Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

.277 Wolverine for Varmit Gun

I've got too many AR's and am putting the finishing touches on a AR-10 that I just obtained and am "re-engineering". I was going to quit after that, to take more time shooting, especially getting rusty with pistol. But I've got it in my head that I'd like a dedicated varmit rifle, with a heavy stainless barrel, and a lightweight hand guard with the ability to attach a small piece of rail on the bottom for a Bi-Pod.

I've been seeing a lot of talk about the .277 Wolverine. My first idea was just stick with a 5.56 barrel which will humanely kill coyotes at 300 yards, if I do my part. But the wolverine is getting some impressive muzzle velocity readings with 90 grainers.

Their website is pretty quiet about their claims at this time, with most info coming from around the 'net.

The only down side is it's a strictly load your own proposition from what I read on their FB page.

The upside is they use 5.56 brass, so a standard AR bolt will work, as well as mags, vs. other 6.8 rounds which require another bolt. Actually I could just build the upper and use it on one of my existing lowers.

Any input, yea or nay, warnings, advise, or just something to add here. All input would be greatly appreciated.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    FT it makes a great varmit gun. I opted for the 10.5'' barrel and have been very satisfied. Even in the short barrel the velocities are lookin great, like the BLK it seems it still holds performance even in the short offerings. I believe the 18" will tap the full potential and be as long as you would need to go in the AR. The only 90gr I've worked up so far was the Gold Dot pulls I have and I've been pushing them around 2550fps out of the 10.5", I could get more but I like the expansion at this speed and accuracy has been great. The first loaded rounds supplied by JB's is coming very soon and just so happens first up is the 90gr. TNT I believe which has been a great varmit round for the 6.8 shooters. I had a chance to take out a nuisance/predator animal this weekend, 100yd shot and moving, the Gold Dot dropped it right there. Check out my New cal. New build thread to see the 95gr. Barnes results. In the longer barrel it would be absolutely devastating.

Downloads
    Uploads

FT, I was one of the first to get a 16" 277 WLV barre back in July. I have also done a lot of load development for it. The numbers are very impressive IMO.

I have pushed a 90gr GD to over 2800fps and my deer hunting load will be a 100gr accubond that I have been getting consistent averages of 2675fps. Grouping for both is sub MOA all day long.

I also have found a good plinking load that is a little slower, around 2550, but gives me .4" grouping at 100yds.

I know 90GD factory loaded ammo will be available shortly, ie being made as we speak. There are also plans on a factory 100gr accubond, however, I don't have an ETA on that.

The WLV has been performing well enough in actually considering selling all my 6.8 stuff. As you mentioned same mags and bolts just makes sense to me. In a lot of ways I think it's what the 6.8 should have been.

Let me know if I can help you in any way. If I don't know an answer, I'll go and find out.

Medic
    Last edited by Dstrbdmedic167; 7 October 2014 at 10:22.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ohh, and I have also been able to ring steel at 300 meters consistently. On my Vortex Viper PA 6.5-20x44 it was just over two marks on the BDC reticle. (not good with drop calculations)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good info.....much appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads
    FT, I do need to update the website no doubt. Sorry about that. Km glad to see you're interested in the .277 Wolverine or at least have even heard of it.

Is it the ideal Varmint cartridge? No. Is it a good one with multiple other uses in an AR15 platform that only needs a barrel swap? Yes. At least we think so.

There are other cartridges out there that shoot flatter further, no arguments. The key to the WLV's success is versatility. You can use bullets from 80 grains to 110 grains with stellar performance from such a little case. The 85MPG are going over 2800 in handloads, the 90TNT over 2750 (Varmint and Target). The 95TTSX is going over 2600 and the 100AB as well (Deer and Hog Hunting). The 110 grain V-Max and 110 grain Sierra ProHunter over 2500 (anti-personnel or other). Once you get over 110 grains performance as far as velocity and trajectory start to dwindle but you pack a whallop of energy within 150 yards for close encounters on dangerous critters.

