Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Diamondhead vs. Troy or other sights thoughts and opinions

I'm currently on the fence about what sight set I should grab for my current build. Was originally thinking about grabbing a set of diamondheads, but then UW said that they might not be worth the money. My experience with sights tend to be limited to Magpuls MBUS and a set of Dueck RTS 45°(which for all intents and purposes are just standard irons kicked sideways.

I know I'm looking for a decent set of aluminum BUIS, and I'm looking for advice from people who've handled more than I have. Experience with either or both is greatly appreciated.

Anyone care to weigh in?
    It's difficult to soar with eagles, when you work with turkeys...

Downloads
    Uploads
    CamoMike I would recommend a set of MBUS PRO from Rog Tactical when they're back in-stock. $132.50

http://www.rogtac.com/optics-sights/...pro-combo.html
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly, on backup sights, is you're going to use them in a backup role, then I would buy the least expensive option that do the job. In my opinion MBUS's work well. If you have a healthy budget, go for the Diamondheads, Troy's, or the PRO's All will work well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    CamoMike I would recommend a set of MBUS PRO from Rog Tactical when they're back in-stock. $132.50

http://www.rogtac.com/optics-sights/...pro-combo.html
    I agree. The mbus pro's are my choice over either.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Only issue I run into there is they won't work with the Blitzkrieg components chevron Sight post I'm looking at.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by camomike View Post
    Only issue I run into there is they won't work with the Blitzkrieg components chevron Sight post I'm looking at.
    The plastic MBUS will... I've been running the Blitzkrieg on a set of MBUS's for awhile now. Great product.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My only issue with the MBUS is the rear aperture - The peep is just a touch too small. The main reason I was looking at Aluminum over polymer is that they may not stay back ups, I most likely will end up pulling the red dot to work on irons. Sorry, should have stipulated I was looking more at metal than the poly sights. Maybe I will just grab a set of PROs and hope blitzkrieg makes a post for them in the future. I like the idea of a tool free adjust.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've gotten pretty comfortablewith the LWRC BUIS, high quality and bulletproof.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I really like the diamondhead irons....they just seem to be quicker.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My 1st choice will be the MBUS Pro.. and 2nd will be the TROY.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by camomike View Post
    My only issue with the MBUS is the rear aperture - The peep is just a touch too small. The main reason I was looking at Aluminum over polymer is that they may not stay back ups, I most likely will end up pulling the red dot to work on irons. Sorry, should have stipulated I was looking more at metal than the poly sights. Maybe I will just grab a set of PROs and hope blitzkrieg makes a post for them in the future. I like the idea of a tool free adjust.
    I'm not trying to sound like a smart ass, so this is an honest question... Do you know that you can pop the rear aperture "apart" from itself and then you'll have the larger aperture? If yougo here: http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG248/MBUS and mouse over the pictures, you'll see the large aperture exposed.

I'm not trying to sell you on MBUSes one way or the other, just giving you the heads up in case you didn't know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The backup iron sight segment of the business has gotten interesting. As the need decreases (due to both the increased reliability of the primary optic as well as the use of 1.x-Y optics that do not allow any cowitness) the choices have increased, to include mounting positions (i.e. the 45* sights to deal with the magnified optic issue).

I strongly dislike gimmicks. So, I'm not in favor of any new-hotness when it comes to apertures for the rear or post size/shape on the front. What I *have* learned after spending many thousands of rounds with an irons-only carbine, is that the default should be the small aperture. Even better, I should be able to choose which aperture is the default, even if it is a folding sight. Also, I should be able to retain that choice, without a lot of fiddle-fart, after I've changed to the sight. That means, effectively, that I want a simple flip mechanism for the swapping, and I want the sight to lay flat with either aperture in the default, if I'm using a folding rear sight.

I also want sights that work equally well as dedicated irons as they do "backup" irons, and I want them to be usable either with magnified or non-magnified optics. That means folding sights, and it means folding sights that lock in the deployed position. I do not want them held in position with a detent, and I do not want them held in position with a spring. In fact, I would prefer no springs (other than adjustment detents) at all.

I also want the apertures to be "same plane", meaning I want them to shoot to the same POI with either the small or large aperture. If I bring the gun, or sight, up and find that the aperture I want is not deployed, I want to be able to make due without adjusting POA.

Because of that criteria, I'm currently using this
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-F...ht-1301-dh.htm

I believe Troy is supposed to be coming out with an updated version of their sight that can be folded with either aperture deployed as well. But I haven't seen one in the wild or for sale yet.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

I also want the apertures to be "same plane", meaning I want them to shoot to the same POI with either the small or large aperture. If I bring the gun, or sight, up and find that the aperture I want is not deployed, I want to be able to make due without adjusting POA.
    This. I dislike the A2 type commonly found on rear sights. Many people don't get that there is a POI shift when you change between the two apertures.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I could not agree with rob_s more that the default aperture should be the small one. I have a few different sights that you can not fold flat unless it is set with almost useless large aperture. I have been running the GG&G MAD rear sight almost exclusively. The wheel style aperture allows any choice to be folded. The wheel actually has 2 of each aperture so it only takes a quarter turn to select between the two. . And the one with the tritium dots only have the dots on one so you can choose with or without illuminated dots. They are not spring loaded and lock positively in the upright position. The fact that I picked up 3 off fleabay for $150 shipped was the icing on the cake. Retail is very high on these, $140 standard and $190 with the tritium dots.

http://www.gggaz.com/mad-back-up-iron-sight.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, guess I am going poly after all. Was looking up drop tests on sights last night. Results were not what I had expected. MBUS actually came out on top with about a 1 moa shift. The DH had a 16 moa shift and was unable to select anymore. Troy sights had a 3 moa shift but was still usable. Not at all what I thought would happen. The polymer absorbed the drop and stayed functional, the aluminum sights bent. Enough convincing for me. Was wrong in my thoughts.