Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Converting Mapgul's AFG2 to Keymod mount (Guide)

Hanging my AFG2 off of a rail and hanging the rail off of the keymod hand guard seemed counter intuitive, dropped the grip too low for comfort, and was downright fugly. So I eliminted the middle man by drilling two holes through the grip.
    Before:

After:

Using the 5-slot rail included with my MI hand guard as a jig, I drilled two 11/64" holes as shown below.

I then robbed the Keymod hardware from that same piece of rail, though the hardware is available at armorerssupply.com and other sites.

Mount it, tighten it up, and it's ready to rock. It's not shown in photos but I did end up buying button head bolts to use instead of the flat head bolts that should be countersunk. (Bolt size is 8-32)

Hope this helps some of you dealing with a lack of Keymod specific accessories. Mapgul can keep their M-LOK for now.
    (Sorry for the large pics, took them from my FB page because I cannot upload photos yet.)
    Last edited by Chevtec; 9 October 2014 at 08:10.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's brilliant! I see a project or three on my next 4 days off...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice first post !!!...Welcome..

I like this...Whos got the best price on a couple of these nuts....lol..That sounded wrong..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    I like this...Whos got the best price on a couple of these nuts....lol..That sounded wrong..
    Then get your head out the gutter, silly goose

Looks rock solid Chevtec. How long did it take you to do, from start to finish?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Nice first post !!!...Welcome..

Everyone comes in pretty close... it's the shipping that gets ya.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Then get your head out the gutter, silly goose

Looks rock solid Chevtec. How long did it take you to do, from start to finish?
    After convincing myself it would work... 10 minutes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That looks great! Good job!
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevtec View Post
    Everyone comes in pretty close... it's the shipping that gets ya.

ya just kinda searched around...pack of 5 $7 bux plus $9 for shipping...What ....lol..

BCM has them for like a buck something a piece but minimum shipping is $8 bux....I just want 2..

I have a AFG2 sitting around and a keymod rail that needs something, so want to do this in my spare time, i like it and im a DIY'er kinda dude...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to know info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    You might consider drilling one more hole just behind one of the keymod nuts and running a socket cap screw into the afg. This will act as a recoil lug that will engage the wide part of the keymod slot after mounting, and will prevent the afg from moving rearward as you pull on it.

The recoil lug is part of the keymod spec for a good reason. Nice job on the mod!
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    You might consider drilling one more hole just behind one of the keymod nuts and running a socket cap screw into the afg. This will act as a recoil lug that will engage the wide part of the keymod slot after mounting, and will prevent the afg from moving rearward as you pull on it.

The recoil lug is part of the keymod spec for a good reason. Nice job on the mod!
    At first I thought I would have to come up with something for a recoil lug. A socket cap screw will be too tall. I would need a very short screw, so as not to protrude through the grip, with a very low profile cap.
    After tightening it up as is, I'm not worried about the AFG working loose. I've pulled and jerked on it pretty good and it hasn't slipped. I'm confident it will work for me.
    Follow my Facebook page: Chevtec Shooting Solutions, for reviews, how-to guides, and industry news.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can get a low profile socket cap from McMaster, or simply countersink a normal socket cap.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    You can get a low profile socket cap from McMaster, or simply countersink a normal socket cap.
    Thanks. That's something to consider. I'm not sure there's enough material to work with to counter sink a screw that I don't want penetrating through the grip. If this current setup fails I'll have to look into it.
    Follow my Facebook page: Chevtec Shooting Solutions, for reviews, how-to guides, and industry news.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you push forward then you'll probably never have an issue. Definitely a cool mod. :D