Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Newbie question, yes I'll be THAT guy today

Ok, I've done a little searching here but haven't found what I am after. I'm still a little new to the AR-15 game, my experience lies in long range bolt action shooting mostly. I try my best to find answers to my own questions, but sometimes that doesn't work out. Is there a good write up on here that breaks down all the components, what they look like, what they do and what the options are? I have a lower that I won in a local giveaway, and am wanting to build it to really learn the guns and have one of my own, but to be quite honest, some of the lingo is still a foreign language to me. I was hoping there was a thread here or a recommended page that would break it all down.

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate the knowledge

Downloads
    Uploads
    For your first AR-15 I would just go basic and spend the rest of your budget on ammo/optics. Most Mil-spec components from reputable vendors will serve your purpose just fine. Depending on what role you want the rifle to play will determine what kind of barrel setup your going to want. Kind of need more info to recommend anything.

Personally I would look at a PSA CHF upper for a first AR as they are very inexpensive for what you get (450ish if you find them on sale w/ bolt carrier group and charging handle included), you could also look at Aero Precision. If your looking for a bit more quality a tier above that I would say BCM or Daniel Defense. Going above that you would be into the high end component/dollar game and there are tons of options available (Umbrella, Noveske, Larue, Northtech, Rainier, Mega, Adcor, 2A, to name a few.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me, just a target gun, and it will occasionally shoot critters. Something effective out to 200-300 yards primarily. I do want a FDE stock, grip and rail. 16-18 in barrel i am thinking. I shoot lefty so ambi parts on the reciever are a must for me. Safety at the very minimum. I had a discussion on here about a lefty upper, but not sure if its worth it for a first AR. I guess the options for the upper are whats really throwing me. Lots of internal choices, and there are further variances of each. Just a lot to take in. I'm certainly not against an assembled upper, but I'd still like to know/understand what I'm getting. I can't stand not knowing, it's just not me. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    With BCM providing free BCG's with their uppers, I'd look there first. Assembled upper is the only way to go if it's your first. The AR is not a complicated platform, but you will need to spend up to a few hundred dollars on the proper tools if you don't already have them. It's just not cost effective.

Basically any AR will be able to get you hits at 200-300 yards.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a lefty and handle a normal AR just fine without ambi controls. You should pick up a BCM upper since they're coming with a bolt carrier group (BCG). BCM makes some of the best uppers out there. Then pick up a stock kit from BCM also, it comes with a buffer tube, spring, buffer, and end plate. G&R sells triggerless Colt Lower Parts Kit (LPK's) and add an ALG ACT or QMS trigger to that.

I used this in the past when I was completely new to AR's http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/8343/25301.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have not checked out BCM, but will thanks. If nothing else I want the ambi safety so I can flick the safety on and off easily. Out at our farm I can easily set up for 500 yard shots, (600 depending where we have cows turned out) but I don't expect to reach that far with a .223 on a somewhat basic setup. I could be wrong.

Soooo many choices.

Thanks for sharing the link!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    With BCM providing free BCG's with their uppers, I'd look there first. Assembled upper is the only way to go if it's your first. The AR is not a complicated platform, but you will need to spend up to a few hundred dollars on the proper tools if you don't already have them. It's just not cost effective.

Basically any AR will be able to get you hits at 200-300 yards.
    BCM has the best value out there right now, and even though it's your first it's worth spending slightly more to get higher quality. As far as an ambi selector the Battle Arms Development models are hands down the best out there, and they make a short throw model that is a necessary upgrade on all of my rifles. A decent shooter with proper optics should have no issues hitting at 500 with a 16" barrel. A geissele trigger does help of course
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads

Newbie question, yes I'll be THAT guy today

My first AR was built about a month ago. Like you was over whelmed by the options.

I chose to go with BCM for my upper. Top notch, great customer service and the reviews were great. Everything checked out fine .

