Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did the jmt. Was fun and nerve racking to mill. I'm not too impressed with them when you can get a mil spec for 55$

Downloads
    Uploads

I've seen one to many picture like that for me to trust one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry, the pic won't do, he wants real firsthand knowledge! How about that warranty? Was it 50/50, if it breaks you get both pieces?
    Last edited by FortTom; 12 October 2014 at 16:48.
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know why people keep trying to justify their polymer purchases.

The main argument that Polymer Manufacturers seem to make is that they are just as strong as aluminum ones. Well if they are just as strong, why am I going to possibly pay the same or more than an aluminum one to save a couple of oz's maybe?

Good aluminum lowers that are in spec are and have been under $100. There is zero reason to buy a Poly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How much weight do you actually save by choosing plastic over aluminum?

An ounce or two? Not worth it to me, especially when you're losing strength and durability.

If I want to shave weight I'll do it via the barrel and handguard.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Two folks here have spoken from experience. Do you think they're lying? Just asking. If all you're reading online is positive, then buy one. My question would be why? But that's besides the point, I've never owned one, exactly because of the answer Rob_s gave, why? There's better out there for the same or less money. I don't think you're going to get many more explicit details than what you got from Sgt. G or Moxy Dave? MD is a long time and well respected member here. The fact that he's broken several should stand for itself. If you're looking for someone to give you warm fuzzies about them, go back to the "internet" where you heard nothing but good things, then buy one. The reason that many of us here nevered bothered with one, is the horror stories (except in situations like a dedicated .22 rifle) about them. I'm a little amazed that two experienced people told you about their first hand experience with them breaking, and you retort with "I want the truth though, real first hand experience". sorry MD and Sgt. G, your version is now deemed false. With my best Jack Nicholson impersonation it sounds like "YOU WANT THE TRUTH, YOU WANT TRUTH? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH"...geez some peoples kids..

I already have the lower though, my friend needed some money, so I bought it off him. I guess I'll sell it, since the consensus seems to be mostly negative. Thanks for the input guys, I may have made a grave mistake.
    Last edited by odmichael; 12 October 2014 at 22:05.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So that said, anyone wanna buy a poly lower? We'll start the bidding at 3 cents.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by odmichael View Post
    So that said, anyone wanna buy a poly lower? We'll start the bidding at 3 cents.
    I'll bid a buck. And save you postage too. Just promise to post a photo of post hammer smash.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I already have the lower though, my friend needed some money, so I bought it off him. I guess I'll sell it, since the consensus seems to be mostly negative. Thanks for the input guys, I may have made a grave mistake.
    Since you already have the lower, why not just try it? Generally a 7.5" pistol isn't exactly the gun you have next to your bed when things go bump in the night, so for a range/fun gun it would be a great host for a lower that you know may have issues with. If/when is fails, have a replacement ready.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPER 237 View Post
    Since you already have the lower, why not just try it? Generally a 7.5" pistol isn't exactly the gun you have next to your bed when things go bump in the night, so for a range/fun gun it would be a great host for a lower that you know may have issues with. If/when is fails, have a replacement ready.
    That's partly why I was building the 7.5, what do you keep bedside? I currently have a shotgun leaning up against my corner.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPER 237 View Post
    Since you do already have it and technically/legally it IS the gun, go ahead and use it. If I had it and it belonged to me, that's what I'd likely do even though I wouldn't choose to buy one.

Knowing now what has been provided for info for you, my recommendation is NOT to build a pistol from it UNLESS you put an adjustable gas block on it to bleed out gas so that just the amount necessary to have the action cycle gets into the upper receiver.

If you don't use an adjustable gas block building the gun, don't build a pistol with it.

If I had it (and selling it way out here in the middle of nowhere would be a bit of a pain in the butt..), I'd build a carbine/rifle with rifle length gas port. That would minimize the gas pressure going back to the bolt carrier and slamming into the buffer. I wouldn't ever want to really trust my life on the gun, but, that's how I'd build it. I'd likely even use an adjustable gas block even for a rifle length gas system if I had to use a polymer lower receiver.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In my perosnal experience they aren't worth it. The last gun craze back during the election I bought 3 ati omni lowers. One went to my buddy who did the ffl transfer, my little brother got one, and I took the third. I got mine all put together and on an upper then put it in the safe. A week later, I took it out of the safe to go shoot it and it was broke clean at the extension. Sent it back to ati, they sent me a new one and the threads for the buffer tube were extremely sloppy and the upper I had wouldn't mate to the lower at all. Sent it back then they sent me another one. And if it wasn't my buddy handling the ffl transfers then I would have been out enough money to have gone with a forged or even billet to start with but all I could get at the time was poly. Ended up giving the ati to a friend and my brother and ffl buddy never messed with theirs. After looking on ati's website, they changed the design around some. I don't see any problems building a 22 on a poly lower but I wouldn't stake my life on one. Just my personal experience, and I'm sure there are other manufacturers out there who make a much better product.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought 2 New frontier LW-15 poly lowers for pretty cheap $100 for both. I was thinking of building one as a dedicated .22LR for a beater.
    I was thinking of trading the other for an 80% lower.They reek of cheap & sucky to me.My 2¢

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's partly why I was building the 7.5, what do you keep bedside? I currently have a shotgun leaning up against my corner.
    I've got a 11.5" SBR and a Glock 17 until my VP9 gets here. There's also a Shotgun and a Glock 19 for the wife on her side.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm with Viper, if you already have the poly lower, I'd just shoot the piss out of it, and report back.