Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

What medical kit/gear do you carry?

Recently I've been thinking about the desirability of carrying more med gear than the typical FAK I keep in my bag (band aids, gauze, etc.) There are a lot of options on the market, and I've been looking through them (most are out of stock, must be a hot item) What gear do you guys carry, and what gear do you find the most necessary to carry? Any specific kits you guys would recommend? Buy individual items and pack them into a medical pouch of my own?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I keep one of these kits in my truck or range bag. I also added a SOFT T Tourniquet

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am using a med bag that I pieced together with the basics. Israeli bandage, quick clot, gauze, soft t TQ, etc.

I have realized that all of that means nothing if i don't know how to use it. Next year I will be taking the dark angel med class and also grabbing a couple of their kits.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use a kit for backpacking that was a partial kit from REI and some items I added. Not really a great option. I think about buying a new kit every now and then, but forget about it until the next time I rummage through my gear. Maybe I can get some ideas from this thread. I certainly don't need a $300 plus option that a trained medic or first responder would use, but a decent kit should be a part of my gear.
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.darkangelmedical.com/ as they sponsor the local training guys here in Michigan
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As a medic I have no good excuse as to why I don't do something like this already. I can get the components for free... Laziness I guess... :sigh: next project underway...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    As a medic I have no good excuse as to why I don't do something like this already. I can get the components for free... Laziness I guess... :sigh: next project underway...
    Curious to know what you think are the essential parts to a kit like this, for the uneducated I.e. Things the average man would actually know how to use if needed.

P.s. I added you on Instagram today, username k_warrenfeltz

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    http://www.darkangelmedical.com/ as they sponsor the local training guys here in Michigan
    Looks great, simple, everything I need and nothing I don't and reasonably priced. Thanks for the post.
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Like most things, I worry about reality first, fantasy second. So my primary concern is band-aids, after-bite, immodium, aleeve, and neosporin. I love the kits from http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/ and have had several. Currently there's a larger one in my truck and a smaller one in the pack I carry when we're out and about with the kids.

Beyond that I like my SHTFantasy kit to be in a self-contained package, and prefer that it not contain anything that someone might mis-use on me (like a chest decompression needle) and make things worse than they were before that person arrived.

For years I had no kit(s) while I waited around to build my own custom kit. Then I realized that an imperfect pre-packaged kit in my bag/truck/pack was better than the perfect, custom, fantasy kit that was still at the store.

Wow, that last part reminds me a lot of the guys with the two-year rifle builds, or the guys that won't get training because they don't have the perfect gun or gear...
    Last edited by rob_s; 7 October 2014 at 05:42.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads

What medical kit/gear do you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Like most things, I worry about reality first, fantasy second. So my primary concern is band-aids, after-bite, immodium, aleeve, and neosporin. I love the kits from http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/ and have had several. Currently there's a larger one in my truck and a smaller one in the pack I carry when we're out and about with the kids.

Beyond that I like my SHTFantasy kit to be in a self-contained package, and prefer that it not contain anything that someone might mis-use on me (like a chest decompression needle) and make things worse than they were before that person arrived.

For years I had no kit(s) while I waited around to build my own custom kit. Then I realized that an imperfect pre-packaged kit in my bag/truck/pack was better than the perfect, custom, fantasy kit that was still at the store.

Wow, that last part reminds me a lot of the guys with the two-year rifle builds, or the guys that won't get training because they don't have the perfect gun or gear...
    Same boat I'm in. I think I'm going to just piece together some essentials. Band aids, gauze, various bandages, tapes, shears, celox, and medications, and perhaps a tourniquet. I have no idea how to use the nasal passages or decompression needle, etc, and would assume most people in the woods don't either. Maybe I just need to pony up and take the dark angel class when they come through to F3 tactical next year.
    Last edited by Ride4frnt; 7 October 2014 at 10:03.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    Same boat I'm in. I think I'm going to just piece together some essentials. Band aids, gauze, various bandages, tapes, shears, celox, and medications, and perhaps a tourniquet. I have no idea how to use the nasal passages or decompression needle, etc, and would assume most people in the woods don't either. Maybe I just need to pint up and take the dark angel class when they come through to F3 tactical next year.

The guys at MDFI put on a great class from Dark Angel Medical. I am a firm believer if you are going to carry it better know how to use it before you put on your belt.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a buddy who works in the ER help me assemble a blowout kit.

Celox Applicator/Plunger Set
    Celox Granules
    Celox Gauze
    Pressure Wrap Bandage
    Super Glue
    Pocket Rescusitator
    Oral Airway Tube Set
    Combat Tourniquet for last resort

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    Curious to know what you think are the essential parts to a kit like this, for the uneducated I.e. Things the average man would actually know how to use if needed.

P.s. I added you on Instagram today, username k_warrenfeltz
    Ok I wondered who that was lol...

Anyway for me the essentials would be 4x4 gauze, roll gauze, several variations of tape(½", 1", 3") iv supplies such as angiocaths(iv needles), tubing, normal saline and lactated ringers fluid. Quick clot or some form of combat gauze or dressing. And of course simple bandages and such. I would probably also have some basic mess that can be given IV or IM. Thing such as Epi, thiamine, d50, and a few others.

If you know what it is it would be things I would get. Just my $.02...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    Ok I wondered who that was lol...

Anyway for me the essentials would be 4x4 gauze, roll gauze, several variations of tape(½", 1", 3") iv supplies such as angiocaths(iv needles), tubing, normal saline and lactated ringers fluid. Quick clot or some form of combat gauze or dressing. And of course simple bandages and such. I would probably also have some basic mess that can be given IV or IM. Thing such as Epi, thiamine, d50, and a few others.

If you know what it is it would be things I would get. Just my $.02...
    Oh lawd, he gets to talk shop. I think I know what gauze, tape, and tubing is, and def. welcome some lactation! Maybe you should have put on a class at the range meet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I split an order with some buddies with of a bunch of stuff from http://www.chinookmed.com/ and made a bunch of ifak's for all are friends and family . We also practiced giving IV's to each other which is great for hangovers I might add . I keep an old Blue Force Gear trauma kit in my bob and have a camelbak medbak insert in the car for emergencies .