Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Once a pistol is proven reliable, and is kept up, and ready then you are good to go.

I see nothing wrong with carrying a 1911 pattern pistol, with the right holster. I think a 1911 should be kept as close to JMB's original design as possible. I do have Novaks, slim grips and larger safety's on mine, but it isn't super tight. Having said that, most of the time I carry a Glock. I am looking at a KAHR 9mm compact for carry for the same reason as the glock, it's easier to conceal and keep clean.

With the proviso that I am not a gunslinger, policeman, LEO, military, and the only thing I operate is the kuerig.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you had to clear that Kuerig yet?
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    yep.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I carry a Kimber 1911 everyday for work either in a shoulder rig or my crossbreed supper tuck. The 1911 is a little heavy but I like how thin it is and how easily I can counsel it

Downloads
    Uploads
    I carried a full size Les Baer for over two years.

Are far as a proven platform - the 1911 hasn't dominated everything 100+ years for no reason. I personally don't think there's a better platform and they're ALMOST like the AR-15 of the handgun world. If you can dream it, someone has likely done it to the 1911.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What are your opinions on the Recover Tactical 1911 grip/rail mount?

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.10-8performance.com/pages...fications.html

Poke around the rest of the 1911 articles there. You don't have to go balls out, but I'd at least send it in to SACS or a good 1911-smith for a reliability package and having the ejector pinned.

A slightly upgraded Range Officer is what I carry 99% of the time. Yes, they're heavy and a large firearm, but they're not terribly difficult to conceal. A good belt and holster will ameliorate any discomfort caused by weight, and should be factored into the cost of any pistol purchase. Ares Gear's Aegis belt is about perfect for EDC, unless you're partial to leather. You might want to check out 1911addicts.com and the 1911 subforum at m4carbine.net, too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This company makes very nice leather holsters.

https://www.dragonleatherworks.com/
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    You don't need to have a gunsmith on speed dial, if that Springfield doesn't run after 500 rounds give them a call. They stand behind every one of their pistols.
    A good gun belt and a good holster will make it pretty easy to carry. 1911s are thin so they don't print much under clothing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I learned how to shoot at an early age, and a Colt Gold Cup was one of the guns I started with. Nothing beats a good 1911 trigger IMO and the ergos and slim concealable form is fantastic. Yes, there are reliable 1911's to be had.

My issue with defensive/duty use, and my hesitation in using one is based on its capacity. The same reason I won't carry a Sig 220 or other low capacity pistol. In today's world of active shooters, bad guys working in packs, terrorist wannabes, etc., I don't think a single stack gun is prudent. My G21 is the lowest capacity pistol I'm comfortable having on me.

Everyone has different priorities but as an example, if I'm at the mall, with no access to anything else, and things go sideways an 8 or 9 shot blaster hardly seems sufficient. Factor in that handguns are horrible people stoppers and even the best among us won't get 100% hits... And bad guys use cover... And handguns have trouble getting through automobiles... I consider a 1911 an heirloom, range gun, teaching tool, and maybe a "BBQ gun" if I do carry it out of the house.