Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cutaway Guest

Talking AR15 Minigun Concept

Here is a concept i came up with earlier today, A "Minigun" upper reciever that can be attached to any existing AR15/M16 lower recievers. I thought it would be ideal for heavy firefight situations or just a fun range weapon for those who want the feel of somthing more exotic. As real gatling guns will never be man-portable, This concept can as its rate of fire will not be so high but may acelerate the longer it is fired. The "M16 Minigun" may operate on a form of delayed blowback combined with a "Webley-Fosbery" grooved drum underneath the bolt to rotate the barrels. It may be fed from a magazine/drum and chambered in 5.56x45mm NATO.

Although it looks, It is not or no way a gatling gun but a machine gun that changes its barrels for each shot reducing overheating/erosion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    um?

Heijutsu Guest
    Yeah, what he said.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why would you want to destroy the great thing that is an AR15 for that? Just get some Beta C-Mags.

TJK
    Last edited by TraitorJackKnives; 26 January 2009 at 11:16.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TraitorJackKnives View Post
    Why would you want to destroy the great thing that is an AR15 for that? Just get some Beta C-Mags.
    I think you missed the point. He wants it as a gatling gun.. and maybe doesn't realize that the AR platform could never do that for so many different reasons. Let alone the ability to feed in rounds fast enough to keep up with a gatling.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Opps I didn't mean gatling.. but the functionality of doing what he wants to do.

Downloads
    Uploads
    From what I understood he wants a multi-barreled upper receiver that could be used with an ar15 lower receiver. The idea is good but would be unimaginably hard to produce though. I just took the shortcut of saying "Why would you want to destroy the great thing that is an AR15 for that?"

TJK
    Last edited by TraitorJackKnives; 26 January 2009 at 11:16.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A real Gatling Gun will never be man-portable.
    OK, check.

I'm still not sure (a) how this isn't effectively the same thing as a Gatling Gun, and (b) how it is anything close to man-portable. With that many barrels and a receiver of sufficient strength, it seem to me that we're talking about a 15-20 pound upper, minimum.

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hah, not to blatantly advertise but Rainier Arms does sell that Bushmaster Pneumatic Recoil buffer. Slowing down the ROF might just save you money on all that lead you'd be breathing.

The ACOG on the concept was the icing on the cake.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's getting very difficult to tell where the speculative conjecture ends, and the openly tongue-in-cheek part begins. Or not.

Personally, I think a T-1 would do nicely.

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    From minigun barrel upper receiver to pneumatic recoil buffer to T-1.. Boy i'm confused now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The T-1 comment was merely an acknowledgement that I "flinched," and had given up on trying to offer constructive input on a project that seemed to be otherwise headed in the direction of the patently absurd. Gatlings don't need optical sights ... they just need a nice tracer mix. :)

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    But tracers might cause a heat issue, so why not water cool the thing? Or better yet, use the water-cooling drum and blend your own delicious coffee with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm all for delicious coffee, but I'm pretty sure that this is the wrong forum for this particular kind of thought progression.

It has been said that Edison failed thousands, if not tens of thousands, of times for every successful experiment he developed, so I'm all for creative thinking; that said, I'm reasonably confident that this particular concept has run its course.

AC