Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Have it.
    Unsat re: QD
    Toolless. QD. Keymod. I'm not sure it will get easier than that. How do you like it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNLE3Wt0qXk
    Last edited by Chevtec; 13 October 2014 at 09:53.
    Follow my Facebook page: Chevtec Shooting Solutions, for reviews, how-to guides, and industry news.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A keymod system is just a glorified Troy Alpha rail system, IMO.

As to the M-LOK system, it requires less material, less tooling and less time to machine one than probably a keymod, and definitely a rail with picatinny madness all over it. Less material...less tooling time...less expensive? Nope. Geissele makes them. So they cost MORE than other rails that require more time/material to make. Go figure.

Not saying I wouldn't own one, but either your accessory attachment has to 1, come with M-LOK compatabile mounts or 2, you'll have to procure mounts from ARMS, LaRue, etc at even more cost to you. OR, to sort of slap the face of progress, you'll just end up attaching M-LOK compatible rail sections to the damn thing because ALL of your Steamlights and Surefires and everything else already have a picatinny rail clamp build on to them.

Keymod or M-LOK, I think SLR Rifleworks has the design down pat. Smooth rail with [something] that allows accessory rail attachments but has a 2" rail machined into the rail at front bottom for a bipod. Beautiful. They also make one without machined in rails.

Even though I despise Troy Industries, their alpha rail is hard to beat. I recognize the keymod and M-LOK is designed to allow attachments without removing the handguard, but how frequently are you changing shit?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevtec View Post
    Toolless. QD. Keymod. I'm not sure it will get easier than that. How do you like it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNLE3Wt0qXk
    Mine is nowhere near that easy to turn. That being a "first shot" as well as something that was probably mounted/dismounted several hundred times at the show, it's obviously much looser than the one I have.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Funny, seems this debate is cropping up everywhere lately.

I'm not sure which becomes the standard. I'm certainly happy to see a move away from the cheese grater foreends.

Since I'm a light junkie I'm interested to see what the mounting system from Surefire/Streamlight end up looking like.
    Of course w versatile lights like an X300U not sure of the desire to modify them in a way that makes them AR specific.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I really like ALG's minimalistic approach to the mlok. The only things I would want are a front sight, light, and a grip. Dont need anything else and more rail is just more weight.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another good option for ultra lightweight M-lok is the MI rail.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...tegory_ID=1266

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the bcm kmr rail. Haven't tried an m-lock rail but the kmr is so light and strong I have to recommend it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonScoring View Post
    Another good option for ultra lightweight M-lok is the MI rail.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...tegory_ID=1266
    I sorely wish they would make that top-front rail section a couple of segments longer such that it would fit an X300 and a fold-down front sight. I'd pop on one pretty quick if they did.

that handguard does bring up one other advantage I see for the Keymod right now, and that is whether or not there are any sort of plastic covers for MLOK? I dislike bare metal, and have the Noveske covers on my KMR which I think is a pretty nice combo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I finally got to install my Parallax Tactical M-lok rail this morning. I put 1 metal Magpul section on the bottom for a vertical grip and 1 polymer section on the front left for a light. Both were very easy to install.

Other than the shape of the holes on the handguard, both Keymod and M-lok seem to be equally easy to install. With the M-lok you need to make sure the nuts are turned so they fit in the slots, but you also can drop the rail sections right where you want, rather than slide them to their final resting position.

In the end, I'd say they will both work just fine, be equally easy to use, and eventually have decent accessories. Just a matter of which looks better.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd probably go keymod right now just due to more mounting options due currently.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Saw those on the Magpul website. They look good, though I don't really have the need for any of them. Hopefully it spurs other companies on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    f they come up with some sort of plastic cover, I'd try an MLOK handguard. It's the last thing I think is missing from the roster.

On another note...

Looking at the pics on Soldier Systems made me think of something. Anyone else notice that quite a few companies MLOK and Keymod handguards are really just variations on their existing products? They are either quad-rail handguards with the rails machined off (or, blanked off in the extrusion) which still gives you the T-shape, or they are smooth-side handguards that simply have the new system machined into them in place of the previous slots/holes.

Notable exceptions on the Keymod side would appear to be the BCM KMR, Noveske NSR, and KAC URX4, all of which share a very similar profile.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did notice that the Geissele Mk8 looks remarkably like my Mk4. So much that I may try an M-lok rail section on my Mk4. I was able to use a standard Magpul MOE rail section to attach a vertical grip.

I'm guessing it didn't take much to change the Mk4 to a Mk8.

As for Keymod, you can add th lightweight Parallax Tactical rail to the list of similar looking rails.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Magpul is going to release 5 more M-LOK accessories next week and then 4 more items prior to SHOT. From what I've gathered on other sites a handstop, AFG and some sort of rail covers are coming. I think it's safe to assume that Magpul will be porting all of their accessories to M-LOK.

I've had both systems and prefer M-LOK for the reversible accessories and aesthetics.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4