Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
    Comp, did you miss the "terminal ballsitics part? 5.56 isnt the right cartridge for 1000 yards, unless all you want to drill a .22 caliber hole in meat. If you want to ring steel at that range, fine - but this reticle clearly isn't designed for the paper-punching crowd.

Voodoo......I'm fine with 1-4 or 1-6 optics.....in fact it's they are my favorite scopes for the AR. And I agree about discrimination. But the PA reticle is specifically designed for ranging (based on a human sized/shaped object) and BDC out to 800 yards - I just don't see justification for me (as a civilian) to ever pull the trigger on a human at that range. If you have different needs, maybe this scope as designed would be great for you - its just not, as I say, on MY buy list.
    I get where you're coming from, but who's to say you're not going to pull the trigger on a steel plate that's roughly 18" wide at an unknown yardage. Granted most targets are at a known yardage I think this reticle can apply to more than just human targets. I'm not saying there aren't better options out there, but at this price I don't think it's a bad option. Everyone has their ideas of what works for them and what doesn't, I honestly thought this was a bit cluttered when I saw digitally rendered illustrations of it, but looking down the tube I think it will serve well, especially in the 100-400 yard range, where I'll be using it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Voodoo......I'm fine with 1-4 or 1-6 optics.....in fact it's they are my favorite scopes for the AR. And I agree about discrimination. But the PA reticle is specifically designed for ranging (based on a human sized/shaped object) and BDC out to 800 yards - I just don't see justification for me (as a civilian) to ever pull the trigger on a human at that range. If you have different needs, maybe this scope as designed would be great for you - its just not, as I say, on MY buy list.
    My point was that there is no "legal" standard for distance of a "defensive" shooting. It does not have to be you that is in danger, per say. There is an article somewhere on the interwebs about a guy hitting another guy who was shooting at a LEO with a revolver at something like 150y+ Justified? Totally. Would I take a 150y shot with a revolver? FUCK no. (caps for emphasis) Would I take that same shot with an AR with a 1-4, 1-6 or 1-8? All day and twice on Sunday. It is all about reasonableness of action. As a "civilian" you are just as allowed to put people down as I am (as LE). The only difference is I go looking for the fight, where you might stumble across it. If you see someone getting shot at, civilian, LE or otherwise, and you have a clear shot at a random distance you know for a fact you can make accurate hits at with the platform you have available to you at that moment, especially if you fear for the safety of others (especially the LEO's or other citizens in the area that may be under fire and/or injured), take the shot. The "combat" of the PA's 1-6x reticle helps out in this distance guessing game.

I know we are going a little off topic here, but I would suggest to anyone that is willing to find themselves a good rifle that is dependable and a good optic (possibly the PA 1-6x) and vet it on the range. Keep it with you as much as possible because you may be the first person on a scene that requires immediate use of deadly force in order to save lives. I had this convo before with a few people and the consensus was that if the N. Hollywood Shootout occurred today, and if LE was unprepared as they were for the original event, depending on the locale the robbers might be screwed because of the citizens in that respective area might be able to take action faster and more accurately than LE would have. Imagine something like this occurs outside of your house (like it did in Canada with those 3 Mounties getting killed) You have a rifle within a brisk walk or arm's reach and a clear shot, who wouldn't get in the fight?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Comp, did you miss the "terminal ballsitics part? 5.56 isnt the right cartridge for 1000 yards, unless all you want to drill a .22 caliber hole in meat. If you want to ring steel at that range, fine - but this reticle clearly isn't designed for the paper-punching crowd.
    I did read what you wrote. If a person can ring still consistently at 1k yards and then take it out to 1700+ yards and hit steel. I am pretty sure you nor I would like the be the person at 600-800 yards getting hit with the same bullet. Is it ideal? Probably not but it still works at those distances. Could I do it? Right now I probably couldn't hit a target consistently at 600-800 yards but if I took the time to learn how to do it I would have no problems doing it.

The ballistics of rounds now days isn't the same as when the round was first created. Times have changed and the round has changed with it. Goes back to the same with 9mm vs .40 vs .45, back in the day the .45 was king of the hill because it had "knockdown power" as I remember it being told to me. With modern ballistics the 9mm is just as deadly as a .45. The newer rounds for .223 with newer powders and improved barrel materials are far superior to the rounds and rifles used in the Vietnam era.

To get back on topic the reticle might not be designed for the paper punchers but the AR platform isn't limted to 5.56/.223 either. To make a optic targeted for a specific round is designing yourself out of business.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Teaser til I get time to mess with the camera.

Should've bought the aero SPR mount instead of just the extended. The mount is on the front most rail slot on the upper, scope slid back to all the way against the adjustment portion with the front ring. The scope sits just in the right position above the charging handle. Also, the more I look at this stock, the more the regular a2 grows on me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a heads up, AIM surplus has 92 of these scopes in stock as of this posting..Same price i believe $270 shipped...

Sorry ride..figured others that missed out might want to know..

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...e&groupid=1058

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Just a heads up, AIM surplus has 92 of these scopes in stock as of this posting..Same price i believe $270 shipped...

Why must you tempt me so! I have more Optics than I do rifles

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post

No skin off my ass. Just a warning to anyone who also wants an Aero mount, buy the SPR length... I need to find a way to rectify that situation now...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    No skin off my ass. Just a warning to anyone who also wants an Aero mount, buy the SPR length... I need to find a way to rectify that situation now...
    Pretty aero can work with you if you call them.

A2 stock has always and will be my favorite stock for dmr/spr type configuration. The magpul one hasn't grown on me yet, the prs one.
    BRUUUHHHH....Do you EVEN OPERATE?!?!

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    For you guys with experience, what's acceptable as far as the scope being level? I got it as close as I could, and according to my digital level it's within a half a degree or so...

Downloads
    Uploads
    For you guys with experience, what's acceptable as far as the scope being level? I got it as close as I could, and according to my digital level it's within a half a degree or so...
    As long as you use a level you should be fine. I use a bubble level.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a digital level on it that I checked on multiple known surfaces beforehand, the scope fluctuated between 0.0-0.4 degrees or so. I'm not sure without the proper alignment tools I can get it any closer by hand.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a digital level on it that I checked on multiple known surfaces beforehand, the scope fluctuated between 0.0-0.4 degrees or so. I'm not sure without the proper alignment tools I can get it any closer by hand.
    Realistically the difference would be only visible out past 500y or so, I believe (could be wrong), if it is out of degree.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm gonna sight it in tomorrow using the plumb line method. That will let me know how close I am.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm gonna sight it in tomorrow using the plumb line method. That will let me know how close I am.
    i'll just leave this here... http://www.f2sconsulting.com/pages/f2s-tips.htm