Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Build an AR on a TIGHT budget - $500

Can it still be done and build a quality AR? Yes it can. I finished mine last June after working on it for 1½ years. My total cost was $506.62 and that included mags and tools. You have to work at it to do so but you aren't working with spending money to do so if you have an internet connection to search for parts and good deals. It does also help if you can buy from Amazon or e-bay. I buy computer parts from e-bay all the time for customers so I do have a card I have linked through Paypal.

So, how do you build an AR on a $500 budget starting from zero?

I can help you do so for sure. Prices for some key components have even come down over the last year - Bolt Carrier Groups, Lower Parts Kits, lower and upper receivers and barrels. Hand guards and sights are now what drives a decent functional custom build cost up.

So, this is the Build it for $500 thread. Post your designs, parts lists and ask for help. We'll get it done. Not all of us can afford $400 just for a receiver set. But, over a few months we CAN build an excellent rifle for that $500.

Most folks here aren't on really tight budgets and trying to build a decent rifle. Folks like me are here though and I have done it over enough time. The most wonderful thing about the AR platform is that a great rifle CAN be built by just spending a little here and there. You don't have to lay out $500-600 all at once to get an AR if you build it yourself. I do have an excel spreadsheet for the rifle I built with every part possible needed listed and the parts I bought with their costs including shipping if there was any. I had to learn the hard way with the barrel I bought - nobody had told me one small bit of info that would have saved me a tiny bit of grief. After I did a wee bit of more work on the rifle it was fine though.

So, if you want to build for yourself a rifle with a $500 budget over some time, let me know. I'll help. I did it once for myself, I can help someone do it for themselves too.

As an incentive for you new builders, the first person that builds a complete rifle from this thread within the $500 budget I will send a brand new 30 round P-mag to still in it's package to. I still have a couple of those I never got a chance to open before I had to sell the rifle I built to pay our electricity bill.

To start you off on your build, here are some base costs you can get parts for
    Lower and upper receiver $100 (not crap polymer)
    Barrel $100
    Lower parts kit $45

You CAN do these without shipping costs too.

Basics, decent sights are where difficulties start to come in. They can be found for $80 though. I lucked out and got my A.R.M.S sights for $40 from a classified add.

So, the first one who does it in the $500 budget gets a free new in the package P-mag. That means you don't need to include a mag in the budget.

I know how much I struggled to do it and I started just when that Newtown massacre happened and our stupid govt. went on the rampage trying to ban AR's. Parts couldn't be found anywhere. Still, I managed though. I took a big hit on my lower receiver and LPK at $165. That was offset though by a police officer friend and of mine in NYC sending me a spare blem upper receiver he had paid $40 for as a gift.

So, yes, you can build a decent AR for $500

Do it and you get a free new in the package P-mag from me to go with it.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Man, that sucks that you had to do sell you rifle to pay the electric bill!!! At least you you have a nice new upper from the giveaway to start you next build with...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Brownells email today......... stupid cheap prices

bushmaster lower for $50, DPMS LPK for $50....

Brownells - Promotions & Discounts
    Home
    New Products
    Hot Sellers
    Learn
    Sale & Clearance
    Back In Black Rifle Event
    Brownells 30-Rd Gray AR-15/M16
    Magazine with CS Spring, 10-Pak Bushmaster AR-15 Stripped
    Lower Receiver
    Brownells 30-Rd Gray AR-15/M16 Magazine with CS Spring, 10-Pak
    Bushmaster AR-15 Stripped Lower Receiver
    Save Over $35
    Only $49.99!
    Bushmaster AR15 Bolt
    Carrier Group Complete Brownells 10.5" 300 Blackout Med
    Pistol Gas Barrel
    Bushmaster AR15 Bolt Carrier Group Complete
    Brownells 10.5" 300 Blackout Med Pistol Gas Barrel
    Save $50
    Save $25
    Bushmaster AR-15/M16
    V-Match Upper Receiver Daniel Defense 16" Lightweight
    Carbine 5.56 Barrel, 1-7 Twist
    Bushmaster AR-15/M16 V-Match Upper Receiver
    Daniel Defense 16" Lightweight Carbine 5.56 Barrel, 1-7 Twist
    Save $35
    $199.99
    Colt H2 Heavy
    Buffer Assembly Brownells AR-15/M16
    Critical Tools Kit
    Colt H2 Heavy Buffer Assembly
    Brownells AR-15/M16 Critical Tools Kit
    On Sale $29.99
    $109.99
    DPMS AR-15 Complete
    Receiver Parts Kit Geissele AR-15/M16/AR-Style
    .154" SSA Trigger
    DPMS AR-15 Complete Receiver Parts Kit
    Geissele AR-15/M16/AR-Style .154" SSA Trigger
    Just $49.99!
    $210.00
    Black Rifle Basics AR-15 STripped Lower $49.99
    Like Us On Facebook Watch Us On YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Shop Our Digital Catalog Follow Us On Pinterest
    Update Email Preferences | Unsubscribe from future mailings | Help Center
    Was this email forwarded to you? Subscribe Here
    Brownells, Inc. | 200 South Front Street, Montezuma, IA 50171 | 1-800-741-0015
    © Copyright 2014. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not surprised with that sales list. Companies ramped up production due to the demand from the scare to try to meet the demand. The scare ended but it takes time for a company to reduce production back to where demand goes down to normal or less and they end up with a lot of overstock. It's better to move it out at close to cost so as not to lose money from it.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    Man, that sucks that you had to do sell you rifle to pay the electric bill!!! At least you you have a nice new upper from the giveaway to start you next build with...
    Yes, it did suck but what had to be done had to be done........ nothing to do about it now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry to hear about what happened to your build.

