Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Trigger Questions

While I am at it, let me just let this whole thing hang out.... (after this one my only last question will be on muzzle breaks but that's a minor thing)....

At this point I am predisposed to 'like' a CMC flat trigger with the point on the end. Here is 'why' I am thinking like I do. Please don't hold back in setting me straight if/when I am wrong.

I like curved triggers by all means. If I was shooting with gloves on that might be my choice, but usually I am not a gloved shooter.

I 'feel like' that with curved triggers it leaves leeway for my finger to slip around a little and I may or may not have consistent finger placement on the trigger itself. Also I feel like when I pull on a curved trigger the trigger motion is more down and to the back rather than 'back'...kind of like a 'slide motion'.

I feel like if I get that flat trigger with the point I will be able to more consistently have finger placement on the trigger and that pull will be much more of a pull 'back'. At least that's my thinking.

As for pull, I absolutely love my sig triggers on my pistols. The weight (about 4 1/2 pounds) is pretty nice. I don't want a heavy trigger (I don't think)... I am basing this on my pistol shooting which might be a big mistake. Some revolver shooters like heavier triggers....

But I am thinking somewhere around the 4 pound area would be nice. Not to light, not too heavy. If it's 1/2 pound either way I would learn to live with it I am sure.

I like triggers that have a crisp clean and consistent breaking point. A big long @ss trigger pull... uggg... I don't really care for it. In pistol terms I don't really like the revolver pull. I can do it, but it's not my favorite. It takes different techniques.

I would like to know when and where and exactly at what spot that trigger is going to go off and when that gun will go bang.

Now as to the notion of single stage vs 2 stage... i have no idea. Someone please fill me in.

Please note, these are all preconcieved ideas so feel free to tell me when and where I am wrong about thinking about this stuff. I like to learn from people. I feel like I am unloading on you guys with my questions, but at the same time I feel like I ultimately get to quality and 'real' answers.

Would a straight trigger with no 'hook point' be better or have advantages? Or am I kind of in the right ball park with the CMC triggers that have the slight jutting out point to them?

Are there other brands to look at that are reasonable?

And once again, thank you ALL that reply to me in my many questions. Seriously. I have delayed and delayed and put off buying an AR and building one simply because I don't have these answers and often i get people telling me stuff to try and sell me things rather than trying to educate me on how each one is designed and how it's supposed to help.

Thanks again everyone. I am trying to do my homework here and you guys are a gold mine.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 23 October 2014 at 22:24.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Triggers really are more of a personal issue than a functional one. Some people like a lighter trigger pull, some like a heavier one. CMC makes nice triggers - they're a bit pricey, so are the Timney and Geissele triggers. I like the Geissele 2 stage trigger and it's just a hair cheaper than the CMC triggers. The two stage trigger gives you a little bump as you squeeze the trigger then the last bit is very crisp. That little hiccup lets you know you re just about to go bang. It's kind of a neat concept really.

You can fine tune mil-spec triggers though buy changing out the trigger and hammer spring and doing a little work with some 0000 steel wool on the trigger and hammer surfaces. A 6lb. pull milspec trigger can be fine tuned to come down to around 5lb. pull. I have quite large hands so I'm happy with 6lb. pull triggers. I smooth all the surfaces and polish them up some, but that's it. I don't particularly want a 2.5 lb. pull hair trigger.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Budget: $40 ALG Milspec trigger + $15 trigger adjuster screw and $12 JP reduced power 4.5lb springs

Middle: $150 CMC Flat trigger

High Dollar: Anything Geiselle (SSA/-E, S3G, etc)

I have option one on an AR pistol and its pretty impressive for the pride and what it is. The trigger adjuster took all the slack and travel out of the trigger and the springs make it a crisp single stage break at 4.5lbs.

On my precisions ARs I run SSA-E trigger. I love creeping back the first stage until I feel it hit the "wall" and just almost willing the trigger the last pound to break the second stage. Reset is very short and eliminates the first stage. It's also short and light enough you can hammer through a mag if you need to put rounds downrange

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    Triggers really are more of a personal issue than a functional one. Some people like a lighter trigger pull, some like a heavier one. CMC makes nice triggers - they're a bit pricey, so are the Timney and Geissele triggers. I like the Geissele 2 stage trigger and it's just a hair cheaper than the CMC triggers. The two stage trigger gives you a little bump as you squeeze the trigger then the last bit is very crisp. That little hiccup lets you know you re just about to go bang. It's kind of a neat concept really.

