Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In case anyone missed it, last Thursday Magpul released more M-LOK accessories but nothing all that exciting. Some more rail sections, another cantilever mount, MOE adapters and mounting hardware.

More items to come before the end of the year.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Downloads
    Uploads
    Saw pics on facebook from magpul for an MP-5 M-lok handguard.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Keep in mind that both Keymod and MLOK were designed as systems for warehouse shelving. The concepts were then ported to handguards and some other applications. MLOK is the successor to the Keymod shelving. Though I can see an advantage to having either on a handguard, most items for attaching to guns are still rail attached. it would be nice to see things like foregrips made with keymod or MLOK attachments so that there wouldn't need to be a rail section used. I'm sure they'll come out eventually as maybe will things like bipods or bipod mounts, light mounts and perhaps lasers.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    Keep in mind that both Keymod and MLOK were designed as systems for warehouse shelving. The concepts were then ported to handguards and some other applications. MLOK is the successor to the Keymod shelving. Though I can see an advantage to having either on a handguard, most items for attaching to guns are still rail attached. it would be nice to see things like foregrips made with keymod or MLOK attachments so that there wouldn't need to be a rail section used. I'm sure they'll come out eventually as maybe will things like bipods or bipod mounts, light mounts and perhaps lasers.
    Sort of.

I'm still a fan of picatinny rails, by and large. But you missed a step. Over the last several years there has been a move to tubular, slick-sided handguards. The thinking went that they allowed you to place a rail section only where you needed it while maintaining a narrower overall grip without the need for covers to protect one from the sharp edges of the pic rail. Installation "wherever you want" turned out to be less than promised, as the backing nuts required to attach these rail sections could be difficult to get into place, and often obstructed by things like gas blocks and gas tubes under the handguard. So, along comes two systems for attaching rail sections with captive nuts to make the installation easier. As a side benefit, some accessories like a VFG could be attached directly to the new system(s). Additionally, the promise of not needing covers for sharp edges may have been true, but many people (myself included) heated up these tubes enough to be uncomfortable. The new system(s) allow covers to be installed direct-attach as well.

And, just so you know, there are at least two Keymod VFGs out there now, and one MLOK VFG. The latter was what pushed me over the edge, along with the promise of covers, to buy a Keymod handguard, and more recently to try an MLOK handguard.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like picatinny rails also. I can see some advantage to Keymod and Mlok systems as well though.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ive got the quad rails on my AR pistol and blackout rifle. My long range AR has the JP VTAC handguard which is fine for it. i just put a noveske 14.5" keymod upper on my CQB and really like the slim profile it has.

I have started shooting with my forearm extended and thumb over the rail. I dont care for all that heavy stuff on the end of my gun but that's personal preference. If you do want to attach lights, lasers, foregrips etc to it, quad rails are definitely the way to go.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Might try the M-Lok with my next build or the SL hand-guard when it is available in mid-length.. Right now everything else I own is Key-Mod.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've not seen or tried anything M-LOK yet. I'm sure it's a good system too. But I've been running Keymod for a few months now and with Arisakadefense.com coming out with some solid Keymod mounts, there's finally some boost back into the Keymod movement.

All equal though.... the KMR is lighter than anything out there, and as cheap or cheaper than most alternatives. So it does have a couple of advantages in its favor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The one argument I always see people throw around is that M-Lok is cheaper to manufacture. Well...the truth is, not really. If you make handguards, yeah, you save a little bit of machine time because you don't have to run a tool around each slot to do the reverse bevel like KeyMod requires.

As an accessory manufacturer, guess which costs more to make parts for right now? M-Lok. The nuts cost more. The screws are larger, meaning the design of the part has to be different, and generally 10-24 screws cost more than the 8-32 screws used with KeyMod.

Another example:

BCM KMR 13" is $270.

Geissele Mk8 is $300.

It's not an apples to apples comparison since they have different goals in their design, but those two handguards are considered by most to be the "best" of each interface, and the KeyMod handguard costs less.

From a strength perspective, M-Lok has more surface area and is also flat against the back side of the handguard. KeyMod nuts are tapered. If you apply enough force, the KeyMod nut is going to spread the aluminum of the handguard and rip through. I've seen it personally. At the same time, though, it takes a LOT of force to do this, and usually stems from the part not being thought out very well when it was made.

My recommendation? Don't use a vertical fore grip that is only attached with one screw. It's a recipe for damage to your handguard, regardless of the interface.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why compare apples and orangutans when we don't have to?

MI makes a handguard that is available in both MLOK and Keymod, with the MLOK version being less expensive.

MI Lightweight KeyMod Series One Piece Free Float Handguard, 12-inch Rifle $209.95

MI Lightweight M-LOK Series One Piece Free Float Handguard, 12-inch Rifle $189.95

in fact, they make two otherwise identical models. here's the other one.

MI SSK-KeyMod Series One Piece Free Float Handguard, 12-inch Rifle $199.95

MI SSM M-LOK Series One Piece Free Float Handguard, 12-inch Rifle $179.95

Downloads
    Uploads
    rob_s,

I see your MI handguards and raise you SLR handguards:

12" solo lite keymod $204.99 http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?r...&product_id=93

12" solo lite m-lok $214.99 http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?r...product_id=112

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    rob_s,

I see your MI handguards and raise you SLR handguards:

12" solo lite keymod $204.99 http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?r...&product_id=93

12" solo lite m-lok $214.99 http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?r...product_id=112
    No.

13" SOLO LITE HANDGUARD-MLOK

12" SOLO LITE SERIES KEYMOD HANDGUARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    No.

13" SOLO LITE HANDGUARD-MLOK

12" SOLO LITE SERIES KEYMOD HANDGUARD
    Oops! Copied the wrong one.

But my point still stands. The 12" M-Lok is 209.99, compared to 204.99 for the KeyMod. Same cost increase on most of the other SLR handguards for M-Lok over KeyMod. So there goes your argument, regardless. :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Oops! Copied the wrong one.

But my point still stands. The 12" M-Lok is 209.99, compared to 204.99 for the KeyMod. Same cost increase on most of the other SLR handguards for M-Lok over KeyMod. So there goes your argument, regardless. :)
    and I provided a different option refuting yours that compared two entirely different handguards. Let's call it a wash.

The point here is that it doesn't matter. We're talking about pennies in the grand scheme. it's horseshit. Consumers aren't going to use that as a basis for their choices, I can promise you that. They'll be too busy following whatever celebrity trainer is using whatever part they wanted to like to begin with. The cost only comes into play when we're talking about the crapco market vs. the boutique market, and there's no system that is going to bridge that gap.

Neither system is really fully flushed anyway. Why one company charges more for one system than another may change over time depending on a variety of factors.