Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    During the BCM sale, I bought a stripped 11.5" upper and that same KMR upper, but in 14.5" Flavor.

I like BCM's standard barrel offerings vs their hammer forged as I think the price point is better with the standard barrels as well as the fact, when's the last time you shot out a barrel?
    I agree with this, and I own 2 BCM BFH barrels. From now on I'll be buying BCM's ELW regular barrels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So I'm still poking around, looking at this and that.

I am operating on a little tighter budget than I was before. I found out right before Christmas that my wife is pregnant. Currently about 9 weeks in, due in August. This will be our first, so I have the, I assume normal, 'holy crap, I hope we can do this' thoughts running through my head. Despite the fact we decided to start trying, it still surprised me when it became real.

So anyway, that's my update. Back on topic. I just felt scaling back the money invested in my hobbies would be a good idea. But I am dying to get this first build moving again, I'm just an indecisive person. BCM is looking good, I have also looked at RRA, my brother in law has a RRA rifle and is very pleased with it. I also have done some reading on the radical arms upper assemblies that primary arms is dealing in. They are definitely budget minded, without a charging handle and BCG. But seem to be pretty well recieved on ar15.com. I'm not a member there, but google must be because it takes me there alot. Anyone here know anything about them?

If it wasn't for this news, I may have bought a colt off the shelf or something similar like was suggested. Buys its easier on my conscience to break the spending up some. Plus I get to learn the inner workings of the platform. So that in itself is a win for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you plan to cut your hobby budget, and you may not get another rifle or build anything in the near future, I think that's all the more reason to get a BCM.

BCM makes quality stuff, and it will serve you well, whether you take training classes, or just plink on the weekends. It would also be one of my top choices for home defense.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    If you plan to cut your hobby budget, and you may not get another rifle or build anything in the near future, I think that's all the more reason to get a BCM.

BCM makes quality stuff, and it will serve you well, whether you take training classes, or just plink on the weekends. It would also be one of my top choices for home defense.

Everyone here really talks up BCM, and it is hard to ignore. Let me ask you this, with the front sight mounted with the gas block on the BCM uppers I have been looking at and shown, can a different rail be put on later, such as a floating rail. Or will the block, sight and tube interfere with a later change? i know some rails are 2 piece, but many aren't. I have considered purchasing one without a rail, IF its something that can be changed later.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KW900A View Post
    Everyone here really talks up BCM, and it is hard to ignore. Let me ask you this, with the front sight mounted with the gas block on the BCM uppers I have been looking at and shown, can a different rail be put on later, such as a floating rail. Or will the block, sight and tube interfere with a later change? i know some rails are 2 piece, but many aren't. I have considered purchasing one without a rail, IF its something that can be changed later.
    Sure, especially for a guy like you that wants to know how his gun works.

You can either shave down the front sight post, or you can just remove it and install a low profile gas block in its place.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, wasn't sure if that was a permanent install or not. So I could put a low profile block on and then move to a longer rail even at some point then, and then mount a different front sight?

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...urg-mid-16.htm <--- going with this one

https://www.primaryarms.com/Troy_Ind...rf-d9ft-00.htm <--- This is a 9" mid length drop in rail, am I missing anything there, or is it truly a drop in that I can install easily?

When I select a CH, what sets them apart?

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...urg-mid-16.htm <--- going with this one

https://www.primaryarms.com/Troy_Ind...rf-d9ft-00.htm <--- This is a 9" mid length drop in rail, am I missing anything there, or is it truly a drop in that I can install easily?

When I select a CH, what sets them apart?
    Honestly, I'd select one of the options for handguards/rails. Price is as good as buying off the street. Get the Magpul as a basic starting point for $26.95 and you can add accessory rails to it. As for charging handles, the higher the number, the smaller the release latch. I'm personally not a fan of anything bigger than the Mod 4. The Mod 5 is fairly small, close to a mil-spec latch, but nicer and more comfy on your fingers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will likely to start. Just thinking more for down the road.

