Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

wilson combat complete upper(potential purchase)

Howdy, I'm looking at grabbing a Wilson Combat Recon Tactical upper, 1-7, and adding their low pro adjustable gas block. Looking to see if anyone has run one of their uppers with their adjustable gas block and if there is anything else I should add or do to make the rifle run its smoothest. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have not run any of their assembled uppers, but for whatever it is worth I had a WC 16" mid length 6.8SPC barrel that shot very well, had a great blasted stainless finish and was fluted. It fit tightly in my Daniel Defense upper. I also installed one of their low pro gas blocks on and it was flawless, too.

Bear this in mind. WC doesn't manufacturer those uppers or barrels (not many do, actually) so if assembling an upper is possible for you, you might consider sourcing all the parts yourself. I'm not saying to not give WC your money; they are a reputable company.

As for additional accessories an ambidextrous charging handle is nifty. As far as uppers go, the barrel is really most important. Spend the lion's share of the money on the lower...nice trigger, good stock, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Mack, I have the lower planned out with a Mega Arms billet lower and a Geissele DMR trigger, then adding the DD furniture they are selling now, I figure with all that I will have a nice AR , still debating on which variable power optic at the moment. Most likely going with a USO SR-6. Luckily my wife would rather have nice gear then diamonds and crap like that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Decent AR? You'll have a very nice AR. For a rail system I prefer smooth narrow handguards you add small sections of rails as needed. Look into Geissele rail systems, too. Nice and priced the same as everyone else.

I'm not on a USO budget and frankly I don't find their glass to be worth $1500 more than others out there. They are all hand assembled, but it's just too out there for me. Vortex Razor HD scopes are fantastic and certainly less expensive than USO.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Vortex does make a great product . You are right about the price, but I figured it will be around long enough and I love the reticle on it. The key mod rails are a nice idea, seems to be catching on pretty well. Have you heard anything about the SWFA HD 1-6, that is my second option. I know they make great scopes but haven't used one yet. Doesn't matter at the end of the day, proper shooting fundamentals are whats important.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by winniedonkey View Post
    Vortex does make a great product . You are right about the price, but I figured it will be around long enough and I love the reticle on it. The key mod rails are a nice idea, seems to be catching on pretty well. Have you heard anything about the SWFA HD 1-6, that is my second option. I know they make great scopes but haven't used one yet. Doesn't matter at the end of the day, proper shooting fundamentals are whats important.
    Fundamentals are important, but poor glass is a hard failure point. Have BUIS regardless of optical quality. SWFA has quite a following, but I've never used their current glass. I've peered through generation 1 Super Sniper scopes and I've seen better in a thick fog. But they've come a LONG way I hear.

1x-6x is a fantastic power range for close to medium engagement. It's a solid choice. Primary Arms is developing quite a good name for themselves, too.

My next scopes will all likely be Vortex.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Forgot to add: you need some KNS Precision anti-rotation/anti-walk pins. Best $20 for the lower, honestly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the advice, hope your Vortex works out for you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I purchased the Primary Arms 1-6x ACSS today. I'll review when I receive it next week.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thnx, that will be helpful

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by winniedonkey View Post
    Have you heard anything about the SWFA HD 1-6, that is my second option. I know they make great scopes but haven't used one yet. Doesn't matter at the end of the day, proper shooting fundamentals are whats important.
    The SWFA 1-6 is a nice scope. Clear glass and I liked the reticle. It's pretty hefty though. I had it on my M1A for awhile until I sold it. I don't think I'd like it on an AR due to the weight. You can find them second-hand pretty often on Sniper's Hide.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Mack View Post
    Forgot to add: you need some KNS Precision anti-rotation/anti-walk pins. Best $20 for the lower, honestly.
    KNS anti-walk roll pins simply aren't worth the money. Trigger and hammer pins don't 'walk'. If they did AND it was a factor, military rifles would be using them, and they don't. Why waste money for something you aren't ever going to need? You'd shoot out whatever barrel you use before the trigger and hammer pins would ever become an issue. You could replace them 3 times and still not spend as much as the KNS anti roll pin set which is also harder to remove if you decide to replace a trigger...........
    So, it's not something you NEED.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Mack View Post
    KNS Pins are a waste of money. In fact all you have to do is look at all of their other hokey product offerings to realize these anti-walk pins are what rob_s would call snake oil.

The only time I'd consider it, and this is a MAYBE is if I had a 20K M16 Lower.

Downloads
    Uploads

wilson combat complete upper(potential purchase)

Agree 100% on KNS pins as well.......waste!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never used anti-rotation pins. They're not needed, but I guess they don't hurt anything except the wallet.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa