Downloads
    Uploads

magnetospeed v3(potential purchase)

Looking at picking up one of these in the near future. Anyone have any reports on them? I have a new bot gun and ar10 and will be handloading by spring time once I have all the gear. They seem like a solid product and have heard mostly good reports. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have used one and I am not a fan. Normal shoot through crony needs set up once and you can shoot as many different weapons as you want. With the barrel mount you need to reinstall it on every weapon. Testing a particular load in multiple weapons became a PITA. A member on here just listed a shooting crony for a fair price that works better IMO.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the V2 and have been impressed. I agree, fiddling with the attachment is annoying at first, but once you know what each weapon you're putting it on needs for spacers, that doesn't change and you can just throw on the correct number and cinch it down. If I was more organized, I'd actually write that down for each suppressor/barrel. My biggest complaint with the V2 is the retractor that the cord attaches to. It's basically lost all motivation to retract now, but that's really not that big of a deal.

Downloads
    Uploads

magnetospeed v3(potential purchase)

I've got an Oehler 35p now, looking at replacing it with this when they become available.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I have the V2 and have been impressed. I agree, fiddling with the attachment is annoying at first, but once you know what each weapon you're putting it on needs for spacers, that doesn't change and you can just throw on the correct number and cinch it down. If I was more organized, I'd actually write that down for each suppressor/barrel. My biggest complaint with the V2 is the retractor that the cord attaches to. It's basically lost all motivation to retract now, but that's really not that big of a deal.
    I sold my optical chronograph to save towards a V3. Reasons are as follows:

1. I shoot at a private range that can get busy. Going forward of the line to set up a chronograph is an annoyance for other shooters. It's not painstaking, just a bit of a chore.

2. High velocity gasses can affect an optical chronograph. That's why you set them up at least 10 feet away from the muzzle. Not a detriment of use, just another small chore.

3. There is the risk of a bullet strike on the chronograph or more commonly the upright rods. Striking either one is a death sentence for the chronograph.

I will essentially be able to stay behind the shooting line and never fear about bullet strikes with the Magnetospeed V3. My optical chronograph worked fine and I have no complaints. But anything that reduces setup and take down time at the range is a plus for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshAston View Post
    I've got an Oehler 35p now, looking at replacing it with this when they become available.
    It's clever. I haven't bothered to check recently, but the release of this radar chronograph has been veiled, re-veiled, and vaguely sorta kinda hinted at for the last 18 mobths. Plus demo videos are limited to the poorly animated infomercial on YouTube. Only SHOT attendees have seen it in person.

I'm interested, but more info or hands on testing with some prominent gun guys would be nice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Mack View Post

1. I shoot at a private range that can get busy. Going forward of the line to set up a chronograph is an annoyance for other shooters. It's not painstaking, just a bit of a chore.
    While not the primary reason I got one, this was a nice second order effect of the Magnetospeed. When I bought it, the two ranges I had access to were either a private one, where the shotgunners would determine when we could go cold and therefore set anything up (it was a shared range) or it was a public range that went cold every ~30 minutes or so, so if you missed the window, it was much easier to setup and shoot the Magnetospeed.

I remember the first time I took it there, there were a few old timers (including one retired SWO...if you know what that is, it makes more sense) and I could hear them in my electronic muffs bickering about how what I was setting up was strange and different, and therefore untrusted.

3. There is the risk of a bullet strike on the chronograph or more commonly the upright rods. Striking either one is a death sentence for the chronograph.

I will essentially be able to stay behind the shooting line and never fear about bullet strikes with the Magnetospeed V3. My optical chronograph worked fine and I have no complaints. But anything that reduces setup and take down time at the range is a plus for me.
    Again, the whole package is pretty small and once you know how to set it up, it doesn't take long and it's a much smaller foot print, as Nathan mentions. Also...

I managed to "bullet strike" my MagnetoSpeed with a .308 round because I failed to pay attention and use the tool correctly. There's just a stripe on the measuring device from the jacket and no other damage. It still works 4.0 with no issues. I learned my lesson, but was still impressed it's ruggedness.