Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vertical Grips

Downloads
    Uploads

Vertical Grips

How do you all feel about vertical grips? Is it necessary or just for tactical ninjas that like to load their rifles with unecessary weight?

And if they are useful, which are the good ones?

This product made me wonder about vertical grips, hence my curiosity.
    http://damageindustriesllc.com/produ...913-rail-mount

Downloads
    Uploads
    The introduction of the broomstick grips in the SOPMOD kit was a result of too many accessories bolted to the hand guard/quad rail to get a good hold. They've evolved heavily from there. I've always used them more as a reference point and hand stop rather than wrapping all 4 knuckles around them. They made a decent monopod in a pinch too.

I really like that Damage Ind. grip, especially at that sale price.
    Follow my Facebook page: Chevtec Shooting Solutions, for reviews, how-to guides, and industry news.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevtec View Post
    The introduction of the broomstick grips in the SOPMOD kit was a result of too many accessories bolted to the hand guard/quad rail to get a good hold. They've evolved heavily from there. I've always used them more as a reference point and hand stop rather than wrapping all 4 knuckles around them. They made a decent monopod in a pinch too.

I really like that Damage Ind. grip, especially at that sale price.
    I always thought that a reference point or hand stop was what they were there for, not a device to squeeze and steer the gun with...... I've never used them, but I had friends that did, then switched to the small "stubby" sized, for a better "hand stop" without the length.
    Last edited by FortTom; 10 October 2014 at 18:27.
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me they are a must. My favorite is the short BCM grip. I use it to pull the rifle back into my shoulder, like this picture of LAV:

I've also used the Magpul AFG2, which I would have thought would have fit me better, but I just can't get on with them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also use them to pull back. I've tried handstops but I like VFG's better. I've ordered the Unity Tactical VFG.

http://www.unitytactical.com/shop/direct-mount-vfg/
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have one here or here but i mostly use a AFG mostly now. When I first held one(AFG) i didn't like it but know its on a good portion of my rifles.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Same, I use it as more of a hand stop than a grip. I personally didn't like the AFG at first. Couldn't get a good grip on it. I will say the one thing I liked about it was when I was shooting my 45° sights. It made it feel more natural rolling the rifle over, and gave me more of an ergonomic feel. I saw an awesome mod to it that I wanted to try , but then Fortis came out with their vert, so I saved the weight.
    It's difficult to soar with eagles, when you work with turkeys...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to roll a vert grip in the same manner mentioned above, as an index and aid to pull back with. After I spent some time behind an AR pistol however, I found myself more pushing down/forward to counter recoil and muzzle rise, which kind of altered my thinking as I was surprised at how stable I could keep the platform that way. Now I prefer a simpler handstop and use the forward and down technique. Works really well with the thumb-over-bore hold I use.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonScoring View Post
    For me they are a must. My favorite is the short BCM grip. I use it to pull the rifle back into my shoulder, like this picture of LAV:

I've also used the Magpul AFG2, which I would have thought would have fit me better, but I just can't get on with them.
    I use VFG's just like Carbon does in this photo. I like the "pit" of the VFG for my grip. Also useful for barricades.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Like others have stated, I use the VFG as shown in the pic of LAV. Many years ago I used a full size and gripped it like a reporter holds a microphone. I also had my light at 5 o'clock and used my thumb to activate it. As I started moving my weapon lights to 12 or 2 o'clock, I switched to handle stops (IWC and the LaRue finger rest).

As my skills improved and I learned more, I've gone to the stubby VFG as I find it serves better when bracing cover or barricades. My favorites are the Unity Tactical for slick tubes, and the Gear Sector for pic rails. The one the OP posted looks like it would work and I may give it a try. I also want to try this one from Riverman Gun Works.

http://www.rivermangunworks.com/#!pr...4%A2-fore-grip

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's interesting that so many companies make so many variations on the same thing, all claiming one advantage or another.

I like, and still use, the Tango Down version, having switched from the full-length to the stubby, and now using the stubby without the cap to make it a little bit more... Stubby.

When I bought a KMR I had to find a different solution, and so the BCM Keymod VFG seems the appropriate solution. I haven't shot with it yet but so far it seems to do the trick.

Anytime I see or hear someone dismiss the VFG as "tacticool" it pretty much tends to be an early warning sign of their supreme ignorance. That said, for all those ARs that never leave the bench, I don't get why anyone would use a VFG.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    It's interesting that so many companies make so many variations on the same thing, all claiming one advantage or another.

I like, and still use, the Tango Down version, having switched from the full-length to the stubby, and now using the stubby without the cap to make it a little bit more... Stubby.
    The only difference between vertical grips (besides things like the Magpul AFG and Fortis SHIFT) other length that I see is the roundness. I've used the stubby Tango Down, but I'm not a fan of the roundness. I prefer the BCM because it seems a bit thinner and more oblong. Also, because my hand fits in the crook where the grip meets the handguard, the shape of that area is important to the feel for me. The Keymod BCM grip is really nice, but I don't mind the picatinny version either.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Grip Stop is awesome. It is machined out of aluminum so it can also be used as a foot to press against barriers. Very comfortable as well. Here is one mounted on a Fathom Arms URG.

Premium AR-15 parts for the customer who demands reliability and quality.
    www.FathomArms.com
    Facebook
    Instagram
    sales@fathomarms.com (817) 374-2596
    Fathom Arms URG Review
    Fathom Arms Mil-Spec BCG Review

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone use the VTAC vertical grip? I've been really tempted by it, but for the price I haven't been willing to try it yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonScoring View Post
    The only difference between vertical grips (besides things like the Magpul AFG and Fortis SHIFT) other length that I see is the roundness. I've used the stubby Tango Down, but I'm not a fan of the roundness. I prefer the BCM because it seems a bit thinner and more oblong. Also, because my hand fits in the crook where the grip meets the handguard, the shape of that area is important to the feel for me. The Keymod BCM grip is really nice, but I don't mind the picatinny version either.
    That's kind of what I'm getting at. That is a LOT of minutiae for people to get wrapped up in. Up to a point it relates to ergonomics, and so in that respect it's important, but tracking after all these little nuances is likely wasted on the vast majority of buyers.

Further, without the trigger time to back it up, what might feel good in the living room may suck on the range.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET