Some new details:

Aluminum Lithium Forged Recievers
    Titanium Barrel Nut
    7075 Aluminum Handguard available in both M-LOK and Keymod

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/10/20...etails-emerge/
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm wondering how well this aluminum lithium would stand up as suppressor material? Even if it's just the tube, that's a decent weight reduction for a rifle can.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Aluminum Lithium is said to be lighter than 7075% , and only 7% weaker than Titanium. The weight savings over 7075 would probably not benefit me, but may work in a can.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aluminum is not a substitute for Inconel...no-matter how awesome it is, an AlLi is awesome. It's just not...THAT awesome. A .22 rimfire suppressor, sure!

At any rate, I'm surprised to see this much of MOD2 revealed in public at this point.
    Last edited by JGifford; 22 October 2014 at 00:33.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't think it would hold up as baffles, but what about the tube?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshAston View Post
    I didn't think it would hold up as baffles, but what about the tube?
    Ti won't even hold up as a tube.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wonder what the odds of just getting a matching upper and lower set on these would be...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Innovation is always a good thing but I'm not sure what value the AU Mod 2 brings to the platform. Al-Li is an interesting alloy but it doesn't mean the new receiver is going to be lighter than a standard 7075-T6 receiver unless it's identical dimensionally. Why do we need stronger receivers? When is last time anyone has wore out a mil-spec receiver? At this point, I have more questions answers. Time will tell...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Gale View Post
    Innovation is always a good thing but I'm not sure what value the AU Mod 2 brings to the platform. Al-Li is an interesting alloy but it doesn't mean the new receiver is going to be lighter than a standard 7075-T6 receiver unless it's identical dimensionally. Why do we need stronger receivers? When is last time anyone has wore out a mil-spec receiver? At this point, I have more questions answers. Time will tell...
    A few weeks or a month ago, I was reading and long thread on m4c about Hodge. Lots of opinions on both sides of the plate. I understand the trend for LW components, but like you said, has anyone ever worn out a mil-spec receiver or broken one?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I wonder what the odds of just getting a matching upper and lower set on these would be...
    Unless you are personal friends with Jim Hodge, likely none, if you mean "stripped". However, I have handled MOD 2, and they...well...Have you ever racked the slide on a Wilson Supergrade 1911? Literally, that's what the upper and lower feel like on MOD2.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why not just use 6601, then? Why did the MK18 platform spec 7075 for the RISII?

Better is better.

The advantages?

Less chance of corrosion. Stiffer upper = more accurate as well as less bolt wear (receiver/barrel/rail flex is part of why FF rails reduce bolt failures).

Further, its a beautifully executed ambi control lower, if nothing else. The rail is sexy as hell and feels great to hold/point. It will also accept accessories that other rails cannot, at this time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    Further, its a beautifully executed ambi control lower, if nothing else.
    I couldn't agree more... All of your other talking points are unarguably subjective. The cost benefit ratio is suspect at this point and only time will tell the whole story.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I couldn't agree more... All of your other talking points are unarguably subjective. The cost benefit ratio is suspect at this point and only time will tell the whole story.
    Advantages of a stuffer upper and rail are not subjective, nor is the strength and corrosion resistance of the new allow. Those are objective, finite, and measurable things easily defined.

Now, how the rail and how it feels, etc...fair enough, YMMV

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    They are releasing the receiver sets in 7075 instead of the aluminum lithium, to be more affordable.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    Advantages of a stuffer upper and rail are not subjective, nor is the strength and corrosion resistance of the new allow. Those are objective, finite, and measurable things easily defined.

Now, how the rail and how it feels, etc...fair enough, YMMV
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should...

Until you post some data sets from a vetted testing process, it's very much subjective. Comparing materials on a chart is comparing materials on chart. How those materials perform over time for their intended purpose creates objective data points for the specific use. The arguments for or against the use of a certain material should be necessity driven. Contrary to your "better is better" statement, your earlier comparison of 6061 to 7075 on a DD RISII is an example of trading strength for corrosion resistance. Nothing more, nothing less. When you can prove that a carbine manufactured by Hodge with Al-Li lasts longer and and is more accurate, let's have another discussion. Until then, let's put this red herring to bed.