Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

OPTICS Question/Suggestions

As some of the forum members know already I am right smack dab in the middle of an AR build.

Without going into brutal details here is what I am building... I will soon be putting together a plinker that is designed more for general accuracy. It's not supposed to be an entry gun or something where I am trying to raid a building, but more like a target gun.

That said my AR will be scoped with some kind of optic. Here is what I am after.

Based sheerly on logistics around where I live 300 yards would be about the longest shot you could take with any kind of gun. It's very forested. Unless you go to a dedicated range then you can go way out (a friend up the road has a 1400 yard range in the back yard)...but that is not what I am after.

My primary target range is going to be 200 yards. I want accuracy withing that range. I would like an optic that can get to 300 if I need to scout around or take an odd shot if need be.

One thing I like is the reticle on an ACOG where it has the multiple cross hairs and it's designed for the .223/5.56 round and has the drop compensator and so forth.

The ACOG is on the short list but I want to see other options of straight illuminated or not illuminated optics that can meet my 300 yard target range.

I've also seen some scopes that are rail mounted but they have a wide barrel on them so it kind of cuts back on the squinting.

I am not fully versed in eye relief and all that...but I saw one optic that could be an alternative choice to an acog... it was about 6 inches long and had a fat barrel, and I was thinking that with the right level of magnification that would be good.

I do not want a red dot. Cross hairs are more where it's at. I also don't want to over do it. I don't need the scope on my 300 win mag for the AR I am building. I am thinking something light and easy.

Quality is a MUST. I don't like cheap stuff that breaks or gets knocked off center.

Again this is for something like the sig sauer CP1 optical scope would be sort of what i am talking about.

I want to make an educated choice. ACOG is on the list... but what are some other QUALITY options that meet my basic requirements?

One other thing to throw in there is I tested one briefly at the sporting goods store where I could shoot with both eyes open. I could still use periferal vision at least to some degree but I still had the option for scope like performance. I don't want to over do it on the magnification but I don't want to under do it either.

Any options? Suggestions? Ideally I would make a list (of which the ACOG will be on) and then make an educated choice as to which of the lot will provide the best price/value for my purposes.

It is also very unlikely I will be shooting at night either.

If you have an ideas please list specifics so I can get an idea of what to compare.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is a relatively inexpensive optic, but so far I'm very impressed for the price.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...ead.php?t=6436

My second suggestion would be something from Vortex, their viper PST line. 1-4x or 2.5-10x

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to recommend vortex as well. I have 2 vipers. One in 6.5x20x44 Bd the other is a x50. I also have a Sparc on my latest build all are top quality and you'd be hard pressed to find such quality without dropping some major $$$

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    I have to recommend vortex as well. I have 2 vipers. One in 6.5x20x44 Bd the other is a x50. I also have a Sparc on my latest build all are top quality and you'd be hard pressed to find such quality without dropping some major $$$
    And vortex warranty is second to none.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    And vortex warranty is second to none.
    Indeed!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am thinking something like this:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/85817

It's got the reticle that I like and the size that I like... but I am not sure if there are other options out there that might be something along those lines.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will check out those Vortex for sure. On the list.... I am looking at all options.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For my range and size can someone tell me about what kind of magnification level that would fall under? On the ACOG a 4x32 is pretty good (duh)... but on a regular scope like I was saying I don't want overkill.

On this stuff coming from a shotgunner background I am not all that versed in magnifactions or eye relief or any of that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Personally I have to say a lot of that depend on you. I wear glasses and have a horrible astigmatism. I need the extra zoom to see comfortably. Hence the high powered scopes on my hunting/long range rifles. While others can get away with a 1-6 or similar I couldn't see the target if I tried with the above. Me personally I'd rather have too much than not enough.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you looked at the Swarovski Z6i 1-6? It's pricey but worth every dollar in my experience. The FOV is incredible and the glass is the kind of quality you'd expect from that company. The dot is brighter than my Aimpoints and has a day and a night setting. You can of course turn it off and use the crosshairs.

The BRT reticle is essentially a mil dot tree and will give you everything you need out to 600 yards. I don't baby my gear and both of the Z6I's I have are unaffected. One is on a 7.62 rifle. It's as light or lighter than any scope in its class. If I could have only one optic to use for all tasks, this would be it.

This is me zeroing the 5.56 rifle with it.

I was so impressed with it that I got a second for my7.62. Both performed exactly as needed during a precision rifle course taught by Jack "Failure2Stop" Leuba.

Downloads
    Uploads

Off the top of my head, along the lines of the sig optic, burris makes a few like that, and primary arms also do, 4x and 6x fixed magnification I believe.

On the powers, I would say I could comfortably shoot my 1-6x at 300yds, ring steel further out probably. 3-9 will definitely be enough for 300yds. It does depend on your vision though. I'm 20/15 in my dominant eye. Another thing you might look into is field of view at a certain magnification on certain optics.

I have a 1-6 primary arms and 3-9 nikon on AR's and I'd feel confident in making a good shot at 300 with either.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    Personally I have to say a lot of that depend on you. I wear glasses and have a horrible astigmatism. I need the extra zoom to see comfortably. Hence the high powered scopes on my hunting/long range rifles. While others can get away with a 1-6 or similar I couldn't see the target if I tried with the above. Me personally I'd rather have too much than not enough.
    The last time I went to the optometrist for a check up when he got to 20/10 he told me to get up and go home. :) I don't wear glasses of any kind.

Here is another option...

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/N...C-Carbine.html

Something not too honkin' big is one requirement or rather preference.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    The last time I went to the optometrist for a check up when he got to 20/10 he told me to get up and go home. :) I don't wear glasses of any kind.

Here is another option...

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/N...C-Carbine.html

Something not too honkin' big is one requirement or rather preference.
    I work for an eye doctor, so I get that stuff taken care of for me. We deal Zeiss lenses...really trying to get the owner to put me in an order for a scope at cost.

3x isn't go as give you very much leeway at 200-300yds I feel

Downloads
    Uploads
    So far this Nikon one looks very attractive.

Or something like that. I am scouring the internet but I am not really sure what I am after. If I have to sacrifice the 300 yard mark and live with 200 yards I am fine with that... just so long as the scope isn't huge and has crosshairs, preferrably with mil dots etc. I really like the range finding thing on the ACOG so that stuff would be cool too. But I simply don't know what I am after or if I even 'really' want a 1000 bucks optic... or if I even need one... yeah it would be nice but I am trying to think through before I start buying more stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    3x isn't go as give you very much leeway at 200-300yds I feel
    ????