Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another Rail... Alternative Ideas please

The only part that I am lacking now for my build is a rail.

I had a Gieselle MK2 15 inch rail in my hands but the problem is I paid full price but the thing had small manufacturing defects on it.

By small, it appears that someone at the factory dinged the thing on the side and marred it up but then anondized it anyway.

It was pretty cosmetic, but I paid full price for a brand new rail...hence I have decided to ship the thing back.

I was informed that that model is a discontinued item though... I am sure I could probably find another floating around the internet somewhere... but I am interested in alternative ideas.

Don't get me wrong, I would put that Gieselle on the AR in a heartbeat and would love it. I love the feel of it in my hand.

But for the sake of argument, I am looking for a 15 inch rail. It cannot be a quad rail. I would like one that will allow me to put little sections of rail where I need them, but I am looking for something that could possibly be a competitor to the gieselle...

It's either A) hunt down another (discontinued) item somewhere else... or B) find something similar in nature.

Fire away. I would love to hear forum members ideas. I hear the term 'key mod' and I am not quite sure what that means...

15 inch black rail, flat top, must be a very respectable manufacturer (no cheap chinese anything).... free float all the way.

The Gieselle has the swag factor for sure... but I am just not sure about my options.

Once I get a few good options down then I can narrow my choices based on more experienced advice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a look at a Noveske keymod rail. See the row of what looks like half circles with a notch? That's one of 3 rows of keymod on this particular rail, being at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. This method of directly attaching accessories makes Keymod cool for me personally. You can still mount rails where you'd like but also any keymod stuff will go on and off in seconds without using rails.

Geissele makes amazing gear, but so do a lot of other companies! it's a wonderful time to be an AR15 enthusiast. Really it just comes down to what you want in your platform. I liked the fact my 13" noveske NSR was slim (1.5" diameter), used keymod and was fairly lightweight.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bravo Company KMR. It's the lightest, and one of the strongest set ups out there, and it's stupid easy to install. I do like the NSR as well but the BCM is what I buy now.

Another option is the M-lok system from Magpul. Midwest Industries makes a very light and strong 15" in their SS gen2 series.
    Last edited by VIPER 237; 3 November 2014 at 17:32.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPER 237 View Post
    Bravo Company KMR. It's the lightest, and one of the strongest set ups out there, and it's stupid easy to install. I do like the NSR as well but the BCM is what I buy now.
    ^This. I got impatient waiting for BCM to release KMR seemingly all summer and bought the noveske 2 weeks before they finally did. Oh well set me on a good path towards a kick ass noveske build

Downloads
    Uploads
    Noveske, BCM, Rainier Force, SLR rifleworks, parallax tactical. Too many options.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPER 237 View Post

Another option is the M-lok system from Magpul. Midwest Industries makes a very light and strong 15" in their SS gen2 series.
    Magpul... eh.... I am looking for something more along the lines of metal for this one... the Bravo Company KMR looks great. I like it. I just can't find one that is back and 15" anywhere online :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wilson Combats Trim rail is one of my favorites...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    Too many options.
    You're telling me!

This is part of the reason I haven't even tried to get into AR's until now. I've eyed it and saved for 2 years...but what is 'good' and what is crap... too much marketing. I get a marketing headache when I think about all this AR stuff.

Too many options with some being great stuff but others being cheapo knock off rip off stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll agree there are a TON of great options out right now. It's actually harder to find a bad rail IMHO.

I just can't break away from these super narrow LW styles. Once i found the Troy alpha a few years back that was it for me..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Magpul... eh.... I am looking for something more along the lines of metal for this one... the Bravo Company KMR looks great. I like it. I just can't find one that is back and 15" anywhere online :)
    Haha no its a new attachment system that Magpul developed and many manufactures have jumped on board. It is similar to the Keymod system but some say may have some advantages.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're telling me!

This is part of the reason I haven't even tried to get into AR's until now. I've eyed it and saved for 2 years...but what is 'good' and what is crap... too much marketing. I get a marketing headache when I think about all this AR stuff.

Too many options with some being great stuff but others being cheapo knock off rip off stuff.
    If this is your first AR then STOP!
    Go and directly buy a Colt 6720 or 6920.
    Buying a quality rifle up front and save a ton which you need to invest in LOTS of rounds. Once you get a couple thousand rounds through it you wouldn't need to ask about parts. You'll get the feel of what you like and what you would possibly want to replace in the future on your actual build

Welcome to the WEVO disease. Stay awhile!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I assembled a upper for a friend with the Fortis REV and was surprised how much I liked it. Light and seemingly very strong. It does have continuous top and bottom rails though. I just ordered a Daniel Defense SLiM rail in 15" for a new build. I prefer their barrel nut and mounting system to most other designs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    If this is your first AR then STOP!
    Too late. I need a rail and I am all set. Everything else is done. My lower is already assembled and have all the parts for the upper (except now the rail).

Downloads
    Uploads
    My favorites at the moment are the rainier force and SLR solo ultralight.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Too late. I need a rail and I am all set. Everything else is done. My lower is already assembled and have all the parts for the upper (except now the rail).
    Oops missed that part... Well in that case proceed

Do you have a build thread here I maybe missed? Seeing what other components you've choose can help determine what you need/lack