You can fine tune mil-spec triggers though buy changing out the trigger and hammer spring and doing a little work with some 0000 steel wool on the trigger and hammer surfaces. A 6lb. pull milspec trigger can be fine tuned to come down to around 5lb. pull. I have quite large hands so I'm happy with 6lb. pull triggers. I smooth all the surfaces and polish them up some, but that's it. I don't particularly want a 2.5 lb. pull hair trigger.

My target is around 4 pounds. Anything less and I would be probably uncomfortable with it. I do like to know when, as it exactly when that trigger will go bang. I wish there was some way I could try a single vs a 2 stage trigger...that might help. I will go to a gun show soon and see if someone will let me test it out.

Also as with other things I don't know which brands are 'good' and 'best' and which ones you pay out the nose for because it has a stamp on it but in reality it doesn't perform 'that much' better than the 'good' one...

All the marketing fluff muddies up the water way too much for my tastes. It makes it harder in some regards.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Budget: $40 ALG Milspec trigger + $15 trigger adjuster screw and $12 JP reduced power 4.5lb springs

Middle: $150 CMC Flat trigger

High Dollar: Anything Geiselle (SSA/-E, S3G, etc)

I have option one on an AR pistol and its pretty impressive for the pride and what it is. The trigger adjuster took all the slack and travel out of the trigger and the springs make it a crisp single stage break at 4.5lbs.

On my precisions ARs I run SSA-E trigger. I love creeping back the first stage until I feel it hit the "wall" and just almost willing the trigger the last pound to break the second stage. Reset is very short and eliminates the first stage. It's also short and light enough you can hammer through a mag if you need to put rounds downrange
    About how much we talking for a SSA-E?

Like I said, I don't need the 'best' but I have a keen natural ability to pick something up at random and it will be the most expensive thing in the room. Just another talent of mine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Geiselle triggers will set you back anywhere from $200-$250 depending on the model. Seems like Primary Arms has them on sale frequently. I would honestly wait til...what's it called..Cyber Monday? and there will probably be deals on every part you still need. I got a lot of good stuff last year for some good savings

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, the suggested retail price of the Geissele 2 stage trigger is something like $165. The CMC triggers have a suggested retail price of $179 I think. Timney's are higher prices and some of the Geissele match triggers are up there with the Timneys.

For $60 you can get the Spikes Tactical battle trigger which has a 5 lb. pull weight. I don't know of any flat triggers other than the higher end triggers. Patriot Ordinance, and Timney have trigger that aren't flat but with very minimum curve. Both Geissele and CMC have flat triggers available. These are all high dollar triggers though. I'd get the spikes trigger witht he 5 lb pull or even simply use a LPK mil-spec trigger and change the springs. I'm not going out match shooting. Even the ALG advanced combat trigger which is Geissele tuned (ALG is a Geissele daughter company) and has a cost $65 has a pull somewhere above the minimum military spec of 5.5 lbs. JP makes trigger springs that will bring a milspec trigger down to 4-4.5 lbs pull. They only cost $10.50. You won't have a flat trigger though. For that you end up having to pay close to $200.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Trigger Questions

Watch palmetto state armory. I picked up a Geissele SSA-E in a full LPK for $200 shipped there, the trigger retails at $230.

That being said, for a general purpose rifle, I think You'd be better suited with a regular SSA. Same trigger, bit heavier pull weight. Or even the G2S, which is a SSA without the laser engraving. But let's be honest, the laser engravings make everyone at the range know you are superior to them because you have a fancy trigger. Sarcasm.

I do love my SSA-E though. Pull it til she stops, steady the rifle, and a stiff breeze would make it go bang. I feel it's almost too light for anything but precision shooting.

