Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking like you've got a plan together.

That's the gas block I got for use with my Select barrel (not MEDCON). I'd suggest giving Rainier CS a call and double checking with them just to be on the safe side

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Looking like you've got a plan together.

That's the gas block I got for use with my Select barrel (not MEDCON). I'd suggest giving Rainier CS a call and double checking with them just to be on the safe side

I've got a plan but it's given me plenty of headaches to be 'fun'... LOL...

I am thinking my AR will look pretty bad@ss once it's done...

If I can get the right muzzle device...black barrel, black 15 in rail, black gas block, black gas tube...then my upper and lower (CMT), and if I can find that kit with the charging handle... then I pretty much have to settle on a trigger and a stock. I have yet to figure out what kind of trigger (single or double)... or what stock I really want....

But I am sort of from the school of 'measure twice and cut once...and I am also from the school that if you don't have the money for it, don't be trying to buy it.... live within your means... there is no harm in it. I have saved long and hard for the AR I want... and I think I might get it.

I am pretty sure the thing will wind up looking pretty cool in the end... but more importantly be functional. I don't want to be the coolest guy on the gun range, simply because i don't go to gun ranges. There isn't anyone really to show off to and for. It's pure personal satisfaction.

Depending on the parts I get or if I can get some deals on cyber monday or black friday I could save money... but I plan to get years of enjoyment out of this thing...

That's another thing.... I see so many retailers online I have no idea where are the best and most reputable places to shop at.

I do not like devious sellers... advertise a price that's too good to be true then when you check out it's 39.95 shipping....

That is one reason I am looking on that rainier website... they seem honest. The shipping price is the shipping price. I will pay a small premium for the lack of hassle. Their shipping is straight up. One price. None of this other stuff....

But if I knew a list of places online to regularly check that would be nice...
    Last edited by alamo5000; 24 October 2014 at 22:47.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That gas block will be fine with the medcon barrel. The medcon is still .750 at the gas block. Weight is just taken off the front of the barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    That gas block will be fine with the medcon barrel. The medcon is still .750 at the gas block. Weight is just taken off the front of the barrel.
    What do you mean weight is taken off the front of the barrel? Can you expound a bit please? I am being real open here about just how ignorant I am and you guys are being so nice to me :)

Also... when I am buying this stuff... a gas tube... can i get it in black or is silver it? Also what length of gas tube and all that would I need for that mock up? It's a small part but it makes a big difference....

Downloads
    Uploads

Barrels...and other parts

You'll need a mid length gas tube for that barrel. Spikes has a nitrided gas tube, if they don't have it in stock a reseller usually does. V7 sells an inconel gas tube, but it's pricy.

Govt profile barrels are skinny behind the gas block but heavy in front if it. On medcon barrels they've increased the thickness behind the gas block while decreasing it forward. This results in a barrel that's about the same weight as a govt profile but better balanced.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another question since I am peppering you guys with a machine gun full of question marks... I see so much marketing hub bub about things...ughhh. its a turn off. But on the bolt carrier group. Someone please steer me right and make couple suggestions.

Ideally I would like like black. Black on black on black on black is kind of my motif here

That said I have been told more than once that nickel boron is really good because it is sort of self lubricating. I don't know if that's a load of crap or not. Meaning you can run with less oil... and so on and so forth...

If you can't already tell I am a caretaker. I take care of my friends and I take care of my stuff when at all possible.

I know I want an M16 bolt (I think) but I am not sure if thats true or not or if any of that coating stuff really matters.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh yeah... and to add to my confusion level i watched a 5 part series on the differences between muzzle breaks and flash hiders. Uhhh. I need to go to therapy now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    TR-Enabling sells a BCG with a black nickel Teflon finish. There's also several nitrided BCGs on the market. Or you could just go phosphate.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshAston View Post
    TR-Enabling sells a BCG with a black nickel Teflon finish. There's also several nitrided BCGs on the market. Or you could just go phosphate.
    Can you translate that more into English for me bro? What do those things do differently than the other?

Downloads
    Uploads
    And does anyone know when this kit will be available?

http://www.ar15news.com/2014/08/13/n...ies-combo-kit/

And will it work on my CMT reciever?

