Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Check your local Wal-Mart for Colts. Mine a couple of months back had a 6920 Magpul edition for I think $850.
    They still sell AR-15s at such a disgusting establishment such as that? I thought they said they were removing them from inventory after Newtown?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by southernborne View Post
    Theres some realy good advise here, only wish I would have joined sooner... I bought a Seekins gen2 upper & lower and at the risk of sounding silly, Where do you get the screw in pins?
    Trigger pins? Made by KNS precision. Almost any online retailer should sell them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll weigh in on this for you.

First the basics. The AR 15/ M16 is a very simple design. For the commercial AR basic civilian rifle there are less than around 100 parts and most of them are in the lower receiver.

Here's a direct link to an exploded AR15 diagram. http://gunpartsplus.com/ar-15-diagram/

Now, how does it work? Well, that's pretty simple. First, think of a traditional bolt action, magazine fed rifle. You pull the bolt back, a spring pushes up a cartridge, you close the bolt and fire the rifle. The action of opening the bolt cocks the hammer of the rifle. Lever action, tube fed rifles do the same thing. The tube is the magazine.

The AR uses that very same feeding mechanism. The bolt is pulled back by a handle called the charging handle. When you pull the bolt back, it comes back against the buffer and buffer spring that are in a tube in the stock. That spring pushes the bolt forward and feeds the cartridge that came up from the magazine (pushed up by the spring in the magazine) into the chamber of the barrel. Pulling the bolt back also cocks the hammer in the lower receiver. The safety is simply a small lever that when rotated to safe blocks the hammer from falling. Just like in most any other rifle.

So, if you're with me so far, here's how the semi automatic function works. If you look at the exploded diagram, you'll see a tube along the top of the barrel. There is a small hole on the top of the barrel. The front sight of the original AR15/M16 has a hole that mates to the hole at the top of the barrel and is a block of metal with a hole for that tube along the top of the barrel. There is a 90 degree mating for the hole for the tube and the hole that mates to the hole at the top of the barrel. That tube mates to a small tube on the top of the bolt at the other end of it. When the rifle is fired, expanding gasses from the firing of the cartridge go up the hole at the top of the barrel, into the tube and back to the bolt forcing the bolt backwards. Some of the gasses from firing the cartridge are now doing what was the manual job of pulling the bolt back to load a cartridge. The small spring loaded clamp that clips onto the cartridge on the bolt pulls the empty casing out, releases as the bolt comes back spitting the empty cartridge our the ejection port, the bolt keeps going back from the pressure of the gasses against the buffer and spring in the stock and as it passes back past the magazine, a new cartridge comes up pushed by the spring in the magazine. The spring in the stock pushes the bolt forwards again and the new cartridge is pushed into the chamber and the rifle is ready to fire again because as the bolt came backwards the hammer was cocked again.

That's it in a nutshell.

So, the semi auto function is very simple and easy to understand. For military weapons with 3 round burst and fully automatic functions the differences are with the trigger assembly. The 3 round burst mode uses a cam that rotates and automatically allows the hammer to fall for 3 positions with one full rotation of the cam. After the 3rd time the hammer falls it requires the trigger to be pulled again for the rotation to start again.

The best way to understand how the rifle works and see how the parts all go together is really to build one. Install the lower parts kit and you'll understand what the small springs and detents are used for as well as the pins. Watch some of the youtube videos on how to put it together. It's so easy that really a 10 or 12 year old can do it. If you have more questions, feel free to ask them. There really is no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to someone asking 'how to do' something providing that they are asking the question honestly.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    . It's so easy that really a 10 or 12 year old can do it. If you have more questions, feel free to ask them. There really is no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to someone asking 'how to do' something providing that they are asking the question honestly.
    Especially because you don't want to end up messing up the assembly process and causing your rifle not to work, or in worser cases - damage the rifle or even injure yourself (ie: improper headspacing). If I understand this correctly, basically this means that the distance from the chamber to the bolt face is out of the acceptable range -(for example) which means that if the bolt is not fully locked in place, it can cause an out of battery discharge. What this means is that the bolt can prematurely unlock due to the extremely high chamber pressure - and essentially give you a bad day.

