Can it still be done and build a quality AR? Yes it can. I finished mine last June after working on it for 1½ years. My total cost was $506.62 and that included mags and tools. You have to work at it to do so but you aren't working with spending money to do so if you have an internet connection to search for parts and good deals. It does also help if you can buy from Amazon or e-bay. I buy computer parts from e-bay all the time for customers so I do have a card I have linked through Paypal.

So, how do you build an AR on a $500 budget starting from zero?

I can help you do so for sure. Prices for some key components have even come down over the last year - Bolt Carrier Groups, Lower Parts Kits, lower and upper receivers and barrels. Hand guards and sights are now what drives a decent functional custom build cost up.

So, this is the Build it for $500 thread. Post your designs, parts lists and ask for help. We'll get it done. Not all of us can afford $400 just for a receiver set. But, over a few months we CAN build an excellent rifle for that $500.

Most folks here aren't on really tight budgets and trying to build a decent rifle. Folks like me are here though and I have done it over enough time. The most wonderful thing about the AR platform is that a great rifle CAN be built by just spending a little here and there. You don't have to lay out $500-600 all at once to get an AR if you build it yourself. I do have an excel spreadsheet for the rifle I built with every part possible needed listed and the parts I bought with their costs including shipping if there was any. I had to learn the hard way with the barrel I bought - nobody had told me one small bit of info that would have saved me a tiny bit of grief. After I did a wee bit of more work on the rifle it was fine though.

So, if you want to build for yourself a rifle with a $500 budget over some time, let me know. I'll help. I did it once for myself, I can help someone do it for themselves too.

As an incentive for you new builders, the first person that builds a complete rifle from this thread within the $500 budget I will send a brand new 30 round P-mag to still in it's package to. I still have a couple of those I never got a chance to open before I had to sell the rifle I built to pay our electricity bill.

To start you off on your build, here are some base costs you can get parts for
Lower and upper receiver $100 (not crap polymer)
Barrel $100
Lower parts kit $45

You CAN do these without shipping costs too.

Basics, decent sights are where difficulties start to come in. They can be found for $80 though. I lucked out and got my A.R.M.S sights for $40 from a classified add.

So, the first one who does it in the $500 budget gets a free new in the package P-mag. That means you don't need to include a mag in the budget.

I know how much I struggled to do it and I started just when that Newtown massacre happened and our stupid govt. went on the rampage trying to ban AR's. Parts couldn't be found anywhere. Still, I managed though. I took a big hit on my lower receiver and LPK at $165. That was offset though by a police officer friend and of mine in NYC sending me a spare blem upper receiver he had paid $40 for as a gift.

So, yes, you can build a decent AR for $500

Do it and you get a free new in the package P-mag from me to go with it.