Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Build Help!

Downloads
    Uploads

Build Help!

Building an AR in 300Blk/Wsp. Started with a Mega billet lower, Cmmg lower parts kit, Magpul K2 grip, Phase 5 ebrv2, Odin Works xmr, and KNS mod ST anti walk pins. Have a mega trigger and billet upper, plus BAD enhanced pins on the way. Know for a fact I'm going with a geissele Mk8, more than likely getting an Ace hammer stock, and at some point upgrading the Mega to an Elftmann tactical service trigger. Planning on an SRC bcg and relia-bolt, Yankee Hill diamond fluted 16" barrel, and magpul pro sights. I've been told that my parts list is enough to let on that this is my first build, but I figure that I might as well go all out on something like this. My question though, is does this seem like a solid set up? shoul anything be changed? I'm pretty n00bish, so any help really would be awesome guys.

Downloads
    Uploads

Bear with me for the time being, using the cam on my PC because I smashed my phone at work and would rather put the money in my rifle than replace it. Haha

Downloads
    Uploads
    KNS pins are a waste of money in most circumstances. The lower parts kit isn't really needed since you're replacing practically every piece of it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I picked up the KNS pins at a local gun show for $5, and they look good. I plan on building another AR in 5.56 as soon as I'm done, so the extra parts will have a place, let alone the mega trigger needs the rest of the milspec parts to operate. I prefer to have dedicated platforms over conversion kits and the like.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like a good list and one heck of a build. I started my first build with a striped dpms forged lower and scrounged for parts as I could find them. If it's what you want keep on truckin, you'll have to build several to really see what you do and don't like.

Downloads
    Uploads
    All the spare cash I have at the moment is going to this build, and being as obsessed with the way my guns look as I am in them as a whole, I knew from the get-go I'd be paying for it. Plus not only is it my first build, it's my first rifle, and one that I'm building with my father. This has a lot of sentimental value already.
    As for finding parts, I've bought each and every one from a different online vendor, albeit the lower. Cashed in a favor at a local shop and had them order one for me. But I've found a lot of really good companies that I'll no doubt order from again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What billet upper are you going with? If it's a Mega, you might have issues. I'm not positive (someone else might be able to clarify), but the Mega billet uppers don't usually work with Geissele rails without modification.

I'm building a Mega billet rifle right now, and I decided on the Parallax Tactical M-lok handguard because the Geissele rails require machining of the upper receiver.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonScoring View Post
    What billet upper are you going with? If it's a Mega, you might have issues. I'm not positive (someone else might be able to clarify), but the Mega billet uppers don't usually work with Geissele rails without modification.

I'm building a Mega billet rifle right now, and I decided on the Parallax Tactical M-lok handguard because the Geissele rails require machining of the upper receiver.
    I can confirm this is true. Geissele rails and mega uppers require machining to work together.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're "noobish" I suggest building an AR as simple as possible and using the rest of your money on ammo and training. From there you can start deciding what you need to add.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ^ Couldn't agree more. In fact I would almost talk you out of a custom build as your first and getting a Colt and finding out what you like and what you would perhaps change in the future. Whatever route you go welcome to the sickness brother!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    ^ Couldn't agree more. In fact I would almost talk you out of a custom build as your first and getting a Colt and finding out what you like and what you would perhaps change in the future. Whatever route you go welcome to the sickness brother!
    Absolutely, with a sling, rds, and light.

Since you already started the build just focus on choosing parts from well respected companies. Just curious, why did you pick .300BLK over 5.56 as you're first AR? Personally I'd save for an AAC barrel instead of Yankee Hill.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would stick with the 5.56 platform vs 300 BLK if this is your build. The costs associated with 300 ammo might turn you off on the platform. Besides, unless you are suppressed and/or shooting a short barrel, I think the benefits of 300 BLK are wasted.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I totally agree with UW. If you don't have an absolute need for 300, the cost is prohibitive. Since I live in MN and can't own a suppressor, for me there is just no point other than, I guess, the cool factor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought .300blk for deer hunting, and really, the novelty has worn off. Have contemplated selling my .300blk barrel for a while now. I agree, if it's not suppressed or short barrel (or both) the benefits are wasted. I was uneducated at the time I built mine. It's a fine gun, but it does nothing more than what the same gun in 5.56 could do, IMO, and costs more to shoot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I would stick with the 5.56 platform vs 300 BLK if this is your build. The costs associated with 300 ammo might turn you off on the platform. Besides, unless you are suppressed and/or shooting a short barrel, I think the benefits of 300 BLK are wasted.
    Well, I have paperwork in the works for a stamp on my Osprey 9mm which was originally bought for my M&P core. Was getting ready to send it off to salient arms, then decided to tackle this and leave money aside for whenever KelTec decides to release the CMR. But I digress-I saw that the osprey was rated for 300 blk, and the fact that I hate the tax stamp nonsense is preventing me from ever doing it again, I want to stick to one.

Also, I meant that I was noobish in the AR world, I have a fair experience with rifles and the culture in general. While I did plan on getting training underway with the AR specifically as soon as it was complete, I chose to go all out because I don't plan on having more than two or 3, with specialized platforms. (EG, next is a 308)