I went with 16", YHM mid length hand guard and I believe it came out to $588 shipped. Really hard to pass up the deal from everything you get. would not change a thing about the complete upper. I wanted to make this rifle the "do it right the first time" motto (sorta speaking)

Don't rush into it. Map it all out. I had a set price about $850 for my build. I exceeded and built mine for $1429 (including cerakote, optics, etc etc).

What I did was view topics of ARs. Detailed build lists and decided what I want. A lot of companies have deals which will include free shipping, 10% off.. Even discounts on blemished parts (this is where the big savings are at).

How much are you looking to spend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BP_Z28; 14 October 2014 at 11:53.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ^^ I agree 100% I don't mind at all paying a little extra to get it right the first time. I just don't want to unnecessarily overdo it. I'll have plenty of chances to do that later

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KW900A View Post
    I have not checked out BCM, but will thanks. If nothing else I want the ambi safety so I can flick the safety on and off easily. Out at our farm I can easily set up for 500 yard shots, (600 depending where we have cows turned out) but I don't expect to reach that far with a .223 on a somewhat basic setup. I could be wrong.

Soooo many choices.

Thanks for sharing the link!
    You'd be surprised. With the right setup, 500-600yds can produce hits pretty easily. Not saying you'll shoot 1" groups, but hitting a person sized target shouldn't be difficult.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, I've done a little searching here but haven't found what I am after. I'm still a little new to the AR-15 game, my experience lies in long range bolt action shooting mostly. I try my best to find answers to my own questions, but sometimes that doesn't work out. Is there a good write up on here that breaks down all the components, what they look like, what they do and what the options are? I have a lower that I won in a local giveaway, and am wanting to build it to really learn the guns and have one of my own, but to be quite honest, some of the lingo is still a foreign language to me. I was hoping there was a thread here or a recommended page that would break it all down.

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate the knowledge
    KW900A,
    A lot of good advice here as far as your question(s) and your honesty.

Now, a bit off topic, I've never seen anyone on this forum chastised for being a "Newbie" with questions. There has to be at least 1000 man years of experience here, probably much more. But we all started at the same point you are at. Maybe different circumstances, some of us were GI's, some LEO's or private contractors, but none of us were born with the manual up our butts. And you'll not be THAT GUY for being honest and saying "I need a little help here". In fact most people will be eager to help you. You might even get a little information overload.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do want a FDE stock, grip and rail. 16-18 in barrel i am thinking. I shoot lefty so ambi parts on the reciever are a must for me. Safety at the very minimum.
    If you want all that in FDE, Magpul makes some awesome polymer accessories as you've listed (or as we call "furniture"). As VIPER said, Battle Arms Development makes quality ambi safeties. Actually if you go to their website, they also have a special Magpul FDE ambi safety on sale. Also, just to point out, there's 2 types of BAD safeties. One is the traditional one seen on a lot of ARs, the throw is at 90 degrees. The one VIPER mentioned, the short throw, is at 50 degrees.

Also, do you have a stripped (completely bare) lower? Or did it also come with a parts kit or anything like that?

Side note: Do you get the free BCG with a stripped upper? I thought it was with a complete upper.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok first off thanks FortTom... I was not really concerned about being chastised, but have no issues laughing at myself when I am presumably in a room full of people with more knowledge than me on this topic. But everyone I have encountered here has been courteous and helpful, I hope to learn more and no doubt will have more questions. I'm just a hobbyist...

To answer a couple of questions... My lower is a stripped DSA multi caliber.

I'm trying to keep this around the $1000 mark

I will do some more research on the recent suggestions... I honestly had no idea this many reputable companies were in this market, and its good to be around people in the know. Thanks again!

Downloads
    Uploads
    With prices the way they are right now,

I'd just put the DSA lower on the shelf and buy a Colt 6920 or a 6720.

If you insist on building the lower, I'd go with the mentioned BCM upper.

I guarantee this won't be your last AR purchase. Just get a good baseline rifle and shoot the piss out of it. Then decide what you really need. I keep saying this over and over to save the new shooters to this platform money.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess you make a good point. K.I.S.S. until I figure out what I like. Really hadn't considered that.

Side note... I do love my .308's and at some point intend to build a kickass one as well