Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KW900A View Post
    Ok thanks, I was under the impression their stuff was better quality than that. Ill keep looking, or just buy a gun off the shelf.

Thought I was onto something. Oh well...
    I don't own any PSA or PTAC components, and I am a little cautious of the PTAC line in general, but the PSA "premium" stuff has a pretty good reputation on the interwebs and I would seriously consider them for a budget build. This isn't a recommendation, per se, but this is essentially the same but from their Premium line and costs a little more (by virtue that no BCG is included):

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ng-handle.html

All the money for the upper receiver group generally goes into the barrel and handguards. The PSA premium barrels are made by FN and on the above models you are saving costs by sticking with cheap handguards which means the price seems good, but not "too good to be true".

But, if I was going to buy that, I'd seriously consider shelling out the extra for the BCM, which comes with a free BCM BCG right now (a promo) which is second to none (according to internet lore...I don't have one):

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...urg-mid-16.htm

None of the cool kids at the range will ever knock you for owning a Bravo Company upper.

Just one man's opinion...

Downloads
    Uploads
    "All the money for the upper receiver group generally goes into the barrel and handguards" That seems to have become the new standard. The barrel and BCG are the heart and soul of the rifle and is the one area where people should put their money into. I agree with the barrel part but the "handgaurd" should be secondary to a high quality BCG. IMO, Function and reliability should far out weigh aesthetics.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I agree with the barrel part but the "handgaurd" should be secondary to a high quality BCG. IMO, Function and reliability should far out weigh aesthetics.
    I agree with your prioritization, it's just that you can get a quality BCG for less money than a cheap free float handguard (at least right now!)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would not buy PSA products unless you actually know what you're looking at. To someone new to the AR market, all the terminology they use can be confusing. From their Premium, standard, and PTAC lines. You can't assume they use FN barrels for all of their guns, because they don't. Sometimes, it's hard to figure out what you're getting until it arrives. The PTAC line is their buget line, for $299 you're just rolling the dice. Who knows what you're getting. You might get lucky, and get one with no issues, but in this day and age in the AR world, no reason not to go with something that's a known quality. Such as the BCM upper, who are still offering free BCG's with a purchase of an upper.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ^This^

BCM is still offering free a BCG with the purchase of an upper. And if you get a 16" upper you also get a BCM MOD 0 compensator free.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I would not buy PSA products unless you actually know what you're looking at. To someone new to the AR market, all the terminology they use can be confusing. From their Premium, standard, and PTAC lines. You can't assume they use FN barrels for all of their guns, because they don't. Sometimes, it's hard to figure out what you're getting until it arrives. The PTAC line is their buget line, for $299 you're just rolling the dice. Who knows what you're getting. You might get lucky, and get one with no issues, but in this day and age in the AR world, no reason not to go with something that's a known quality. Such as the BCM upper, who are still offering free BCG's with a purchase of an upper.

I see, makes sense. I was thinking $300 was too good to be true, but you make a good point.

The bad thing (for me) is BCM gives you alot of options when you select an upper. It's a little intimidating, because looking at the upgrades... Me being a greenhorn, I don't always know IF I should upgrade or WHAT to upgrade to. Plus I hate bombarding you all with a bunch of how about this how about that questions. I was with a friend last night and we were watching the playoffs and 'shopping', he also is very fond of the BCM upper assemblies.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What length barrel are you looking at?

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is the upper I recommended to a friend of mine.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...6elw-kmr13.htm
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    What length barrel are you looking at?
    16"

I want to go with a simple open sight platform to get familiar with the whole thing. That way I can get more involved on the 2nd

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like that one gost

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm civilian as can be so some of these other guys may have better info than me, but I don't think you can wrong with BCM. I run a lot of their parts and have great luck with their stuff. Their customer service is also great. That upper's balance makes it's swing weight feel a lot like a 14.5" upper, and if you built it yourself it would run almost a $1000.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    During the BCM sale, I bought a stripped 11.5" upper and that same KMR upper, but in 14.5" Flavor.

I like BCM's standard barrel offerings vs their hammer forged as I think the price point is better with the standard barrels as well as the fact, when's the last time you shot out a barrel?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use their hammer forged barrels, but I doubt the chrome lining knows whether or not the steel underneath it is hammer forged or not.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    What's the advantage to chrome lining? Is it designed for higher use?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The chrome lining is harder than the steel underneath, which helps increase barrel life. It's also more corrosion resistant and easier to clean. Some say that a chrome lined barrel is not as accurate, but I've got some that are sub-MOA with match ammo.
    flickr
    facebook