Thanks for the CH input

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will likely to start. Just thinking more for down the road.

Thanks for the CH input
    It's no secret I am a fan of Midwest Industries products. They've always shipped promptly, answered any and all questions I bother them with on the phone, and have provided the best customer service I've encountered in my AR related dealings. You can go with any of their drop-in rail products and I'm sure you would be very happy with them. I put their SS Series on my AR pistol and the fit and finish are excellent. I've used the Gen 2 SS free float rails in various lengths on at least half a dozen other builds and been very happy with them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, I'm looking at the magpul CTR stock, it says 'carbine' and also has mil and commercial spec, the description is a bit over my head. Will one of those work with the BCM 16" mid length upper?

http://store.magpul.com/category/83

Also looking at the CMMG LPK with the ambi safety, $85 dollars, I feel pretty good with them as the local shop deals almost solely in CMMG LPK's and consequently most of the guys I know here have CMMG LPK's and are happy with them

http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/55ca6b8.htm

*Edit looks like it depends on buffer tube, which I thought came with the stock, i think thats what was throwing me
    Last edited by KW900A; 9 January 2015 at 08:51.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, I'm looking at the magpul CTR stock, it says 'carbine' and also has mil and commercial spec, the description is a bit over my head. Will one of those work with the BCM 16" mid length upper?

http://store.magpul.com/category/83

Also looking at the CMMG LPK with the ambi safety, $85 dollars, I feel pretty good with them as the local shop deals almost solely in CMMG LPK's and consequently most of the guys I know here have CMMG LPK's and are happy with them

http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/55ca6b8.htm

*Edit looks like it depends on buffer tube, which I thought came with the stock, i think thats what was throwing me
    Yeah, I imagine you'll go with a quality Receiver Extension kit in Milspec. Make sure it's actually milspec, and not just milspec in dimension. I like the Rainier Arms kits as they come with 7075 receiver extensions, and H Buffers:

http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-a...upon-code-sale

I like Weapon Outfitters LPK's, especially if you're going to add your own trigger. You can save some money by getting a LPK without a trigger. WO's LPK's are fully customizable as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was planning to go for a good mil spec tube. The aggravating thing currently, yesterday I was looking at stocks on brownells, and they have a sweet deal on a full magpul furniture kit in FDE for $90, but are out of stock on mil spec. So I'm going to have to do some more looking to see if I can find a similar deal.

I'm finally getting my finishing touches down an will probably start a build thread to post my progress soon!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was planning to go for a good mil spec tube. The aggravating thing currently, yesterday I was looking at stocks on brownells, and they have a sweet deal on a full magpul furniture kit in FDE for $90, but are out of stock on mil spec. So I'm going to have to do some more looking to see if I can find a similar deal.

I'm finally getting my finishing touches down an will probably start a build thread to post my progress soon!
    The main difference between the mil-spec and commercial buffer tubes from a function standpoint is the diameter. Commercial is a little larger diameter, therefore mil-spec stock don't fit, and a commercial spec stock will be sloppy on a mil-spec buffer tube. Some commercial tubes have sloped back ends as well, to help tell them apart. Drill further down, you get into material types, etc., but that's getting into deeper discussion. For a casual shooter, I doubt they will ever notice the difference or experience a problem between a 7075 alloy versus a 6061 alloy tube.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    The main difference between the mil-spec and commercial buffer tubes from a function standpoint is the diameter. Commercial is a little larger diameter, therefore mil-spec stock don't fit, and a commercial spec stock will be sloppy on a mil-spec buffer tube. Some commercial tubes have sloped back ends as well, to help tell them apart. Drill further down, you get into material types, etc., but that's getting into deeper discussion. For a casual shooter, I doubt they will ever notice the difference or experience a problem between a 7075 alloy versus a 6061 alloy tube.
    Until you mortar your gun, and your tube breaks. Happens more often than you would think. Especially, those that put out tubes in milspec diameter only... what other corners did they cut?