Downloads
    Uploads

DIY ballistics gel?

found this link http://survivaldefenselab.com/2014/0...asiest-method/ that supposedly shows how to make your own ballistics gel for much cheaper than buying it. I was curious if anyone has tried this and their opinions on it if so.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I usually just use jugs of water in front of old magazines for ballistic tests. So if I read that right it's just Jello right?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey I'm the guy who wrote the article, and just wanted to answer your question. This isn't actually Jello, it's gelatin. It's basically the structural ingredient of jello without the sugar and other chemicals. It's also the structural ingredient of ballistics gel. The key difference being additives that allow the gel to hold it's structure at room temperature. Without those additives you have around 3-4 hours after you remove it from the fridge before it becomes a sticky mess. I actually did try to make it with Jello, but it doesn't hold as the other ingredients weaken the structure. Keep an eye on the site though as in a couple months I will be getting my hands on professional ballistics gel, and will compare the ballistics of the two for myself and will then share the results on the site. If you have any other questions just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAuthor View Post
    Hey I'm the guy who wrote the article, and just wanted to answer your question. This isn't actually Jello, it's gelatin. It's basically the structural ingredient of jello without the sugar and other chemicals. It's also the structural ingredient of ballistics gel. The key difference being additives that allow the gel to hold it's structure at room temperature. Without those additives you have around 3-4 hours after you remove it from the fridge before it becomes a sticky mess. I actually did try to make it with Jello, but it doesn't hold as the other ingredients weaken the structure. Keep an eye on the site though as in a couple months I will be getting my hands on professional ballistics gel, and will compare the ballistics of the two for myself and will then share the results on the site. If you have any other questions just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.
    Cool, thanks may have to try this out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    damn, did he have the CIA bug that link? lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RobSWVA View Post
    damn, did he have the CIA bug that link? lol
    Yeah...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had bugs, but I can't tell you where they came from.....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Funny you should ask...
    My Post in the User Review section
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun