Downloads
    Uploads

.22 conversion, .22 upper or dedicated .22?

So, along with the pistol I am building I've been wanting to pick up either a .22 conversion, .22 upper or an M&P15-22.

While I think the .22 conversion kit would be the most cost effective, is it the best tool?

The conversion allows me use my AR the way I have it set up. I don't have to use an upper or another AR that will be set up differently.
    Once my pistol is built, I can drop it into either one.

A dedicated upper is an option but I haven't really looked at them.

M&P15-22. Obviously, having another functional firearm rather than a kit seems like a win.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rainier Arms .22's are very nice. Not cheap but a top quality rifle with good accuracy. They are selling just uppers now also. When my old FFL retired he gave me a ISSC .22 SCAR clone that is not only fun to shoot but very accurate. It's built like airsoft crap but has a Walther barrel. Since my son has taken interest in shooting I have been putting a good bit of trigger time behind my .22's. He's six and his passion for shooting has got me full force again. Lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Rainier Arms .22's are very nice. Not cheap but a top quality rifle with good accuracy. They are selling just uppers now also. When my old FFL retired he gave me a ISSC .22 SCAR clone that is not only fun to shoot but very accurate. It's built like airsoft crap but has a Walther barrel. Since my son has taken interest in shooting I have been putting a good bit of trigger time behind my .22's. He's six and his passion for shooting has got me full force again. Lol
    That's awesome. I hope my daughter wants to get into it.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm going with a dedicated upper. I have enough lowers to slap it onto, so a dedicated gun isn't a big deal to me. I was also thinking about the S&W M&P, but ultimately decided I didn't want an injection molded rifle. I want to be able to use the same accessories as my 5.56 uppers. That's just a personal preference though.

I'm waiting for Rainier to produce a 10.5" .22 upper.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I'm going with a dedicated upper. I have enough lowers to slap it onto, so a dedicated gun isn't a big deal to me. I was also thinking about the S&W M&P, but ultimately decided I didn't want an injection molded rifle. I want to be able to use the same accessories as my 5.56 uppers. That's just a personal preference though.

I'm waiting for Rainier to produce a 10.5" .22 upper.
    I'm a dedicated upper fan, as well, and went that route a few years ago. Even though it's heavier and has a shorter handguard (in its current config) which is a bit "less comfortable" for my long arms, I absolutely trust the upper (now a dedicated lower with with the upper). It happens to be a Nordic Component NC-22 (review is here on the site) which is hard to get your hands on now, so may not be as relevant.

I grabbed a 15/22 as a "toy" to get my GF/now-wife into the AR form factor since it's very light, and it's been a great gun, but I just haven't put as many rounds through it as my NC-22. I think SW did a great job with it, it's easy to clean, and it seems to run the typical bulk ammo that (used to be) is available. I do question the longevity of the plastic, since it's mostly a plastic gun, but I'm sure it will be fine for some time.

The end-result price between the two makes the 15/22 come out ahead, despite me being in love with my NC-22. You get a complete gun and don't have to worry about switching lowers if you don't have spare, all for the low price of ~$500. I don't think you'll be too upset going that route.

For conversions, you have to worry about dirtying up the host gun, which may or may not be an issue when it comes to fouling. Since I don't own a conversion, I can't say if it matters, but I've read elsewhere, it might be an issue.

Downloads
    Uploads
    dedicated .22 all the way
    SpR .22

AR Pistol in .22
    Last edited by toolboxluis00200; 30 October 2014 at 14:39.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've kind of been wondering the same question. $0.11/round vs. $0.36/round starts to add up after a while.

I know everyone thus far has said to go with a dedicated upper, but I was curious if there's anything wrong with a .22 conversion. At least, mechanically speaking, are there any downsides to using a .22 conversion over a long period of time, vs. a dedicated upper?

Also, between a .22 conversion and a dedicated upper, does one have more backing/support in the industry than the other?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've run all three, and honestly the M&P 15-22s are awesome. However, I started with a conversion bolt (Spike's), and then ended up building a dedicated .22LR upper using a Lothar Walther barrel from Spike's, then their barrel extension collar. I can now run the same BCG in either my 5.56mm rifles with the chamber adapter, or I can throw it in my dedicated upper (which is where it lives 99% of the time).

The conversions are fine for blasting, or other shooting and moving practice on steel. However, if you want to actually work on marksmanship, you'll want the dedicated upper or the S&W M&P 15-22. Both are more accurate than dropping a conversion in.

I built mine to be an exact replica of my main 5.56mm upper, so I could use my main lower and get more trigger time in (without blasting through all my 5.56mm stash). However, I built mine in the fall of 2012, and well, .22LR was pretty much impossible to obtain after Christmas that year.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    That's awesome. I hope my daughter wants to get into it.
    My 8 yr. old daughter enjoys shooting also, but she is much more passive and does not ask to go on her own. My son never stops asking. LOL how old is your daughter?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Will@AR15Hunter View Post
    I've run all three, and honestly the M&P 15-22s are awesome. However, I started with a conversion bolt (Spike's), and then ended up building a dedicated .22LR upper using a Lothar Walther barrel from Spike's, then their barrel extension collar. I can now run the same BCG in either my 5.56mm rifles with the chamber adapter, or I can throw it in my dedicated upper (which is where it lives 99% of the time).

The conversions are fine for blasting, or other shooting and moving practice on steel. However, if you want to actually work on marksmanship, you'll want the dedicated upper or the S&W M&P 15-22. Both are more accurate than dropping a conversion in.

I built mine to be an exact replica of my main 5.56mm upper, so I could use my main lower and get more trigger time in (without blasting through all my 5.56mm stash). However, I built mine in the fall of 2012, and well, .22LR was pretty much impossible to obtain after Christmas that year.
    Great info.
    Mine will not be used for marksmanship. Running & gunning and drills here.
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Will@AR15Hunter View Post
    Probably a combo of each for me. Dedicated route for me then.