And that's a wicked sweet deal on the Bushmaster upper & lower Brownell's got going on right now.

Also wanted to throw in: to those that can't get the Bushmaster sale going on right now, Anderson is a decent company (from what I've gathered) and make uppers and lowers for a good price. Typically you can find a stripped lower receiver for around $60 (sometimes I see my local shop sell them for $50). Actually if you go to their website today - you can find both the lower and upper on sale.

By the way - sometimes you can find parts even cheaper if they are the blemish or "blem" models. Basically this just means that a part has some sort of machining mark on it; in other words it's purely a cosmetic issue, but still should be 100% functional. A lot of the times, you can't even find the blemish - even if you look super duper hard.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If the budget is so tight, why even go with a parts gun? How are you going to be able to feed it?

I think we all saved for stuff we couldn't initially afford as I see we all have lots of hobbies. I think I woulda saved a bit longer and bought a $800 Colt.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Sorry to hear about what happened to your build.

And that's a wicked sweet deal on the Bushmaster upper & lower Brownell's got going on right now.

Also wanted to throw in: to those that can't get the Bushmaster sale going on right now, Anderson is a decent company (from what I've gathered) and make uppers and lowers for a good price. Typically you can find a stripped lower receiver for around $60 (sometimes I see my local shop sell them for $50). Actually if you go to their website today - you can find both the lower and upper on sale.

By the way - sometimes you can find parts even cheaper if they are the blemish or "blem" models. Basically this just means that a part has some sort of machining mark on it; in other words it's purely a cosmetic issue, but still should be 100% functional. A lot of the times, you can't even find the blemish - even if you look super duper hard.
    Anderson's also runs sales with free shipping on any order. I bought the barrel for the rifle I had to sell from them with a 10% discount plus free shipping when they had their Fathers Day sale. The barrel cost just under $100 and I got the 1:8 twist I wanted. I am building a new gun with one of their stripped lower receivers I bought back at the same time. At 57.50 shipped and transferred it was a good deal. Looks like I'll be able to build my 7.62x39 pistol for a grand total of $490 since I won the upper receiver from Sticks giveaway plus some good guys have sent me some free parts they had lying around. I don't have the total worked out yet because I have to inventory the springs that just arrived today and see what I still need to put the lower together.

My offer stands for the first person who's trying to complete one on a tight budget who does so for $500 or less - I'll supply the brand new P-mag for it It's a way I can give back something for the kindness given to me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anderson uppers and lowers on sale at AIMsurplus for 40 each plus shipping and transfer

Downloads
    Uploads
    One thing to consider for others when trying to build something as cheap as possible (something I am not a fan of)

Not everyone is going to have the tools, vises, punches, ect to properly install all of the parts. There's another potential $200 down the budget.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I built an AR during the panick for $750could have gotten it for $620 w different sights. Its doable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd beware or Anderson. I saw and handled one of their lowers last week and I left feeling like I needed to wash my hands. The finish was blotchy, and the pin holes looked oversized. The deburring appeared poorly done by hand and the pin holes looked like they attempted to counter sink them, but missed and went way off center. The threading for the receiver extention had chunks of finish missing and the threads did not appear smooth.

Would not buy.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Keep an eye out for $50 PSA blem lowers. They have several sales a year and their "blems" are as good as any lower I've owned.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On the blem theme, seems like I have seen Aero Precision do sales in the past, like 20% off your order.. Forged receiver sets at or around 100 bucks for both. As I recall.

Edit** For blem components that is.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    One thing to consider for others when trying to build something as cheap as possible (something I am not a fan of)

Not everyone is going to have the tools, vises, punches, ect to properly install all of the parts. There's another potential $200 down the budget.
    If you buy the upper complete, there isnt really any special tools needed for the lower is there? I just wrapped tape on a pair of pliers to push in pins and used a drill bit for the detents. It's pretty easy honestly. You can buy tools to make it easier though....