Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mega Arms 308 Barrel problem

I have never seen this in any of my AR-15 Barrels. This is from a Mega 20" 308 barrel with matching upper and lower, dpms 308 bolt. Any info would help. My rounds are getting gouged to heck. I'm not sure if this is contributing to my shots being flung all over paper. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know this is probably a stupid question but is the barrel nut tightened to spec and is there any side to side play when the barrel is mated to the receiver before tightening?
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No side play, it fit like a glove into the upper. The barrel is torqued to 40 lbs. Good questions though

Downloads
    Uploads
    What kind of gouging?

I had a similar issue while helping a friend build up at .308, but it was the extractor not the barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Take a look at the pic, if you haven't. It's on the right hand sides of the feed ramps right before the chamber. It's gouging the sides of the bullets when they feed. I'm hoping my bolt isn't causing this upon extraction.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by stihl2much4u View Post
    Take a look at the pic, if you haven't. It's on the right hand sides of the feed ramps right before the chamber. It's gouging the sides of the bullets when they feed. I'm hoping my bolt isn't causing this upon extraction.
    I could be the bolt like UWone77 mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by stihl2much4u View Post
    His picture wasn't showing for me so I uploaded it to my site and this is what is causing the gouging. looks like the bolt pulled on the lugs on the feed ramps

Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with Comp's diagnosis.

I mention the Bolt, as not only a friend, but I've also had my own DPMS .308 Bolt that was causing me problems with extraction and denting cases. If you're able to, try a different BCG. That's how I narrowed my problem.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just had a DPMS bolt not headspace on a Rainier Ultra-match .308 barrel. It tested out just fine on a DPMS barrel and a JP barrel. JP enhanced bolt headspaced correctly on all three barrels. It felt like something was binding trying to pull it out of battery with the charging handle. That caused me to actually break out the gauges.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks a bunch! I will order a different bolt. I have seen the jp bolt on Rainer. Thanks again

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

I mention the Bolt, as not only a friend, but I've also had my own DPMS .308 Bolt that was causing me problems with extraction and denting cases. If you're able to, try a different BCG. That's how I narrowed my problem.
    Not long ago, I purchased a DPMS that I could confirm only had about 20 rounds through it. Came from an estate sale. Before I ever fired a shot, I noticed that the bolt was sticking or would not properly seat went sent forward to battery. I purchased an aftermarket NiB bolt for it and problem solved. I too suspect quality problems with the bolt. I bought the gun at a very cheap price, but had no time to research it, it was one of those take it now or pass on it situations. But after acquiring it, a little research led me to others who had problems with DPMS .308 bolts. Not sure if this helps or not, but I'm quite sure I would have had problems, had I taken it to the range the way I got it, and put 100 or more rounds through it.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

Do you have any recommendations for a new bcg? I've been looking since this post but can't seem to narrow anything of quality down. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    not sure of your budget, but Fulton Armory has a following on 308ar, and I love my Shadow Ops Weaponry NiB bcg... solved my issues in my LR308
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've already got a bunch of money dumped into this thing, so my budget is pretty much whatever will make it operate correctly. Thanks for the idea. I'll check them out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've used AIM .308 BCGs with good luck. The problem is, in the .308 world, there isn't a BCM type gold standard BCG or bolt, so it me, it's a real crap shoot. I would also look at Aero.