Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbine

Downloads
    Uploads

M1 Carbine

To all those WWII buffs out there:

Just caught wind of this article: http://www.guns.com/2014/10/21/mks-s...nd-m1-carbine/

Looks like there's another company that's going to produce replica M1 Carbines. I'm not sure who all else does, but I do know that Auto Ordnance makes replicas too. However the difference I found, was that MKS is going to make them as historically as accurate as possible - Auto Ordance, from what I found, I just a replica - and subsequently a little cheaper than MKS's version.

Looks like this is as close to the paratrooper model as I can get.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm curious as to the new Sig Saucer version of the AR is going to perform
    My only fear is that when I die.... my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want as close to a paratrooper model as you can get, I'd just start saving pennies and get a real C&R one. I know they've gone up in price over the last year or two, but still, it's a piece of history. Generally speaking, you can get an AR anytime (barring the random panic), but the Carbines are getting more expensive as time goes by and there's still plenty of real ones out there for a market value price.

I'd love to get a second "real" M1c for collectability, but for now, I'll have to live with the one I have, and I'm very glad I grabbed it to have a little piece of history.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hate threads about the M1. Why? Because I want one so bad it hurts and it's going to be a looooong time before I can ever get one. I'd really like to get one from the CMP.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    I'd really like to get one from the CMP.
    Doubt they'll ever get any more. You can thank our good buddy Obumer for banning all future imports of lend-lease WWII firearms since apparently they will end up on the streets in things such as gang violence ..............

Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    If you want as close to a paratrooper model as you can get, I'd just start saving pennies and get a real C&R one. I know they've gone up in price over the last year or two, but still, it's a piece of history. Generally speaking, you can get an AR anytime (barring the random panic), but the Carbines are getting more expensive as time goes by and there's still plenty of real ones out there for a market value price.
    gatordev - do you know how much a paratrooper model costs? I know they're super rare (although not sure if they're as rare as Magpul lowers aka unicorns). You also bring up a great point about buying now rather than later.

Unfortunately for me though, I'm going to have to pick up an AR-15 before I make any other firearms purchase. Going into the Army - so will need marksmanship training (especially since I want to get into the Army Marksmanship Unit).

But yeah - I basically told myself that I'd pick up a Jack Carbine - then work on historical military firearms. If there's one firearm that I could absolutely want (... well besides an M1A1 Thompson), it'd be an SA M1 Garand.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Doubt they'll ever get any more. You can thank our good buddy Obumer for banning all future imports of lend-lease WWII firearms since apparently they will end up on the streets in things such as gang violence ..............

gatordev - do you know how much a paratrooper model costs? I know they're super rare (although not sure if they're as rare as Magpul lowers aka unicorns). You also bring up a great point about buying now rather than later.

Unfortunately for me though, I'm going to have to pick up an AR-15 before I make any other firearms purchase. Going into the Army - so will need marksmanship training (especially since I want to get into the Army Marksmanship Unit).

But yeah - I basically told myself that I'd pick up a Jack Carbine - then work on historical military firearms. If there's one firearm that I could absolutely want (... well besides an M1A1 Thompson), it'd be an SA M1 Garand.

I have a SA M1 Garand....some of the small parts are actually stamped Singer Sewing Company. Hopefully that rifle will never leave my family.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    CMP does still have them, I get their newsletter. It does take time to get one from them though ... and of course plus the cost.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    CMP does still have them, I get their newsletter. It does take time to get one from them though ... and of course plus the cost.
    Oh wow - didn't know this. According to their website, they said that M1 carbines are only available via the auction page - so I assumed they they didn't have them anymore. Is it the electronic newsletter that you get?

Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    I have a SA M1 Garand....

Downloads
    Uploads
    My father had a Carbine and a Garand. I got the Garand, my brother got the Carbine. I'd like to get a carbine for myself sometime.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceBannon42 View Post
    My father had a Carbine and a Garand. I got the Garand, my brother got the Carbine. I'd like to get a carbine for myself sometime.
    Wow - that's pretty nice. At least you still have a Carbine within the family. Curious - mind sharing which manufacturer's M1 you have?

Downloads
    Uploads
    They don't have M1 Carbines, but still have the M1. I haven't checked in a while, but I'm not sure if they even still have the odd M1 Carbine up on their auction.

So bear with me here for a minute... If you want the AR, then by all means. They're fairly inexpensive to buy, and fairly inexpensive to feed. You can also get decent accuracy from a factory gun and even from factory bulk ammo. But the actual marksmanship part is universal, and whether the rifle is a Garand, a Carbine, or a sexy AR, the fundamentals still apply to all of them.

Now, will the AR have better accuracy? Probably. It may also allow you to see error in technique easier. I can think of lots of reasons why the AR is a great platform to learn on. Heck, get a M&P 15/22 and learn to shoot iron sights on that. But I wouldn't discount other rifles just because it's not the Army currently issues/qualifies on. That said, I'm glad I learned shooting a rifle on an AR and not a Garand. Those things are lots of fun...until after about the second or third clip. At least for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hate threads about the M1. Why? Because I want one so bad it hurts and it's going to be a looooong time before I can ever get one. I'd really like to get one from the CMP.
    Yup.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow - that's pretty nice. At least you still have a Carbine within the family. Curious - mind sharing which manufacturer's M1 you have?
    Sure, it's a Springfield Armory.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    So bear with me here for a minute... If you want the AR, then by all means. They're fairly inexpensive to buy, and fairly inexpensive to feed. You can also get decent accuracy from a factory gun and even from factory bulk ammo. But the actual marksmanship part is universal, and whether the rifle is a Garand, a Carbine, or a sexy AR, the fundamentals still apply to all of them.

Now, will the AR have better accuracy? Probably. It may also allow you to see error in technique easier. I can think of lots of reasons why the AR is a great platform to learn on. Heck, get a M&P 15/22 and learn to shoot iron sights on that. But I wouldn't discount other rifles just because it's not the Army currently issues/qualifies on. That said, I'm glad I learned shooting a rifle on an AR and not a Garand. Those things are lots of fun...until after about the second or third clip. At least for me.
    I completely understand where you are coming from. But for me personally, I'd prefer to have my first gun to be an AR (been drooling over the Jack Carbine for a long time now haha); that plus transitioning from an AR to an M-4 wont be so difficult. But honestly - the bigger reason is what you mentioned - cost of ammo. Haven't had a look at 30-06 ammo in a while and (after a quick search) wow - I'd be paying at least twice the amount for 30-06 Wolf ammo (not sure how good Wolf's 30-06 ammo is); with AE/Federal around $1.00/round.

That and, for me at least, the M1 for me would be more of a range gun ... don't think I'd want to use that for self/home defense/SHTF scenarios (not sure if I'd really want to trust my life to 8 rounds when I could have 30 if that makes sense).

Ya'll are lucky that you got SA M1's - I hope I get one from SA when I get one from the CMP.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, that's probably the most important point...an AR is what you want!

FYI, Privi has Garand 30-06 for around $.80-ish/round. Not as good as good a price as CMP, but it's also specifically made for Garands, which can't shoot regular production 30-06 without a gas plug swap. Also, 30 Carbine is around $.50/round (last time I looked...I have a bunch stored away, so it's been a while). So yeah, 5.56 is definitely the cheaper way to go for plinking.