All that with the ease of just a barrel swap from your 5.56 platform... same mags, bolt, etc. And, it won't cost you an arm and a leg like some other Wildcats with incredibly expensive barrels and such.

I might suggest an 18" barrel for what it sounds like you want to do as you should be able to squeeze every fps you can. Over 18" doesn't seem worth it so far as the case is very efficient. I happen to have some 18" minor cosmetic blem barrels in right now for $180.00 shipped for example in 416R 5R stainless.

Anything I can do to help just let me know. I'm not a regular here but you can reach me anytime by using the contact us page on the website.

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MDWS View Post
    FT, I do need to update the website no doubt. Sorry about that. Km glad to see you're interested in the .277 Wolverine or at least have even heard of it.

Is it the ideal Varmint cartridge? No. Is it a good one with multiple other uses in an AR15 platform that only needs a barrel swap? Yes. At least we think so.

There are other cartridges out there that shoot flatter further, no arguments. The key to the WLV's success is versatility. You can use bullets from 80 grains to 110 grains with stellar performance from such a little case. The 85MPG are going over 2800 in handloads, the 90TNT over 2750 (Varmint and Target). The 95TTSX is going over 2600 and the 100AB as well (Deer and Hog Hunting). The 110 grain V-Max and 110 grain Sierra ProHunter over 2500 (anti-personnel or other). Once you get over 110 grains performance as far as velocity and trajectory start to dwindle but you pack a whallop of energy within 150 yards for close encounters on dangerous critters.

All that with the ease of just a barrel swap from your 5.56 platform... same mags, bolt, etc. And, it won't cost you an arm and a leg like some other Wildcats with incredibly expensive barrels and such.

I might suggest an 18" barrel for what it sounds like you want to do as you should be able to squeeze every fps you can. Over 18" doesn't seem worth it so far as the case is very efficient. I happen to have some 18" minor cosmetic blem barrels in right now for $180.00 shipped for example in 416R 5R stainless.

Anything I can do to help just let me know. I'm not a regular here but you can reach me anytime by using the contact us page on the website.

Thanks!
    O.K., from the MAN, himself. Actually wandered onto your FB page while doing the Stickman Giveaway thing. See, it does work! An 18" barrel was what I had in mind. What caught my eye was the 2750 fps with a 90 grain pill. Some quick calculations show that it should be great out to 300 or so for (primarily) Coyotes. Again, I think I'd just build an upper and use one of my other lowers. Glad to hear that there is factory ammo in the works, as I don't have my reloading bench set up, for several reasons.

Thanks for the info.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 8 October 2014 at 15:36.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    O.K., ordered the barrel, off we go on another adventure.... Will probably just build the upper and use it on an existing lower until I see how things go with this cartridge.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    O.K., ordered the barrel, off we go on another adventure.... Will probably just build the upper and use it on an existing lower until I see how things go with this cartridge.

FT
    Glad to hear you're in the fray now! I'm between here, the WLV forum and 68forums if you need any help once you get things rolling as far as ammo and such if you start reloading. Great to have you aboard!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    Glad to hear you're in the fray now! I'm between here, the WLV forum and 68forums if you need any help once you get things rolling as far as ammo and such if you start reloading. Great to have you aboard!
    Thanks, I am hoping for some loaded ammo for now. I'm considering a move, and don't really want to set up my reloading bench for now, but I can, I guess, if no loaded ammo comes along soon. We'll see if it's worth unboxing all of my gear and set up to reload, when I might just have to tear it back down again.

NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Resale will be difficult for an off the shelf chambered upper. I could see where you are concerned with the 556 ability to kill but a good varmint round should solve most of those issues. 6.5 Grendel is what i would've done. Amazing ballistics for long range and will handle medium to large game, and is becoming commercially available now.

