Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Which BCG?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just bought a Mil-Spec BCG with no funky logo's that has an individually MPI/HPT bolt, etc. from an FN contract over-run for $135 shipped. I'll stick with mil-spec.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    During the next panic, I'm anxiously awaiting threads that go from "which BCG" to "Any BCG"

Remember to stock up now boys... those $99 BCGs won't last forever... and grab a few BCM's while you're at it.
    buy Colt instead of BCM. They are what sold the highest last go, by a long shot. $199 vs. $160, right now. You will get a lot more for your $39 margin.

Personally, I just bought a Colt BCG, and am not impressed. I will T&E it along side of the $125 BCG that I bought from an FN contract over-run. I bet I like the contract over-run BCG more.

That being said, when it comes time to sell during a crunch, "C" and "MPC" stamps are going to be worth $100 more than anything else.

Downloads
    Uploads
    During the next panic, I'm anxiously awaiting threads that go from "which BCG" to "Any BCG"

Remember to stock up now boys... those $99 BCGs won't last forever... and grab a few BCM's while you're at it.
    Spoken like a man who's been thru a panic or two

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    buy Colt instead of BCM. They are what sold the highest last go, by a long shot. $199 vs. $160, right now. You will get a lot more for your $39 margin.

Personally, I just bought a Colt BCG, and am not impressed. I will T&E it along side of the $125 BCG that I bought from an FN contract over-run. I bet I like the contract over-run BCG more.

That being said, when it comes time to sell during a crunch, "C" and "MPC" stamps are going to be worth $100 more than anything else.
    Someone on m4c was selling Colt products pretty regularly for retail prices. After the panic hit, I recall he was selling Colt BCG's for $500. So with that, I think you're right. If you're looking to cash in on the next panic, Colt products is where it's at!

Downloads
    Uploads

Agreed, Colt bolts and BCGs were going for crazy prices during the last panic, as were BCM's.

To your comments in Bold. I don't see how you could tell a difference between a true FN gov. contract over-run BCG and a Colt. I have a true FN BCG in one of my of my rifles, and other than the "F" on the carrier versus the "C", and the "MPF" vs. "MPC" markings on the Bolt, they look and operate identically. So, I'm having a hard time understanding how you can like one more than the other, when they are nearly identical in design, machining, and materials.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Will@AR15Hunter View Post
    Agreed, Colt bolts and BCGs were going for crazy prices during the last panic, as were BCM's.

To your comments in Bold. I don't see how you could tell a difference between a true FN gov. contract over-run BCG and a Colt. I have a true FN BCG in one of my of my rifles, and other than the "F" on the carrier versus the "C", and the "MPF" vs. "MPC" markings on the Bolt, they look and operate identically. So, I'm having a hard time understanding how you can like one more than the other, when they are nearly identical in design, machining, and materials.
    I am just going by what the vendor told me, however, I have noticed some discrepancies between this "contract" BCG, and what an actual mil-spec BCG is, regarding some of the small parts. Beveled ejector pin, little things like that.

Gotta say, I am sticking with my Colt BCG's when it counts, and for resale. They won the PiP for a reason a year or two ago. I've tried most BCG concepts out there, and keep coming back to a quality milspec BCG.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am just going by what the vendor told me, however, I have noticed some discrepancies between this "contract" BCG, and what an actual mil-spec BCG is, regarding some of the small parts. Beveled ejector pin, little things like that.

Gotta say, I am sticking with my Colt BCG's when it counts, and for resale. They won the PiP for a reason a year or two ago. I've tried most BCG concepts out there, and keep coming back to a quality milspec BCG.
    Gotcha. I was just curious.

I too stick with Colt BCGs when I can get them at a reasonable price, otherwise I grab BCMs. I just got my first White Oak bolt this week, as it was $35 cheaper than the BCM (I was on a strict budget with this upper). It's MPI tested, and White Oak has a great rep. I'm going to throw it in a Colt carrier and see how it does.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I have Spikes, Fail Zero, BCM and Raineer Arms, The Raineer arms has been the only one to fail me yet. For a break in, it was well lubed, and seeing how Ni(B) the nickel in the mix will turn blueish purple, just like chrome pipes on a bike, mine looked completely black over half of the bolt. It also sticks, and I've put others in to see if the same conditions occurred in the same gun. The Ranieer Arms (at least the one I got, is going in the garbage, and I will be purchasing another Spikes or Fail Zero. I don't know who makes theirs (RA's) but mines a piece of crap. I'm not going to do a back and forth email campaign, sending it back for inspection or whatever. It just isn't worth my time or effort. My modus operandi, unless it's something very expensive, is just live and learn and don't buy from there again.

Now, I may be the only person on this forum that that has happened too. But with today's quality control engineers, and numerous testing, rigorous SPC, etc, it should have never got out of the plant. Your experience may be just fine. They (RA) are known for their quality parts, so make of it what you will.

FT
    Man do I not like hearing that! I hope mine doesn't end up like yours! Mine is taking on a black tone. I never knew it should take on a blue tone. I hope its not a sign! The gas rings look a tad more expanded than on my Noveske bolt and is a bit tight. Doesn't seem to stick though.

I hope you got it sorted with UWone77.
    Last edited by Aberration79; 23 December 2014 at 22:51.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration79 View Post
    Man do I not like hearing that! I hope mine doesn't end up like yours! Mine is taking on a black tone. I never knew it should take on a blue tone. I hope its not a sign! The gas rings look a tad more expanded than on my Noveske bolt and is a bit tight. Doesn't seem to stick though.

I hope you got it sorted with UWone77.
    I've given FT my address to ship the BCG to, so I could personally have RA look it over and replace, refund, ect.

I have yet to see it in the mail.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've given FT my address to ship the BCG to, so I could personally have RA look it over and replace, refund, ect.

I have yet to see it in the mail.
    Yes you did. I did appreciate it, but some time went by and I really didn't want to jerk around with it. The finish on the bolt was cooked, black and flaking. The gas rings looked screwed up too which I am guessing is what was causing the sticking. They were staggered, so I'm thinking that wasn't causing the gas "blow by". The Carrier looked fine though, so I put it up in the pay it forward area, and it was claimed in seconds. Replaced the whole thing with a Fail Zero BCG. Not a big deal. I just wanted the gun up and running, as it's one of my "go to" favorites.
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Yes you did. I did appreciate it, but some time went by and I really didn't want to jerk around with it. The finish on the bolt was cooked, black and flaking. The gas rings looked screwed up too which I am guessing is what was causing the sticking. They were staggered, so I'm thinking that wasn't causing the gas "blow by". The Carrier looked fine though, so I put it up in the pay it forward area, and it was claimed in seconds. Replaced the whole thing with a Fail Zero BCG. Not a big deal. I just wanted the gun up and running, as it's one of my "go to" favorites.
    You should have just sent me the bolt then.

Honestly, you really don't have a gripe, if you never gave RA the chance to fix whatever issues there may have been. Just sayin.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You should have just sent me the bolt then.

Honestly, you really don't have a gripe, if you never gave RA the chance to fix whatever issues there may have been. Just sayin.
    I'm not griping...just saying. I do have a firing pin, and stripping the extractor, pin, etc. for emergency parts.
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I spend good money on something and there's a problem with it and the vendor will take care of it, that's the route I'll take. I'm just funny like that...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    If I spend good money on something and there's a problem with it and the vendor will take care of it, that's the route I'll take. I'm just funny like that...
    Again, I'm not griping...I'm just funny like that....
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ordered my Fathom BCG tonight can't wait to run it