Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

1911 as a carry gun, yes or no? (share your experience)

I've recently acquired a 1911-A1 (Springer Range Officer) as a trade and some cash. I've never owned a 1911 before and fired one in the past, just once (a TRP Operator if I recall). I've heard plenty of stories, both good and bad, but I'm reaching out to you guys for any experience you have with them. I currently carry a Glock 19 (in the car, open carry) but since receiving the 1911 I want to give it some love too.

My questions are: is it reliable? does it cost ALOT of money in custom work to make it reliable? should I have a 1911 gunsmith on standby for emergencies?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I carry a few 1911's during the colder seasons when I am able to wear a coat, but I am also a larger guy so it does not print. My main carry is a gen 1 Springfield MC Operator that I carry with a Galco Miami Classic. Very comfortable and I am able to carry two spare mags on my person. I would say 5-600 would get you a 1911 that is reliable from a reputable brand (Springfield, Ruger, Remington even the Rock Islands are reliable). The whole idea that you need to have a fully custom 1911 in order for it to be reliable is a myth, like any platform there are ones that are great and there are lemons. Only way to find out is to get one and put some rounds through it. It will probably take you a while to get used to carrying condition 1 if you don't normally, but that is how the 1911 was designed. Draw, safety off and fire.

When it comes to 1911's for carry usually the looser fit ones will actually work a little better as it allows for dust/carry gunk to not gum up the action like it would on say a tight fit Les Baer (not saying you couldn't carry one).

Like any carry gun I would research the model your looking at for known issues, and test it yourself to make sure its 100% before you put it into your carry rotation.

FWIW I have had over 10 Springfields and they have all ran like raped apes with any ammo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for info, Velocity, and for sharing your experience, definitely makes me more comfortable about 1911s. I'm going to take her out to the range soon, see how she runs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just an FYI that is a Loaded model not a Range Officer in your pic. Still a great gun, the slide is coated with their Armory Kote and the frame seems to be parked, if your carrying it will want to watch the wear areas for rust but that's about it.

RO uses target style rear sights and has a NM serial prefix on the frame. Gun pictured is an N frame Loaded with Novak style sights.
    Last edited by velocity2006; 9 October 2014 at 13:47.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Normally I carry an M&P, but I have carried a Kimber in the past. I keep telling myself that eventually I'll buy or build one to carry again as it actually printed slightly less and the magazines WAY less. Only catch was I had less ammo even with one spare mag than I would with my M&P with NO spare mags so... that's been the caveat for me.

As for reliability... that Kimber died when the frame started to crack. Somewhere north of 35,000 rounds.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by odmichael View Post
    I've recently acquired a 1911-A1 (Springer Range Officer) as a trade and some cash. I've never owned a 1911 before and fired one in the past, just once (a TRP Operator if I recall). I've heard plenty of stories, both good and bad, but I'm reaching out to you guys for any experience you have with them. I currently carry a Glock 19 (in the car, open carry) but since receiving the 1911 I want to give it some love too.

My questions are: is it reliable? does it cost ALOT of money in custom work to make it reliable? should I have a 1911 gunsmith on standby for emergencies?
    In short, no.

I own a Sig Carry Scorpion .45ACP and I love it. It is SUPERB in every way I need it to be. But it fails in my minimum ammo requirement for a full size carry gun: 12 rounds minimum. Additionally, I've trained for years with "glock style" pistols and relearning a platform (with a safety) is not on my list of to-dos.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've carried a Kimber TLE Custom II Pro for the last several years. Most of you probably have more carry time than me though due to firearm restrictions on a DOE work site. Once I polished my feed ramps and got several hundreds through it I felt pretty confident with it as my carry piece. I don't know if I would go as far as to say its as reliable as a Glock, but it has done very well. If you've never fired a bushing less commander sized 1911 you don't know what your missing.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't say yes or no, as far as it being a viable EDC weapon. I carried them for years. In the late 80's was the first time I remember seeing a polymer handgun, a G17 at a gun club. The guy let me fire it, and I thought, no way. If then, you had told me I'd be carrying anything but a 1911, I would have looked at you like you had 3 heads.

These days there are just too many polymer guns to carry. I don't have to worry about my Wilson Combat Custom, or Ed Brown, every time I bump into something. Or falling off into a deep hole while fishing in a creek with an expensive gun and leather holster. I own M&P's, all have APEX FSS triggers that are crisp and about 4lbs. They are lighter, easier to maintain and can take a lot of abuse, at a price that doesn't make you cry like a little girl, if you scratch them. We are talking carry guns. If you are especially fanatical about not getting the slightest mark on your carry gun, don't carry it, put it in the safe.

Back to is it a viable carry gun? Sure. It's not like it was one of the most beloved firearm to carry in the world, then sucked the day Glock introduced the polymer gun to America. I just find it's more practical to carry something lighter, easier to maintain, and not nearly as expensive. Weight is also a consideration for me. Most of my 1911's have been sold, with the exception of a couple that I have sentimental attachment to.

And the SA Range Gun is a great 1911 right out of the box.

People could write 400 threads with their personal opinions (such as mine are). The real test, is for you to carry one for a while and see if you like it, or would prefer something else.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good post FT. It's like picking your wife's EDC, you better keep your mouth shut and let her get what she wants.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm fairly new to carry. In hot weather I found my self leaving the compact CZ home in favor of a J Frame snubby. The slow reload time is moving me to a single stack Walther PPS. For cooler weather I'm going to try my Colt Black Army 1911. Slimness is key for comfort for me. Hopefully this will work IWB. No doublestack has been tolerable to date.

I inquired about the reliability and performance of a stock old style repro Colt on a 1911 forum. Consensus was absolutely fine without any custom mods. Guys are still running original war Colts just replacing normal wear items. For precision/competition It would need a lot of cash dumped in it. For close range center-of-scumbag it should suffice. As to low round capacity, it's 3 more than my .38 and much faster to reload. I figure the big boom factor adds intimidation value too. A lot of folks also liked the Springfield for a non-beaucoup bucks 1911.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah I made the assumption it was a Range Officer with night sights added. Thanks for the clarification. Ill look out for any rust, keep her well oiled. If I was to customize this 1911 any further, what would you suggest that I have done first? Thanks V

Downloads
    Uploads
    Polish your feed ramp to a mirror finish. I personally like a checkered front strap.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me it's both yes and no. Idaho is an open carry state and I do open carry my .45 periodically. I do have a shoulder holster for concealed carry but that only works out well when temps are cool enough to wear a jacket. What I need to do is get myself a .380 or something like a Makarov 9mm for warmer weather concealed carry.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've trained with and carried 1911s and 2011s. My reliability experience is that a 5" 2011s ran 2k rounds in the Boise rain and mud with 3 malfunctions (1 operator failure to seat magazine, 1 mag spring failure, and one dirt in the mag ailure to push rounds up). That pistol was more reliabile than Glocks and M&Ps at the same class. It isn't a stock pistol, but it gave me confidence that a 1911 could be reliable in adverse conditions. I've carried that pistol concealed in OWB Kydex, and have been able to cover it with a long loose shirt.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have a good compact pistol, yet. I do carry my Springfield double stack 1911, though. Especially in cold weather, when I can wear a coat. In ND, that is more often then not. ;-)

Being a skinny guy doesn't help, so I need the coat to hide it. I trade off between the 1911 and my Beretta Vertec 9mm.