Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I use a victorinox 10" shaft style. Really the only style I have ever regularly used. I also have a set of sharpening stones that were left to me when my grandad passed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    While on the subject of knives, what are you guys using for sharpeners? I need to put an edge back on my ridgeback and esee knives before deer season.
    REALLY sharpening a knife is as much art as it is science. At one point I had my DPX HEST Milspec so sharp (for that knife) that I could drop a tomato from about a foot up onto the stationary blade and it would slice clean through.

If you have the funds and really really like knives get a wicked edge.

I found some cheap one on amazon/ebay where you can set the angle for the grind, and it has swappable stones all the way up to grit 10,000. Free handing it is not that easy to get a consistent edge. It might get somewhat sharp but it takes a lot of time and practice.

If I could find someone locally who will put a proper edge on it at the angles I like I would just drop it off and let them do it. Most of the ones I have seen use machine grinders though and I don't like those so every once in a while I break out my unweildy and somewhat not user friendly, but relatively effective cheapo Amazon special.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got that right... Art, science, skill and practice. I know the tool you are referring to, my father in law has one, he's still learning how to master it.

I have never paid to have my knives sharpened, but have considered it. I do have my cutco kitchen knives sharpened as they do it free for life.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KW900A View Post
    Got that right... Art, science, skill and practice. I know the tool you are referring to, my father in law has one, he's still learning how to master it.
    After I am done with my AR build I might invest some time and money to build my own sharpener for the knife(s) I have and predominantly use (HEST folder). The blade shape doesn't work well with that style of sharpener but if you take your time it can be done.

I got it 'right' a couple times but I have been inconsistent at others...but man, when it gets done right there ain't nothing like a REALLY sharp knife.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I started out using a lansky kit but it was a pain for thicker spined blades. I switched over to the work sharp Ken onion edition and can't say enough about it. It makes sharpening and changing edge angles quick and easy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Spyderco Sharpmaker. Easy to use, consistent results. I can get a razor edge in about 2 minutes with any knife I own.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, well a mini griptillian is in the mail! Thanks for the help! I don't think I would have found this particular knife without y'all's help...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KW900A View Post
    Ok, well a mini griptillian is in the mail! Thanks for the help! I don't think I would have found this particular knife without y'all's help...
    Where'd you order from?

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/BM5...e-Black-Handle

I debated getting her the sand handle, but it was 3-4 weeks out so I didn't want to press my luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If the sand shows up in stock though, I may still order it and keep the black handle for myself, seeing as how I don't have one of these either...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Knife came... Stupid me had to play with it... Now I want one

You can definitely feel the quality. Solid grip and super smooth mechanics. Very nice piece indeed. Thanks again for all the help!