Downloads
    Uploads

Shooting Gloves question

Does anyone have any suggestions on really warm but thin gloves good for shooting in the winter? I'm talking COLD winter here - 20-30 below zero winter. We have such winter every year here in the Rockies. I don't know enough about what is available for good thin gloves that will keep my hands warm yet still allow me to have tactile touch feel through them.
    -Will-

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like OR and SKD gloves, but I've heard from a lot of people that the best cold weather shooting gloves are golf winter gloves.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I like OR and SKD gloves, but I've heard from a lot of people that the best cold weather shooting gloves are golf winter gloves.
    SKD gloves are great - but don't work too well once it gets below 40 degrees F (at least for me they don't).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have yet to find both thin and warm gloves, especially at the temps you're talking. I have done winter backpacking for years, and have always been on the search for the "holy grail" of gloves that were thin and warm, some come close, but no where near to deadly temperatures of 20 to 30 below zero weather. In fact, just personally, I wouldn't head out in the wilderness for any reason at those temps. Did it in survival school, and that was about all I wanted of that.

If you do find some that meet those requirements, make sure you post and let us all know. Might find something close at REi?
    Check there. Come to think of it, my ECWS bag is only rated to -30F for 6 hours. You sure pick some cold assed days to go shooting...
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    That cold there will be nothing that isn't bulky if you want to be able to have feeling in your fingers after 10 minutes. Maybe some type of neoprene glove would get you the closest.

This is all my personal experience. Just bought some colder weather motorcycle gloves and had to go somewhat bulky.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When used to snowboard silk liners as a base layer under gloves worked well.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is one thing i need to grab also. gets frickin cold on my neck of the woods also

Never had a dedicated pair of shooting gloves.....i do need to get something

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do have a pair of neoprene gloves and they do keep hands and fingers warm, still though, you lose the tactile feel with them. DuPont makes thinsulate and it does work well. I used to have a jacket lined with it. I haven't found any gloves worth a darn using it though. I'll keep my eyes open for finding something good though and if I do I'll be sure to post and let everyone know. For me, 20 below and 30 below are temps I've been used to for about 30 years. I go out and do stuff outside at those temps in the winter often. Never have found anything decent to use for shooting gloves in those temps though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since moving to AK I have experimented with may set-ups

What I have found that works best is to use a set of trigger finger mittens and a decent thin liner under them. I use the USGI trigger finger mittens with OR PL400 glove liners. That way you can keep your hands warm while moving about then doff the mittens if you need to do something with more dexterity for a few minutes without worrying about contact frost bite.

I've been out for hours at - 40 and colder using this set up and still have all my fingers. You won't find something thats thin enough for dexterity and warm enough to keep your fingers still attached at -30 without using a layered technique.

Downloads
    Uploads
    WHS not sure what type of use you have in mind for these, but for really cold days hunting where I need to keep my hands warm 99% of the time, but also need dexterity for shooting for that potential 1% I use these from Under armour.

Simple design, just a small slit to get your trigger finger out when you need to.

PS: Only had these out to about zero degrees but hands stayed warm in the tree stand for 6 hours

Downloads
    Uploads
    I look into those DutyUse - they might work.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.