Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KW900A View Post
    I just scrolled through those DPX knives. They are very nice looking. Little pricey for a Christmas present. But not for a Christmas present to me
    Either way bro, you can't go wrong. For a HEAT (the smaller one) you are looking about $150 for a lifetime knife. For about $25 more you can get the HEST which is a bit bigger.... but not too big.

They have hands down been the best knives I have ever owned or used.

And plus they have a lifetime warranty. Anything breaks it gets fixed or replaced. Period.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 7 November 2014 at 17:18.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd also suggest checking out the kershaw skyline. Excellent blade and super light.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pelton might be a well known writer, but he's also a thin-skinned douchebag who had an emo seizure all over another forum when his first run of HEST knives came out, and I don't care if his knives are made of BJs he'll never see a dollar of my money.

Spyderco Techno if you love your sister, Spyderco Dragonfly in ZDP if you just like her.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by din View Post
    Pelton might be a well known writer, but he's also a thin-skinned douchebag who had an emo seizure all over another forum when his first run of HEST knives came out, and I don't care if his knives are made of BJs he'll never see a dollar of my money.
    Have you ever met, or talked to, or conversed with the man? EVER? Quick lipped and sharp tongued he most certainly can be but he's also one of the nicest guys ever. But he still has designed and makes one of the better set of knives on the market which is the point to this thread. Not bringing up old vendettas, which now need to be addressed.

Do you even know anything about the 'incident' at hand by the way?

On said forum there was a knife reviewer (who is Asian) and a customer (and friend) of Pelton. He was an online knife reviewer. He had a serious facial deformity but none the less he still did knife reviews on YouTube. A guy on the forum began aggressively insulting him (I'm not sure if or which exact slurs he used) but Pelton took up for the guy. He basically told the one guy who was trying to be anonymous (and who was doing the attacking) to stop the manner in which he was doing it.

He didn't stop-- so Pelton let him have it. He was trying to hide behind a screen name and attack someone who was more public so Pelton did in fact let the dude have it. This person who got butt hurt was also apparently friends and the right hand man with the site managers so they went back and selectively deleted their friend's comments. Also the other side of the story, rumor has it that the particular site in question owed money to RYP and several other knife companies and didn't want to pay up so they used all that as a scapegoat.

Now a Hattfield's and McCoy's feud kept on and on and on going trying to slander Pelton as a person, but people only get half the story in the process and usually not the real story. If you're gotta pass a rumor try finding out the whole story first.

It still doesn't matter. Feuds are feuds. Things happen. But half the people who talk trash about Pelton over this have 1. never talked to the guy ever, nor even tried to get to know him 2. Never tried to even look at, touch or handle a product that he puts out.

Yeah, Pelton is a friend of mine. Yes there was an altercation, but over what and the resulting fallout over it matters. You're slandering people I know by making some baseless one sided comment like that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Benchmade mini Griptilian or Osbourne Axis. Spyderco Endura, might be a bit large though. The Benchmade Axis lock is a great system. Super easy to open and close one-handed. The Griptilian line has brass bushings for tight lockup and extremely smooth operation. Probably my favorite folding knife, and I have owned and used quite a few ...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    tl;dr.
    it doesn't take a whole lot of character not to blow up about something online, and yeah, I watched the entire thing unfold. If it walks like a douche and smells like a douche...He goes in the same bin as Ernie Emerson and that fucking fraud Mick Stryder.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by din View Post
    it doesn't take a whole lot of character not to blow up about something online, and yeah, I watched the entire thing unfold. If it walks like a douche and smells like a douche...He goes in the same bin as Ernie Emerson and that fucking fraud Mick Stryder.

Back to the subject of quality knives (and not beefs of one type or another) there are several very good brands of knives, including DPX and others mentioned here.

Hopefully we can show the OP some specific options to help him spend his money

More info on products=wiser and better decisions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well... I have looked at every suggested knife and brand mentioned in this thread. I appreciate everyones input, but I do believe she is getting the Mini Griptilian. I keep going back to that one, while I actually do not own any Benchmade knives myself, I am familiar with their quality and have handled them. Someone mentioned the LEO/MIL discount, which I cannot use. Are there any good online retailers to buy them through, or other ways to get a break on the price? Picking the steel and engraving makes it a little pricier than I'd like, so I was curious as to any other ways to save a buck or two.

Thanks again for all the help!

*I did add a HEST 6 Milspec to my Christmas list though....

Downloads
    Uploads

Great choice. I have 3 DPx blades myself, and they are very nice blades. I think your sister will be happy with a mini-griptillian. I've actually had better luck finding blades like Benchmades used (but either never used or never opened) on the secondary market.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another option in that size and price range is the Spyderco Native. Lightweight, thin, easy to carry, 3.125" blade, CPM S30V steel. Under $80 street price.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well... I have looked at every suggested knife and brand mentioned in this thread. I appreciate everyones input, but I do believe she is getting the Mini Griptilian. I keep going back to that one, while I actually do not own any Benchmade knives myself, I am familiar with their quality and have handled them. Someone mentioned the LEO/MIL discount, which I cannot use. Are there any good online retailers to buy them through, or other ways to get a break on the price? Picking the steel and engraving makes it a little pricier than I'd like, so I was curious as to any other ways to save a buck or two.

Thanks again for all the help!

Here are some for $89.25 and free shipping:
    http://www2.knifecenter.com/kc_new/s...ini+griptilian

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    MIL/LEO discount puts a standard mini griptilian around $80 + shipping....so anything in the area of $90 is about as each as you get.

Downloads
    Uploads
    While on the subject of knives, what are you guys using for sharpeners? I need to put an edge back on my ridgeback and esee knives before deer season.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    While on the subject of knives, what are you guys using for sharpeners? I need to put an edge back on my ridgeback and esee knives before deer season.
    I have a guy locally that does it - he's a pro.

He charges $1.50 an inch on any blade (including custom work) and you normally get it back in a week (including shipping) - PM if you want info.