I don't see why not, BUT its nice to know for sure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Can you translate that more into English for me bro? What do those things do differently than the other?
    They are just different types of finishes on the BCGs to make them easier to clean, more lubricious requiring less gun oil for normal operation. With regular nickel boron, you'll see some discoloring due to wear but it doesn't affect function (I've got two). NiB is a slightly harder coating than Nickel Teflon but Nickel Teflon is slicker and not at all weak. Both are easy to clean...even with suppressor use I just wipe mine off. No caked on carbon or build up

I don't have any experience with nitrided BCGs so it's up to you to Google Fu that one

Phosphate is the standard BCG. Requires more cleaning and lubing but durable and has been in use for a long time. Can't go wrong here, it's just not the latest and greatest. Just don't get a shoddy one like some bargain basement PTAC. Get a known quantity like Rainier, BCM, etc

Downloads
    Uploads
    They are just different types of finishes on the BCGs to make them easier to clean, more lubricious requiring less gun oil for normal operation. With regular nickel boron, you'll see some discoloring due to wear but it doesn't affect function (I've got two). NiB is a slightly harder coating than Nickel Teflon but Nickel Teflon is slicker and not at all weak. Both are easy to clean...even with suppressor use I just wipe mine off. No caked on carbon or build up

I don't have any experience with nitrided BCGs so it's up to you to Google Fu that one

Phosphate is the standard BCG. Requires more cleaning and lubing but durable and has been in use for a long time. Can't go wrong here, it's just not the latest and greatest. Just don't get a shoddy one like some bargain basement PTAC. Get a known quantity like Rainier, BCM, etc
    Please recommend a good one.... with the link please. Ideally something in black. Don't care if it's the latest and greatest. Just good, quality, functional, and overall decent. I prefer something latest and greatest with the black color as to not break my blackness motif LOL but I will be just fine with the old version. I clean my guns after every shooting... but it would be nice to not having stuff getting caked on there. It wouldn't have to be 'black' but sort of a darker color would be cool. like maybe a dull finish but that preferrably has some of those qualities of nickel... I don't know if they make em or not but hell since I am already into question #2214 I might as well ask for help.

Really though i am a visual learner... so if i 'see' what you are talking about it helps. I am pretty sure having a shiny BCG wont hurt my feelings but you know... since I am making a wish list and I am willing to experiment. I just don't want some cheap ass china knock off.

And I don't mind cleaning, I just would like (if possible) to make cleaning easier.... I have some guns that have a ceracote finish on them... the gun powder burn marks just won't come off... little things like that that... since I am making a wish list for my Christmas present to myself would be cool to work out first.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I need to win something else so I can make my life a little easier :) Dragon? Trigger group? Something? Anything? Buelller?

All of this started from me frothing over an AR for months (and saving up for what I wanted) then me winning a part....

Help a brother out. PLEASE. The marketing gnomes are killing my brain cells.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Please recommend a good one.... with the link please. Ideally something in black. Don't care if it's the latest and greatest. Just good, quality, functional, and overall decent. I prefer something latest and greatest with the black color as to not break my blackness motif LOL but I will be just fine with the old version. I clean my guns after every shooting... but it would be nice to not having stuff getting caked on there. It wouldn't have to be 'black' but sort of a darker color would be cool. like maybe a dull finish but that preferrably has some of those qualities of nickel... I don't know if they make em or not but hell since I am already into question #2214 I might as well ask for help.

Really though i am a visual learner... so if i 'see' what you are talking about it helps. I am pretty sure having a shiny BCG wont hurt my feelings but you know... since I am making a wish list and I am willing to experiment. I just don't want some cheap ass china knock off.

And I don't mind cleaning, I just would like (if possible) to make cleaning easier.... I have some guns that have a ceracote finish on them... the gun powder burn marks just won't come off... little things like that that... since I am making a wish list for my Christmas present to myself would be cool to work out first.

Even though these newer coatings are very slick, It gives some people the idea that lube is not required. I just want to reaffirm that's not the case...running them dry may be possible but will build up heat and generate wear due to metal on metal. I run LESS lube on mine (FrogLube...not clp) so that may have more to do with it. I prefer NiB for ease of cleaning and I'm vain enough to say...appearance

That being said:
    Seekins Melonite/Nitrided BCG $142
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Seekins_...0011570003.htm
    Seekins is a top brand. Can't go wrong

Rainier Phosphate $135
    http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=3759

BCM Phosphate/parkerized: $170
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...up-auto-mp.htm

PSA Phosphate: $110
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ier-group.html

TR Enabling Nickel Teflon: $219
    http://www.tr-enabling.com/product-p/

Rainier NIB (not black)
    http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=3760

Downloads
    Uploads
    Even though these newer coatings are very slick, It gives some people the idea that lube is not required. I just want to reaffirm that's not the case...running them dry may be possible but will build up heat and generate wear due to metal on metal. I run LESS lube on mine (FrogLube...not clp) so that may have more to do with it. I prefer NiB for ease of cleaning and I'm vain enough to say...appearance

That being said:
    Seekins Melonite/Nitrided BCG $142
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Seekins_...0011570003.htm
    Seekins is a top brand. Can't go wrong

Rainier Phosphate $135
    http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=3759

BCM Phosphate/parkerized: $170
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...up-auto-mp.htm

PSA Phosphate: $110
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ier-group.html

TR Enabling Nickel Teflon: $219
    http://www.tr-enabling.com/product-p/