Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

First Suppressor

Hey all,

I've been looking hard at suppressors for my first NFA item. I'm looking at getting a trust as well with a lawyer the gun shop recommended to me or I may go with a online option depending on the price of the lawyer.

I was at the gun shop, which is a 90 minute drive for me, to get my new DDM4v5 :D. We talked about suppressors and he brought out, what I'm assuming is what all he had instock, which was...

AAC SR7
    AAC 762 SDN-6
    SpecWar 762
    Phantom 308
    Phantom Ti 308

Recommending me to get a larger suppressor in case I go a bigger caliber. Cause currently all I have is a AR15 556 rifle. I originally wanted the Saker, but I didn't ask him about it, but I assume he could get it in. I probably will not get anything bigger than a 556 since my next purchases I see to be 2 more pistols and a shotgun. So, I'm not really sure it is worth going 762 but it don't hurt I guess lol.

Out of the choices above I didn't really like the Phantom 308, It was just heavy. He recommended to me to get the AAC SR-7 just because of the new mounting system. I did like all of the others though.

My main concern is having good sound reduction, durability and not overally heavy along with a fair price. They all felt good weight wise but the Phantom to me atleast. I think the shop gave me a fair price for all of those mentioned though. I thought about emailing them and asking if they have a Saker or could get one in.

Any suggestions on the ones listed that they got in stock? I can't really find much information on the AAC SR-7 for comparisons.

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    My vote is for the 762-sdn-6. Great can that will cover all your bases. Plus a $200 online store credit if you buy it by the end of the year.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sure AAC is cheaper, but quality is going down and CS is horrible. There a better companies with better mounts and better cans. I even had a dealer who sells just about every can not recommend them anymore.

Realize also that there are trade offs with weight and sound reduction. If sound reduction is most important you need volume and will get a bit more weight.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    Sure AAC is cheaper, but quality is going down and CS is horrible. There a better companies with better mounts and better cans. I even had a dealer who sells just about every can not recommend them anymore.

Realize also that there are trade offs with weight and sound reduction. If sound reduction is most important you need volume and will get a bit more weight.
    So that leads to four questions...

1) besides the dealer, on what do you base this opinion?
    2) What/who is better?
    3) what do you recommend to the OP?
    4) What do you own?
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    The SR7 is going to be very expensive and hard to find, along with an expensive mounts. It used AACs 90t System which is suppose to be an upgrade to their 51T system. The 90 tooth system hasn't really been pushed to the front because the 51 tooth systems are still selling very well. I personally don't trust the mounts because of the wobble issues, not everyone has trouble with the mounts but enough people do that you can find hundreds of posts about fixes and ways to minimize the wobble. I want a solid lock up and I don't want to have to modify the mount to do it.

It is hard to make a recommendation from that list because they are sort of all over the place. Do you want something very versatile? If so, I would either get the spec war or look again at the Saker if you are just running it on in AR for now because they will work fine on anything else in the future. If you're running it on an AR 15, the titaniumsuppressor may not be the best option if you're going to be running high rates of fire through it at times. If you're shooting slow and want to run on a precision rifle for weight savings, the titanium suppressor is worth looking at.

While I would recommend finding a local shop that has what you want in stock to cut down on the additional form three wait time, I would also recommend not compromising on what you want. The NFA game isn't cheap and it isn't quick, and for those reasons I would get exactly what you want so you don't feel like you wasted the time and money and need to get something else that you should've gotten the first time

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're not going to worry about getting a 7.62 rifle in the future, and weight is a concern then I'd stick to a 5.56 can. My overall favorite can is the griffin armament recce 5. It's lightweight, durable, and quiet. Their mounting system Is also rock solid. The Saker is also a good option.

If you are stuck with those choices the specwar is a great can but it is a heavy beast, and the SR7 is a good option as well because of the 90t mount.

Stay away from titanium on semis, they wear faster, are louder, and spark.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    One thing in favor of hte 7.62 cans, even if you're not planning on buying a 7.62 gun, they also would work on 300 BLK, 7.62x39, 6.8 and 6.5, etc.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    One thing in favor of hte 7.62 cans, even if you're not planning on buying a 7.62 gun, they also would work on 300 BLK, 7.62x39, 6.8 and 6.5, etc.
    +1
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would get the 7.62 can if you plan on never getting another one. If you only have a 5.56 rifle with no plans for another caliber, like Viper 237 mentioned, get a 5.56 can because they're Lighter and usually cheaper. But I am of the "suppress them all" mentality and don't mind buying more cans as I see fit

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have not seen any drop in AAC's quality myself. I think the 762SDN-6 is one of the best cans at that price point in the market. They are frequently on sale and as mentioned, there is a $200 Store credit to buy mounts. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I've had my 762SDN-6 for over 2 years now, I'm pretty satisfied as that's the can I shoot the most.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow thanks for all the comments guys. I really do appreciate it!

I contacted a local gun shop where I bought a previous gun at and he can get the Saker 7.62 in for 880 plus tax and NFA transfer fee, which his is $50. So Total with everything it would be roughly $983 for the Saker plus the stamp then. The Saker was the one I had my hopes up for. I understand the wait will be longer but he has none in stock as it is and is a lot closer than the other shop, which I have no problem going back to he was awesome. I really cant find any other shop in my area that has any in stock. I might keep looking and reaching out to closer shops and see but I'm wanting the Saker. I will go with the 7.62 Saker if I can so I can get the 556 mount for more suppression. There are just so many choices out there lol. I'm still a little torn cause of the extra wait time if I go the Saker route. My next choice might be the AAC SR-7 maybe.

I do want to get the trust set up first so Im trying to find a local lawyer that is willing to help me out on that for a decent price.
    Last edited by Credz; 27 October 2014 at 17:14.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I recently got my SDN 762. It mounts solid on my rifle, it absolutely quiet on my 300 Blackout SBR with the 220 gr remington subsonics (other than the action cycling. So that would be my pick of the ones on your list.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks JonQ. Seems like no matter what I choose I can't go wrong I guess. I almost narrowed it down to the Saker 7.62 (if I want to wait extra time), SDN-6 or the SR-7. That Phantom Ti still catches my eye but I rather have more durability.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got my Saker 7.62 a couple weeks ago and really impressed . Ive been running it on a 7in 5.56 a 14.5 6.8spc & a 24in 308

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome! I think I may go the Saker route and just deal with the extra wait time it takes. I did ask a few other shops what they had instock as well to see if they had it but we will see I guess :)

Like I mentioned I do want to get the trust started before I move forward so i know how much money I have left to put towards it but I think the Saker is still a go if so.