On another note. What Former mentioned about the single stage with the adjuster screw. They also work very well. I have a ALG QMS trigger in one of mine with the screw. Basically what it does is take all the pre travel out of the single stage trigger and gives you only the break. Essentially it's like taking the first stage out of a two stage trigger, you're always against that wall, and when you squeeze, it's gonna go bang. Still going to have a higher pull weight though than a Geissele.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    Actually, the suggested retail price of the Geissele 2 stage trigger is something like $165. The CMC triggers have a suggested retail price of $179 I think. Timney's are higher prices and some of the Geissele match triggers are up there with the Timneys.

For $60 you can get the Spikes Tactical battle trigger which has a 5 lb. pull weight. I don't know of any flat triggers other than the higher end triggers. Patriot Ordinance, and Timney have trigger that aren't flat but with very minimum curve. Both Geissele and CMC have flat triggers available. These are all high dollar triggers though. I'd get the spikes trigger witht he 5 lb pull or even simply use a LPK mil-spec trigger and change the springs. I'm not going out match shooting. Even the ALG advanced combat trigger which is Geissele tuned (ALG is a Geissele daughter company) and has a cost $65 has a pull somewhere above the minimum military spec of 5.5 lbs. JP makes trigger springs that will bring a milspec trigger down to 4-4.5 lbs pull. They only cost $10.50. You won't have a flat trigger though. For that you end up having to pay close to $200.
    Yes, their G2S is $165, but the rest of their product line is in price point I listed. He also specifically asked about the two stage SSA-E which I had suggested to him based on experience with it

https://www.primaryarms.com/Geissele...ics_s/5980.htm

I also suggested the JP reduced power springs as an option with a quality MILSPEC trigger. Like ride4 said, it does a good job of reducing travel and creep...combine it with some low power springs and a quality base model trigger and you'll be impressed

And CMC flat triggers can be had for $160 like I mentioned
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/305...le-stage-matte

Downloads
    Uploads
    The FDE package is the only one currently in stock but I think these are the best deals you can get on a Geissele, ssa or ssa-e. On the second page of PSA's LPK page, they have listed the other ones, but they are all out of stock for now. PSA LPK-E is or LPK-G is what you're looking for in the title, E variant being the enhanced trigger. You can even get them with standard milspec furniture or magpul. $240 for a magpul grip, trigger guard, the rest of an LPK and a $230 trigger is a good deal IMO. Look around there often, they will go on sale too.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.../category/389/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didnt read this whole thing but.......... I built my first AR a few years ago... RRA 18" with RRA two stage trigger. Really like it for long range stuff. Ive been putting the JP springs on my blackout, CQB and pistol with the adjustor screw run up behind the grip. Really liked that over "stock" and thought the $150 triggers were stupid. Anyway, just ran across a deal on a local forum for a timney drop in 4lb for cheap. I wanted three but thought what the heck... anyway, first time i shot it........ holy hell. Amazing. I rattled off a whole mag like Ive never been able to do. It's really nice. I can highly recommend if you have the $$$. There should be some good deals coming up on black friday.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    I didnt read this whole thing but.......... I built my first AR a few years ago... RRA 18" with RRA two stage trigger. Really like it for long range stuff. Ive been putting the JP springs on my blackout, CQB and pistol with the adjustor screw run up behind the grip. Really liked that over "stock" and thought the $150 triggers were stupid. Anyway, just ran across a deal on a local forum for a timney drop in 4lb for cheap. I wanted three but thought what the heck... anyway, first time i shot it........ holy hell. Amazing. I rattled off a whole mag like Ive never been able to do. It's really nice. I can highly recommend if you have the $$$. There should be some good deals coming up on black friday.

I got one of these coming in the 3.5 pound pull single stage variety. Should be here later this week. I chose the flat hook lip design on purpose and for a very specific purpose...My reasoning might be wrong, but hey, I think it will work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwurjl6BQwU
    Last edited by alamo5000; 28 October 2014 at 17:10.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, ive wanted a flat trigger too. Just looks different and i have long fingers so i wont have to curl as much i think. I got a sweet deal on this one so im pretty happy with it. Post up your thoughts when you get it installed!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a heads up primary arms is having a 15% off sale on triggers for their halloween sale..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Just a heads up primary arms is having a 15% off sale on triggers for their halloween sale..
    Haha I came in here to post this.

Also sales on Raptor Charging handles and a lot more. If you can't get it now get it during Black Friday/Cyber monday