Downloads
    Uploads
    This should help with your question.

http://weaponsman.com/?p=11263
    Makes sense! Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is an old crappy pic, but it shows a Colt carrier with the exposed firing pin. This was from a 6721 that had A LOT of rounds through it and it kept working, despite the wear and bent firing pin retaining pins. The M16 style BCG is essentially the industry standard and while not necessarily a deal killer for most, it was a stupid move by Ruger.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh ok. All starting to make more sense now. Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Ruger AR-556 Direct Impingement Rifle

I'm sure it's a fine rifle and that Ruger will stand behind their products but for some reason I just can't get excited about any of their ARs.

Which is weird bc my first pistol as a kid was a Ruger Mk1 .22 that I'm quite sentimental over