Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Polymer Lowers, Yay or Nay?

I have a stripped poly lower which I'm considering turning into a 7.5 5.56 AR pistol. I don't know a lot about polymer lowers, so I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with them? Would you recommend one? and if it's smart to build an AR-15 pistol platform using a polymer lower?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=CEAYW_2y4VU

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    I personally wouldn't use any poly receivers, might be ok for just a range gun, but for anything that's gonna demand reliability and trust in the weapon it wouldn't be a good choice. I've seen them crack, blow up, melt and so on.. also I've damaged standard lowers while in Afghanistan, so poly would not hold up in any kind of combat or defensive situation for very long

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a dedicated .22 upper on a poly lower, but I would never trust one for a 5.56, I have personally seen too many have issues that you never see with a forged lower.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    This question pops up often. Usually the overall consensus is "no I wouldn't trust one" but with no reasoning behind it other than it's polymer. Sgt.G, though is one of the few, if any, that I've read that has firsthand knowledge and a visual on such an occurrence, rather than just hearsay and anecdotal responses. I do believe I'd take his word for it.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you must have a polymer lower, GWACS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nay. What's the point?

Some people need to learn the difference between new and better.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nope. I've broken several with normal use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Buy a forged or billet aluminum receiver, plastic is for Tupperware.

Downloads
    Uploads
    PSA has forged lowers for $49.99.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...view/id/10445/
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Nay. What's the point?

Some people need to learn the difference between new and better.
    Even a better answer
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    Nope. I've broken several with normal use.
    Can you elaborate? All I'm reading online is positive stuff, I want the truth though, real first hand experience.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by odmichael View Post
    Can you elaborate? All I'm reading online is positive stuff, I want the truth though, real first hand experience.
    Two folks here have spoken from experience. Do you think they're lying? Just asking. If all you're reading online is positive, then buy one. My question would be why? But that's besides the point, I've never owned one, exactly because of the answer Rob_s gave, why? There's better out there for the same or less money. I don't think you're going to get many more explicit details than what you got from Sgt. G or Moxy Dave? MD is a long time and well respected member here. The fact that he's broken several should stand for itself. If you're looking for someone to give you warm fuzzies about them, go back to the "internet" where you heard nothing but good things, then buy one. The reason that many of us here nevered bothered with one, is the horror stories (except in situations like a dedicated .22 rifle) about them. I'm a little amazed that two experienced people told you about their first hand experience with them breaking, and you retort with "I want the truth though, real first hand experience". sorry MD and Sgt. G, your version is now deemed false. With my best Jack Nicholson impersonation it sounds like "YOU WANT THE TRUTH, YOU WANT TRUTH? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH"...geez some peoples kids..
    Last edited by FortTom; 12 October 2014 at 15:30.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    I researched this very same issue 2 years ago and then asked advice from several people when I decided to build an AR. Back then New Frontier had complete lowers for sale at around $130. The consensus was "Don't buy one".

The best answer I remember well was "the AR was designed using an aluminum lower receiver and that's what you should use". Guys posted pictures for me of polymer lowers that had broken. One of their truly week points is where the buffer tube mounts. So, I stick with forged lower receivers. They aren't all that expensive now either. My Anderson Mfg. stripped lower was $57.50 with the shipping and I didn't have to pay my local FFL to do the transfer for me. If you buy one from a local gun shop they do the transfer for you.

As mentioned above, a couple guys in this forum have first hand experience with them and they did a good job of answering the question. What you do is up to you. Take their advice or don't take their advice. If I had bought one before having researched about them, I would have sold it and bought a forged one. Perhaps at some time in the future someone will come up with a polymer that is even stronger than hardened steel. Nobody has such a strong polymer now though.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I might would consider one for a 22lr only such as my M&P 15-22, but not for a "standard" AR. If you look hard enough you can find fully assembled uppers from Aero, PSA and Anderson for less than $200 even around $150 for blemished models. For that price no point in considering one IMO

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not saying they couldn't work and I've never owned one. But for a pistol AR? Hell. No. Not based on info I've read the last few years. Pistol ARs have more Gass pressure entering the upper/lower cavity, more violent bolt stop against the rear of the buffer tube (screwed to plastic lower) and other similar greater stresses.

Stick with aluminum receivers.