At any rate, building them is half the fun. As long as you have a reloader... no problem.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What? All I have to do is mount a barrel in a upper receiver. Add a handguard, and that's about it. If you had read any of the post, one thing that makes this cartridge interesting is that it doesn't require another bolt or magazines, I'll just use and existing lower. I have plenty of lowers with NiB BCG's, 3.5 lb. triggers and CTR stocks. If I were worried about resale of the barrel, I wouldn't buy it. A 6.5 Grendel would be better for big game? Yes, but I have hunting rifles that are better than an AR for most hunting. I also have an AR-10 in 7.62 if I want to hunt with a AR platform rifle.

Yes I have reloading gear as stated at least a couple of times in this thread. Also, stated in the thread, from the folks at Mad Dog is that factory ammo is being loaded at this time. If necessary I will load my own.

Thanks,
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    What? All I have to do is mount a barrel in a upper receiver. Add a handguard, and that's about it. If you had read any of the post, one thing that makes this cartridge interesting is that it doesn't require another bolt or magazines, I'll just use and existing lower. I have plenty of lowers with NiB BCG's, 3.5 lb. triggers and CTR stocks. If I were worried about resale of the barrel, I wouldn't buy it. A 6.5 Grendel would be better for big game? Yes, but I have hunting rifles that are better than an AR for most hunting. I also have an AR-10 in 7.62 if I want to hunt with a AR platform rifle.

Yes I have reloading gear as stated at least a couple of times in this thread. Also, stated in the thread, from the folks at Mad Dog is that factory ammo is being loaded at this time. If necessary I will load my own.

Thanks,
    FT
    When I was first looking into the Wolvie I was itching to test and advance my reloading abilities on a wildcat and loved the idea of just a barrel swap to convert to 5.56 or BLK if it didn't pan out. Now i'm very pleased with my little setup and have enjoyed maybe one of the easiest cats out there to cut my teeth on. I really like the fact that it's capable of taking varmits up to deer sized game, great for my in season scouting trips here in GA. And yes in today's market and with the intrest in this I never worry about barrel resale.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GaSwamper View Post
    And yes in today's market and with the intrest in this I never worry about barrel resale.
    I hear you. I never go into an AR build worried about resale. That's a fools game. They are guns, comprised of "today's" state-of- the art" components, which are soon yesterdays old news. If it were a NIB Colt Python from the 60's, or one of the thousands of collectibles, I'd buy for investment value. If I were investing, I'd buy more silver and gold. If I just had to sell them, I'd guess I'd like to get my money back, but that's a foolish notion. I consider it money gone, and if I sold and recouped most of my money I'd be happy. I see guys trying to sell components and optics for right at, or even new prices. Saw a used Aimpoint P.R.O the other day for more than I could buy it from at Optics Planet, with bold letters: Price is Firm. My guess is that will be for sale for a while.

I haven't been involved in "wild catting" for quite a while, probably 20 years or more ago. I never really fell upon anything that something already available wouldn't do. Some of my hunting rifles were chambered for rounds that were commercially available, but had been based on a "wildcat". The .25-06, and the .338-'06 come to mind. Both are great rounds and I think both are still available commercially.

I've had enough experience with the 300 BLK that I knew, that for my personal needs and tastes, it didn't cut it for me. The 6.5 round out of a 18" SS barrel at 2900 f.p.s. sounds pretty good, for an AR platform rifle.
    I've had dedicated Varmit rifles that were an easy "kill" at 500 yds. But, where I live, maybe I'll have to shoot 200 yds at the most, at a coyote. Less for a fox.

Anyway, since I haven't had any experience with the .277 WLV, everything I have to go on is other's opinions and experiences, and anecdotal info. I will have fun figuring thing out for myself.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 8 October 2014 at 15:44.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyway, since I haven't had any experience with the .277 WLV, everything I have to go on is other's opinions and experiences, and anecdotal info. I will have fun figuring thing out for myself.

FT
    Isn't that half the fun though... I know I've had more fun developing loads and sharing data with this round than any other...