... not to divert the thread too much, but how does the 3 round burst work? I've still been trying to figure it out. I know how FA/RDIAS works - just not the mechanism for burst.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for that link WHSmith

Considering what Thompson said... For a novice such as myself, is it easy to screw something up in the lower assembly and unknowingly put myself in a position for a bad day? I'm a very mechanically detail oriented person because of my job, and I love just knowing the mechanics of anything. But we all can make mistakes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KW900A View Post
    Ok, I've done a little searching here but haven't found what I am after. I'm still a little new to the AR-15 game, my experience lies in long range bolt action shooting mostly. I try my best to find answers to my own questions, but sometimes that doesn't work out. Is there a good write up on here that breaks down all the components, what they look like, what they do and what the options are? I have a lower that I won in a local giveaway, and am wanting to build it to really learn the guns and have one of my own, but to be quite honest, some of the lingo is still a foreign language to me. I was hoping there was a thread here or a recommended page that would break it all down.

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate the knowledge

I am finishing my first build this week some time. I was in your shoes not long ago.

I will do my best to help steer you. From noob to noob I can say I have learned a whole lot by putting one together from scratch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I am finishing my first build this week some time. I was in your shoes not long ago.

I will do my best to help steer you. From noob to noob I can say I have learned a whole lot by putting one together from scratch.
    Thanks, never hurts to have help! With the holidays coming, my gun spending on this subject is taking a hit. But I've read, and read. I think I have followed up on every link/product/company/retailer mentioned in this thread (some multiple times) and created quite a list of bookmarks. Good thing research is free... Cruising around this forum and learning is a pretty fun time!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I think I'm going with UWone77's advice that was agreed upon by many, and makes sense. The local co-op runs 0% 12 month financing through the end of the year. I was in there yesterday pistol shopping, and noticed they had a lot of AR's for $600-$800, I think I will head back up there when I get time and check them out and take advantage of the offer and get my foot in the door with the AR platform. I didn't pay much attention the the brands they had, since I was on a mission yesterday. Are there any brands out there I should avoid or be leery of?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I think I'm going with UWone77's advice that was agreed upon by many, and makes sense. The local co-op runs 0% 12 month financing through the end of the year. I was in there yesterday pistol shopping, and noticed they had a lot of AR's for $600-$800, I think I will head back up there when I get time and check them out and take advantage of the offer and get my foot in the door with the AR platform. I didn't pay much attention the the brands they had, since I was on a mission yesterday. Are there any brands out there I should avoid or be leery of?
    I'd just take a mental note of what brands they have and come back and let us know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I'd just take a mental note of what brands they have and come back and let us know.
    Will do, wish I had more time yesterday, but had a schedule to keep. Hopefully I'll be able to make it back over next week.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have not checked out BCM, but will thanks. If nothing else I want the ambi safety so I can flick the safety on and off easily. Out at our farm I can easily set up for 500 yard shots, (600 depending where we have cows turned out) but I don't expect to reach that far with a .223 on a somewhat basic setup. I could be wrong.

Soooo many choices.

Thanks for sharing the link!

Unless you're a lefty, the ambi safety is the most worthless mod you can do. You'll simply never use it. It does look "tacticool" though!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    Unless you're a lefty, the ambi safety is the most worthless mod you can do. You'll simply never use it. It does look "tacticool" though!

I am a righty and I used the poop out of my ambi. Its how you train with your tools on if you use them to the fullest or not at all. Took me about 4 months of forcing myself to use it, now I don't even think about it and use it all the time.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Where can I find a good LPK with an ambi safety?

Still haven't had a chance to go look at the off the shelf guns I was talking about. Pretty much been working and sleeping for theist two weeks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Where can I find a good LPK with an ambi safety?

Still haven't had a chance to go look at the off the shelf guns I was talking about. Pretty much been working and sleeping for theist two weeks.
    Ironworks tactical has the build your own LPK. They allow you to leave out the extra parts you'll never use and add the extras you want like ambi controls, triggers and so forth.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not sure if the company sells their safeties with a LPK, but if you're willing to fork over some dough for a nice ambi safety - check out Battle Arms Development.